Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SWIM MISHAPS- more information?
Quote | Reply
I decided to take a potential post to the Boulder 70.3 swim mishap and post it here instead. I feel like there are a lot of us who love this sport and cringe every time a near-peer is pulled from the water and we hear how "fit and ready" this male 45-60 was who left his kids. My apologies if there is another thread that has hit these wickets but I did not see one with recent thoughts or information.

It would be cool and productive to see Ironman, USAT, or even Slowtwitch dive deeper into all of this.

I am guessing, to say these individuals are dying of heart attacks is like saying a busted athlete is on steroids. I am sure there are many legal issues surrounding this all, but to know what exactly happened could be helpful for many of us.

Perhaps, there are even other more specific diagnosis to be aware of. As a gentleman living as a 20 year old and getting into his 40s, it would be good to know more about why some disease or condition might affect me or my fellow athletes more now.

Just from my recent interactions, I have talked to some athletes and other individuals in high stress water situations and SIPE has been one common theme. Anecdotally, in one instance, a friend is going to back to another ironman after a very serious instance at a big event in the swim. I personally think he might be playing with fire. However, if I were in his shoes, I would probably still push the envelope, too.

BOTTOMLINE: Someone should be looking into the specifics of these instances, especially since we have a pretty good grasp on most of the W's minus the Why?

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM MISHAPS- more information? [Billy the Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It would be cool and productive to see Ironman, USAT, or even Slowtwitch dive deeper into all of this.

I could be wrong but I thought slowman did some research on that a few years ago ? Or at least I thought there was some kind of study referenced here.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.espn.com/...ved-three-year-spike

http://www.espn.com/...eed-health-screening

http://www.espn.com/...ontinues-issue-sport

Bonnie Ford, one of the leading Olympic Sports reporters for ESPN has been tracking this issue. These three are just a smattering of the swim-death related articles she's written.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM MISHAPS- more information? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks. Your list of articles seemed to better outline my questions than my post.

At 47 years old, and a greater potential for early heart disease, there is a stronger chance for a cardiac episode. USAT and others are trying to figure this out but it is legally difficult to do so.

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to try to dig up the article or thread, but Dan did some work on this and did a big push to allow for real swim warmups at more races. Boulder 70.3 does have a pretty good warmup opportunity so obviously it's not a silver bullet.

I have no idea if there is a real common cause or few causes that we can all be on the lookout for. It always seems (from vague reporting) like it is some sort of cardiac event complicated by the fact that it happens way out in the water, surrounded by tons of other people, so identifying a person in distress and getting them out of the water in time is almost impossible, no matter how many safety volunteers there are.

For sure, no matter how accomplished you are, I would tell your physician during your annual checkups about these kinds of events and having him/her pay special attention to anything that might contribute to such a situation.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
google is your friend here, check out Dr. Larry Creswell and his blog as well as Minneapolis Heart Institute. If families and authorities are not able or willing to provide additional details on fatalities, near misses, saves and more, the research is limited significantly, so you are right, "legalities" are impactful.
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM MISHAPS- more information? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I'll have to try to dig up the article or thread, but Dan did some work on this and did a big push to allow for real swim warmups at more races. Boulder 70.3 does have a pretty good warmup opportunity so obviously it's not a silver bullet. .

Was it this one: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Triathlon_2986.html ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that there were 4 posts from 2013. I enjoyed and bookmarked all of them in case I might need to revisit them again. Today was the day :)

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Swim_Alive_3374.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._the_Water_3378.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...CD_in_Tri__3382.html

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Screening_3400.html
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM MISHAPS- more information? [Asker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Within "Exit the Swim Alive"... "The evidence so far suggests that those who have died of cardiac arrest during an endurance event in your age range tend more likely to die from congenital heart problems, rather than from heart disease acquired or accumulated since then. The idea is for you to identify this prior to doing something that would trigger a fatal occurrence."

After reading this, I went to a cardiologist. I was about 12 weeks prior to my 2nd Ironman when reading this series, and took an interest in the writing and its contents. It was determined that I had something abnormal with my heart, but the abnormality was known, understood, and it was acceptable for me to continue training and racing.

After 2013, I took 4 years off of full Ironman distance events. When deciding to go back into full Ironman, I went back to cardiologist to be re-tested. All was ok.

Anyway, I was grateful for this series of articles when it was written, and know that others can benefit from it again. Glad it's bumped back to the top for a day or two.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM MISHAPS- more information? [Asker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asker wrote:
Within "Exit the Swim Alive"... "The evidence so far suggests that those who have died of cardiac arrest during an endurance event in your age range tend more likely to die from congenital heart problems, rather than from heart disease acquired or accumulated since then. The idea is for you to identify this prior to doing something that would trigger a fatal occurrence."

After reading this, I went to a cardiologist. I was about 12 weeks prior to my 2nd Ironman when reading this series, and took an interest in the writing and its contents. It was determined that I had something abnormal with my heart, but the abnormality was known, understood, and it was acceptable for me to continue training and racing.

After 2013, I took 4 years off of full Ironman distance events. When deciding to go back into full Ironman, I went back to cardiologist to be re-tested. All was ok.

Anyway, I was grateful for this series of articles when it was written, and know that others can benefit from it again. Glad it's bumped back to the top for a day or two.

Cheers,

What tests did the cardiologist do please?
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM MISHAPS- more information? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EKG (as described within the links)
Told them I was doing long distance triathlon racing and they did the appropriate tests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billy the Kid wrote:
I decided to take a potential post to the Boulder 70.3 swim mishap and post it here instead. I feel like there are a lot of us who love this sport and cringe every time a near-peer is pulled from the water and we hear how "fit and ready" this male 45-60 was who left his kids. My apologies if there is another thread that has hit these wickets but I did not see one with recent thoughts or information.

I am guessing, to say these individuals are dying of heart attacks is like saying a busted athlete is on steroids. I am sure there are many legal issues surrounding this all, but to know what exactly happened could be helpful for many of us.

Perhaps, there are even other more specific diagnosis to be aware of. As a gentleman living as a 20 year old and getting into his 40s, it would be good to know more about why some disease or condition might affect me or my fellow athletes more now.

Just from my recent interactions, I have talked to some athletes and other individuals in high stress water situations and SIPE has been one common theme. Anecdotally, in one instance, a friend is going to back to another ironman after a very serious instance at a big event in the swim. I personally think he might be playing with fire. However, if I were in his shoes, I would probably still push the envelope, too.

BOTTOMLINE: Someone should be looking into the specifics of these instances, especially since we have a pretty good grasp on most of the W's minus the Why?

I'm bumping this post in light of what happened at Cleveland...
Quote Reply