Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14
Quote | Reply
Here are some glamour photos of my new between-the-arms phone mount.
It sits nice and low, and you can probably get your phone perfectly centered between the bars (for anyone who is ocd like me).

It's all metal and everything bolts together, so no crappy wobbly velcro, zip-ties, pvc pipe, etc.

All you need is this $14 'vive comb' mount from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/...ge?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a spare Profile Design J2 bracket (if you don't have one, they are $8 on profiledesign.com).

That's all.

Now you can watch Youtube videos of cats while triathlon-ing.

Quote Reply
Re: SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14 [jackie11111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool idea if you don’t want to use a bike computer.

Just a friendly tip. You should train with your head position at a similar angle as to what it would be on the road. Which is not looking down between your aero bars. Your neck will thank me later.
Last edited by: Bigc2137: Feb 27, 18 22:14
Quote Reply
Re: SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14 [Bigc2137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigc2137 wrote:
Cool idea if you don’t want to use a bike computer.

Just a friendly tip. You should train with your head position at a similar angle as to what it would be on the road. Which is not looking down between your aero bars. Your neck will thank me later.

I MOSTLY keep my head/eyes up while riding, with voice feedback running on the MapMyRide app so it announces to me my speed/distance every quarter mile or so - but I still like glancing down at my phone periodically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that phones are not allowed to be out and visible at USAT events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have something similar but use a few pennies worth of rubber bands :)
Quote Reply
Re: SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14 [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not entirely accurate. USAT does not mention cell phones explicitly, but states participants may not, "use...any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee." -section 3.4i. ITU has a different take, but likewise does not prohibit smart phones per se. They prohibit an athlete from using, "any communication device...in any distractive manner." I would feel pretty confident that the mounting of the phone as demonstrated above and its use as a cycling computer is most certainly within the spirit of the rules and very unlikely to run afoul of letter of the law either. Unless in race documentation or pre-race announcements the Head Referee makes an explicit statement regarding phones, I would have no problem using a mount like this.
Quote Reply
Re: SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14 [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rule 5.8 Illegal equipment explicitly forbids them and goes on to say that phones may not be mounted on the handlebars or in any position where it is in view of the rider. The only exception for cell phone use is in emergencies. Otherwise they must be out of sight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10/10 for featuring cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
Rule 5.8 Illegal equipment explicitly forbids them and goes on to say that phones may not be mounted on the handlebars or in any position where it is in view of the rider. The only exception for cell phone use is in emergencies. Otherwise they must be out of sight.

No problem - It has a quick release/clamping mechanism. Just pop out the phone and replace with a PowerBar.
Last edited by: jackie11111: Feb 28, 18 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds/looks like a fine idea!
Quote Reply
Re: SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14 [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing :)

I busted out laughing when reading the cat comment.

Thanks jackie11111
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which brings me to something I’ve often wondered-why do people spend upwards of $1k on crappy bike computers that are far inferior to modern mobile phones? The map function on google/apple maps is far better than Garmin, u can get speed and distance data. I’m sure there would be aps they also have cadence and power metre info?
Quote Reply
Re: SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14 [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Which brings me to something I’ve often wondered-why do people spend upwards of $1k on crappy bike computers that are far inferior to modern mobile phones? The map function on google/apple maps is far better than Garmin, u can get speed and distance data. I’m sure there would be aps they also have cadence and power metre info?

In all seriousness, phone battery life is a problem if you ride for hours at a time. Also a phone screen is hard to read in full sun unless it's right under your nose (which thanks to this mount, it is).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This rule was recently revised. 5.8 now says, "5.8 Illegal Equipment. Any participants who any time uses wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, personal audio device, or any other item described in Section 3.4(i) shall be assessed a variable time penalty."
3.4(i) for reference says, " Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty."

Given that this was revised to not include the terms "cell phone" or "smart phone" I think it is a fair interpretation that use of a smart phone as cyclo-computer is perfectly allowable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Battery life? Mobile phones can easily last a day now, so unless you are riding 12+ hours I’m not sure this is a problem.

And I’m not sure about not being able to see the screen in daylight, can’t say I’ve ever had that problem when using my iPhone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if you're using it for maps but I find riding without my phone a pleasant distraction. Blue tooth it to my Garmin watch and glance at that to see if any calls or texts are worth my immediate attention to get out my back pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: SWEET-ASS bta phone mount for $14 [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, ok. I must have been looking at last years rule book before it was revised. Thanks!
Quote Reply