Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of going to a road shoe as my triathlon shoe. I pretty much race 70.3 distance exclusively. I noticed Lucy Charles wears them, although she is sponsored by Specialized. I hear it is the best road shoe. It’s insanely light (~224g) and I like the dual BOA. Supposedly it’s about the best road shoe for power transfer. One issue is getting your foot in the shoe. Also, I noticed it had a high heel. Charles goes sockless, but it has me wondering if heel chafing could be an issue along with entry and exit into the shoe. I see that Lange and many others use the Shimano S Phyre. This shoe looks better from a standpoint of entry/exit, but the S Works has better power transfer. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe for triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I’m thinking of going to a road shoe as my triathlon shoe. I pretty much race 70.3 distance exclusively. I noticed Lucy Charles wears them, although she is sponsored by Specialized. I hear it is the best road shoe. It’s insanely light (~224g) and I like the dual BOA. Supposedly it’s about the best road shoe for power transfer. One issue is getting your foot in the shoe. Also, I noticed it had a high heel. Charles goes sockless, but it has me wondering if heel chafing could be an issue along with entry and exit into the shoe. I see that Lange and many others use the Shimano S Phyre. This shoe looks better from a standpoint of entry/exit, but the S Works has better power transfer. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe for triathlon?

No experience with that particular shoe no but what I can say is that better power transfer is crock. Fwiw, both shoes you are listing are significantly heavier and are going to be less aero than something like the Giro Empire SLX. My 42.5 Giro Empires weigh 160g (each) as I ride them. Never any chaffing issues up to 7 hours of wet/sloppy Florida riding.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion on the Giro Empire. The weight is excellent and they are apparently very stiff and super comfy. I’ll be honest, I’m not crazy about the laces. Have you ever had them come loose or untied and how do they work for triathlon? I guess you tie them and run through transition in them versus mounting the shoes already clipped in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's an entire thread on this. Giro SLX laces thread.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the sworks 7 shoe. I can't begin to imagine how you'd get your foot into it using a flying mount. The ankle is really snug and it can be a challenge just to get the thing on when you're not on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good feedback. If you use the S Works 7 for training then what do you use for races?

benb wrote:
I've got the sworks 7 shoe. I can't begin to imagine how you'd get your foot into it using a flying mount. The ankle is really snug and it can be a challenge just to get the thing on when you're not on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read a few pages per your guidance. As much as the appeal of a very light shoe is to me, I have concerns about elastic laces on a cycling shoe. Sure they’re easy to get in and out of but what about keeping the foot firmly in place? As well, there’s no way I’m going to butcher a brand new pair of $200-$300 shoes.

ericMPro wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read that guide thoroughly before making my own with a pair of the cheaper Giro Empire ACC. I have not yet cut out the tongue as most of my races have been on the slightly colder side but I will be before Eagleman 70.3 I think. Literally the only time I've had issues with the elastic laces "holding my feet in" is during 5second max power intervals on the trainer. Even then they just tug up a little bit, my feet stayed in the shoe.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both of those are excellent shoes, though I think the specialized shoes are a bit overpriced for what they are. I would not worry about the weight, but get the one that fits better - You can definitely do flying mounts with a BOA shoe, but it can be a bit tricky to get the shoe to open up for you, and then you have a bit of cranking to do. The new Fizik shoes, both road and tri, are great too, but also quite expensive. I can highly recommend Crono shoes too.

Or... if you can wait until the end of the season I have something coming out you might like :)

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The S Works 7 is ridiculously high priced. Not exactly a shoe you want to piss into. My last few 70.3’s I haven’t went on the bike, but if you gotta go then you gotta go. I’d likely need to use them for training for a while before transitioning to races. The S-Phyre looks like a solid option too. I’m looking mostly at a secure fit and good power transfer. I think people spend too much time pondering how quick they get in and out of a shoe rather than contemplating the thousands of pedal strokes and hours spent in the saddle.

RowToTri wrote:
Both of those are excellent shoes, though I think the specialized shoes are a bit overpriced for what they are. I would not worry about the weight, but get the one that fits better - You can definitely do flying mounts with a BOA shoe, but it can be a bit tricky to get the shoe to open up for you, and then you have a bit of cranking to do. The new Fizik shoes, both road and tri, are great too, but also quite expensive. I can highly recommend Crono shoes too.

Or... if you can wait until the end of the season I have something coming out you might like :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I read a few pages per your guidance. As much as the appeal of a very light shoe is to me, I have concerns about elastic laces on a cycling shoe. Sure they’re easy to get in and out of but what about keeping the foot firmly in place? As well, there’s no way I’m going to butcher a brand new pair of $200-$300 shoes.

ericMPro wrote:

You don't have to butcher the shoes. The tongues are attached by about 10-12 stitches. Just cut those stitches with a thread-ripper and keep the tongues in a drawer. You can always sew the tongues back on with a simple needle and thread if you ever want to take it back to a "road only" shoe.

From experience, the tongue is useless. They're just as comfy and much cooler without tongues.

I'll second the statement about elastic laces not causing issues with your foot sliding around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

Fwiw, Matt Russell, Jesse Thomas, Cody Beals, Kelsey Withrow, Kirsty Jahn are just a few pros that have WON Ironman races on this setup. Each with a slightly different version of my original. My buddy Jake Rhyner just rode a 2:05 at Ironman GC and he keeps the tongue in. No closure method will keep your foot firmly in place, and a foot completely fixed is probably not what you want either. I can't believe this on 3 years ago, seems like forever ago. http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...es-aerodynamics.html

With that being said, no worries. Ride what makes you confident, that is what is most important anyway. I am incredibly proud of the number of athletes, pro and alike on this shoe. For the pros, they are not sponsored too!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to race and train in a Bontrager Hilo RXL and was looking to replace them as they're almost worn out. I was hoping I would be able to replace them with the sworks 7, but sadly its not practical to race in them. I'm still looking at options for a new race shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your suggestion. I’m not trying to be dismissive and I will consider it as I did some immediate research from your guidance. Do you just race in these or are they your training shoes too?

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

Fwiw, Matt Russell, Jesse Thomas, Cody Beals, Kelsey Withrow, Kirsty Jahn are just a few pros that have WON Ironman races on this setup. Each with a slightly different version of my original. My buddy Jake Rhyner just rode a 2:05 at Ironman GC and he keeps the tongue in. No closure method will keep your foot firmly in place, and a foot completely fixed is probably not what you want either. I can't believe this on 3 years ago, seems like forever ago. http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...es-aerodynamics.html

With that being said, no worries. Ride what makes you confident, that is what is most important anyway. I am incredibly proud of the number of athletes, pro and alike on this shoe. For the pros, they are not sponsored too!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m hardly an expert here, but I’ve never owned a road or tri shoe where there was any noticeable (or actual based on PM) difference in power. I would recommend considering other criteria for your shoe choice. I’m quite confident they will all provide ample power transfer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swapped to the S-works 7 earlier this year from the 2012/13 S-works shoe. I don't do a running mount, as others say that would be hard, but I have no issue with dismounting - the new one is easier as you can unclip the boa and lift out. I'm sure you could do this with a flying mount if you want. I also wear socks - I race 140.6s; my 70.3s tend to be kit checks for the longer races hence wearing socks. I haven't tried with teh SW7, but have previously gone sockless in the old version with no issues.

I like them as they fit my feet and I don't give my feet another thought. I don't notice power transfer, etc etc, but when the insole had squashed in the old one I really noticed that shoe. Not thinking about kit (shoe, saddle, shorts, etc) is a key success IMHO. And despite being technically stiffer I don't feel any difference with the new ones.

As for the need to do a flying mount. Hard one. I'e reffed a fair few races in my years, and done mount / dismount in everything from a kids first time tri to world cup, and on the basis of that, the vast majority of people would be better not trying it. Not saying that no-one benefits, but the vast majority would be quicker to have the shoes on, waddle from transition, jump on and power away, as opposed to weaving all over the place and dicking about with their shoes for the first 750m. Way less entertaining for the spectators and marshals, but quicker.

Have you considered their tri version if you have to do the flying mount? The heel drops out and then the boa closes from teh back.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the flying mounts. I’ve seen a lot of time wasted and even accidents. I’d rather get my gear and fit ratcheted down for the next 56 miles.

I’ve looked at the tri vents. I’m mostly interested in a shoe with a stiff glove like fit. It’s an option.

Duncan74 wrote:
I swapped to the S-works 7 earlier this year from the 2012/13 S-works shoe. I don't do a running mount, as others say that would be hard, but I have no issue with dismounting - the new one is easier as you can unclip the boa and lift out. I'm sure you could do this with a flying mount if you want. I also wear socks - I race 140.6s; my 70.3s tend to be kit checks for the longer races hence wearing socks. I haven't tried with teh SW7, but have previously gone sockless in the old version with no issues.

I like them as they fit my feet and I don't give my feet another thought. I don't notice power transfer, etc etc, but when the insole had squashed in the old one I really noticed that shoe. Not thinking about kit (shoe, saddle, shorts, etc) is a key success IMHO. And despite being technically stiffer I don't feel any difference with the new ones.

As for the need to do a flying mount. Hard one. I'e reffed a fair few races in my years, and done mount / dismount in everything from a kids first time tri to world cup, and on the basis of that, the vast majority of people would be better not trying it. Not saying that no-one benefits, but the vast majority would be quicker to have the shoes on, waddle from transition, jump on and power away, as opposed to weaving all over the place and dicking about with their shoes for the first 750m. Way less entertaining for the spectators and marshals, but quicker.

Have you considered their tri version if you have to do the flying mount? The heel drops out and then the boa closes from teh back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you looked at the S-WORKS exos? https://www.specialized.com/...?color=237037-157750
this is the shoe lucy seems to currently ride. having just one boa on the instep and a flexible heelcup, flying mounts should not be a problem.
even lighter then the SW 7 and even more expensive...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
think about it... you don't even need laces to pedal a bike unless you're trying to win a sprint.

mwanner13 wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to butcher a shoe, you'd need the specialized sub 6 not the 7.

mwanner13 wrote:
The S Works 7 is ridiculously high priced. Not exactly a shoe you want to piss into. My last few 70.3’s I haven’t went on the bike, but if you gotta go then you gotta go. I’d likely need to use them for training for a while before transitioning to races. The S-Phyre looks like a solid option too. I’m looking mostly at a secure fit and good power transfer. I think people spend too much time pondering how quick they get in and out of a shoe rather than contemplating the thousands of pedal strokes and hours spent in the saddle.

RowToTri wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [mammamia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. Those are sweet. I’m also looking at the Giro Prolight Techlace, which look’s like Giro used Thomas Gerlach’s R&D. Both shoes are around 150g. Has anyone used the techlace?

mammamia wrote:
have you looked at the S-WORKS exos? https://www.specialized.com/...?color=237037-157750
this is the shoe lucy seems to currently ride. having just one boa on the instep and a flexible heelcup, flying mounts should not be a problem.
even lighter then the SW 7 and even more expensive...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S-Works 6 works pretty well for IM distance by cutting the tongue and adding the flat elastic laces as Gerlach demonstrates with the Giros on his website. The only problem I have with the 6 is the heel cup is rigid which makes it hard to get my feet into them on a flying mount so I wouldn't recommend them for shorter distances. But they seem to check all the aero and comfort boxes. I bought the S-Works Exos recently and will probably use them for future long distance. The shoes are super light with a single frontal boa and 'look' aero. Additionally they have a heel tug to help with the flying mount. And for me personally I never wear socks and have no issues with chaffing or discomfort.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works 7 as Triathlon Shoe [rockchalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Know where you can get a good deal on the exos? They look like they check all the boxes.

rockchalk wrote:
S-Works 6 works pretty well for IM distance by cutting the tongue and adding the flat elastic laces as Gerlach demonstrates with the Giros on his website. The only problem I have with the 6 is the heel cup is rigid which makes it hard to get my feet into them on a flying mount so I wouldn't recommend them for shorter distances. But they seem to check all the aero and comfort boxes. I bought the S-Works Exos recently and will probably use them for future long distance. The shoes are super light with a single frontal boa and 'look' aero. Additionally they have a heel tug to help with the flying mount. And for me personally I never wear socks and have no issues with chaffing or discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately No. They're expensive but cycling shoes last forever. I got a team grass roots discount at my LBS but because the shoe is so new they we're not excited to discount them. If you buy them I'd consider going down a half size compared to other S-Works shoes. I normally wear a 44.5 in specialized but the toe box in these shoes is pretty generous and the 'fabric' they use gives your toes space to move. A 44 would have been better for me because my heel moves around a bit in these. But overall I agree that it's an exciting shoe for triathlon. I'd be interested to hear if others are using this shoe too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a pair of Empire SLX and I could not fit my feet into them, they were just too narrow. The materials felt fantastic and they weighed almost nothing. I just need a wider shoe. If anyone has ideas on something similar that does come wider.... :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next