Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200?
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone! Hey, the last four years or so (?) I've really enjoyed Dev's ST 100 Runs in 100 Day Challenge. And since there are basically NO RACES this year, maybe some folks wanna embark on a 2020 edition where we start, say 2nd week in September 9/14 and do 200 Runs in 200 Days Challenge? Or maybe Oct 1 start? Idk.

Same rules for 100/100 would apply with minimum runs times, and making sure the #1 priority is AVOIDING INJURY so it's okay to do 80% or 70% of the Runs taking proper Rest Days.

I'm one for drawing on the energy of a group, rather than doing this alone. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone's interested. Thought it might be Fun and a great way to get some sick Run fitness, strength and durability for when Race (hopefully!) resume in 2021.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never been able to join the 100/100 because of stupid injuries ! But Corona did good - I’m all in for the 200/200

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bobby! I know I'd like to do the 100/100 once my stupid calf heals up-timing...TBD...but 200/200 sounds like a lot, at least for me. I'm sure there are many who have transitioned to a 'run focus' and this would be awesome for them. My running years are behind me now, so I like to do the 'least I can get away with'-ha.

Base=volume with a slow ramp and these challenges are great for that. You'll likely get more interest than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that’s a great idea. Thinking Bluestacks will have in done in a couple of weeks! I’d join.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be up for this... 2 months into trying MAF style training so more volume is on the cards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... thinking we need more than 4 people interested to get this thing off the ground. What say you ST Community -- any others interested in a 200/200 Run Challenge starting next month??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm finishing making up for my early exit out of the 100/100 in February. I'm not sure exactly where I'm at, but I've missed 4 days since may 30th. Ive been running 10-14 runs /85 miles a week since July 1st. I think I'll need a break here soon.

Edit: just checked....82 / 86 since may 30th. 144 total runs (857 miles) including double / triple / quadruple days, but a few of those probably don't meet the 1 hour down time rule (eg, the backyard ultra).
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Aug 24, 20 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are tentatively moving forward the start date of 100/100. And we're progressing toward having some build-up programs available for people to ramp into 100/100, along with some other interesting stuff.

Your interest is, however, noted.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started my own 6th Annual Screaming Tortise Endless Summer 100 Runs/100 Days* Challenge on Memorial Day weekend

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAdjcsbH8on/

I am currently at 81 runs on 87 days, with a streak in there of 53 days. This is better than any previous Slowtwitch 100/100 attempt, and matches my best Endless Summer result

ETA: Nope, not quite; I re-reviewed my results and 2018's Endless Summer was 86/100, so I have a little more work to do

* Because Memorial Day was early and Labor Day is late, it's actually 109 days, but '100/100' has much better "flow"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Aug 25, 20 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I started my own 6th Annual Screaming Tortise Endless Summer 100 Runs/100 Days* Challenge on Memorial Day weekend

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAdjcsbH8on/

I am currently at 81 runs on 87 days, with a streak in there of 53 days. This is better than any previous Slowtwitch 100/100 attempt, and matches my best Endless Summer result

* Because Memorial Day was early and Labor Day is late, it's actually 109 days, but '100/100' has much better "flow"

That's freaking awesome - Congrats! My Dad's name is Randy. Good name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for not replying yet. After I finished 100/100 I was planning a major swim block and then Covid19 hit and what ended up happening is I ran 1000km in the next 12 weeks, missing only 2 days of running. During 100/100 I ran around 800km, so way more running but zero swimming. During 100/100 I was doing all sports.

So after my 1000km of Covid19 running, the outdoor water hit high enogh temps that I was able to go on the delayed swim block so I am on that now but generally running 6 days per week too. But I am personally not interested in being slave to a challenge related to running right now. I just want to run when I feel like it, but I am hyper motivated on swimming swimming 20-28km per week since I got access to water around June 10th. Currently at 240km swimming in the last 10 weeks post covid19. Goal is to swim across Lake Superior virtually (580km) post Covid19 before Xmas, so I am a bit ahead of all that, and I should have the bulk of my swim block done for when the annual 100/100 starts!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 100/100 challenge was enough for me (hit 100 on day 69). I think it also messed up my 1/2 marathon training as well as impacting my biking. The rules just don’t conform well to my training schedule. I still plan on 25-30 miles per week but the long Z2 runs would have to go away. I would be interested in hearing from coaches on how they handle this?
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jgill wrote:
The 100/100 challenge was enough for me (hit 100 on day 69). I think it also messed up my 1/2 marathon training as well as impacting my biking. The rules just don’t conform well to my training schedule. I still plan on 25-30 miles per week but the long Z2 runs would have to go away. I would be interested in hearing from coaches on how they handle this?

I'm confused...what doesn't work? You don't have to run every day, and you don't have to split up your long run or do anything special at all. There is NOTHING in the rules that say you can't just follow your normal training schedule, taking days off, and doing long runs as per normal.

Perhaps the issue is your competitive spirit, not the rules? To be clear...I'm the pot calling the kettle (you) black. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny. Maybe part of it was finishing fast.
I just didn’t want to do my long runs with an hour between each set of 30min or 3 miles. So when I go for a 9 - 10 mile run I would only get credit for a 3 miler. I just can’t put in the extra miles the next day when I am doing a long bike and a swim. I guess it’s a matter of load and timing impact. I am in my sixties and can’t recover like a lot of you. Maybe I am missing something? Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be in for either. I had a friend that did the 100/100 and he had great things to say about it. I'm working my way to 2020 miles for 2020 so this would be a fun way to integrate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jgill wrote:
Funny. Maybe part of it was finishing fast.
I just didn’t want to do my long runs with an hour between each set of 30min or 3 miles. So when I go for a 9 - 10 mile run I would only get credit for a 3 miler

You don't quite get the rules; you get credit for A Run

Counting miles are secondary

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was my point. My training schedule has me do a few long runs and I only get one run each time. So to do my training schedule and the run challenge, I would have to do more runs with the 1 hour separations. That adds additional workload that doesn’t allow me to recover for my other workouts. Training schedule of 3 to 4 runs a week adds at least 3 - 4 more for 9 to 12 additional miles (30 min. each). Not including trying to fit extra workouts into the day. I would lean more toward the slowtwitch Big Kahuna challenge since it is focused on all three sports and doesn’t force a change into my current training plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jgill wrote:
That was my point. My training schedule has me do a few long runs and I only get one run each time. So to do my training schedule and the run challenge, I would have to do more runs with the 1 hour separations. That adds additional workload that doesn’t allow me to recover for my other workouts. Training schedule of 3 to 4 runs a week adds at least 3 - 4 more for 9 to 12 additional miles (30 min. each). Not including trying to fit extra workouts into the day. I would lean more toward the slowtwitch Big Kahuna challenge since it is focused on all three sports and doesn’t force a change into my current training plan.

You do realize that in the 100/100 you can do a 30 minute run and cover say 4 miles, and you get credit for 1 run if you sort by runs and you get credit for 4 miles if you sort by distance and you get 30 min if you sort by time.

Now you could do a single run that is 5 hours long that is 40 miles long. In this case if you sort by number of runs, you get 1 run, if you sort by distance you get 40 miles, if you sort by time you get 5 hrs.

So the challenge gives you credit for whatever you want to be the hero at. I personally look at my aggregate miles, because my body only recognizes load, and frequency is the carrot to get to volume versus sacrificing volume for frequency (only a stupid person would do a single 30 run, wait for an hour and do another 30 min run in a 2 hrs training block when you can just get on with doing a single 2 hrs run if that's what's in your training plan.

But its up to you what you want to be a hero at. If you were doing 100 runs in 69 days and complaining that you can't train properly, well you only have yourself to blame!!!!

I'm not saying that we don't all get caught up in chasing stupid challenges and training stats....its OK to be a training log hero if that's what gets you to what you want out of sport, whether this is losing weight, being fitter, chasing performance at races, or just jacking up your self esteem by seeing yourself move up various standings (its all good).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jgill wrote:
That was my point. My training schedule has me do a few long runs and I only get one run each time. So to do my training schedule and the run challenge, I would have to do more runs with the 1 hour separations.

You're still not getting it

3 miles is the minimum distance to count as a run, but not the ONLY distance you may run

Last edited by: RandMart: Aug 25, 20 3:25
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I thought the OP was trying to get interest in this "frequency challenge". After doing the last one, I was trying to figure out why I would do the same challenge X 2. You can sort the list like you said but I thought the whole point was to see if you could do 100 runs in 100 days. I was not a runner and had no idea if I could finish it. If I follow my current schedule, I would not finish 200 runs in 200 days although I might get the same total workload (plus the other sports). So I guess no interest in this challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that. I thought the whole point of this challenge is frequency not distance or time. but there are minimum qualifiers to count as a run. If i do long runs that count as 1 run and have to skip 2 days, how do you make up those days, you have to do multiple runs in a day.
thanks for trying to explain this but I just don't get this challenge unless you are just a runner or don't care if you don't finish 200 runs in 200 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jgill wrote:
Thanks. I thought the OP was trying to get interest in this "frequency challenge". After doing the last one, I was trying to figure out why I would do the same challenge X 2. You can sort the list like you said but I thought the whole point was to see if you could do 100 runs in 100 days. I was not a runner and had no idea if I could finish it. If I follow my current schedule, I would not finish 200 runs in 200 days although I might get the same total workload (plus the other sports). So I guess no interest in this challenge.

NO THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE 100/100 CHALLENGE IS TO MAXIMIZE MILEAGE IN A 3.5 MONTH TRAINING BLOCK

Sorry for shouting but I don't know how many times since 2006 I have had to drive it into people's thick heads that more run fitness comes from more milage not from frequency. Its simple...are you a 25 mile per week runner, a 50 mile guy, 75 mile guy, 100 mile guy, 125 mile guy. If someone runs 1000km in 100 days they will likely achieve better fitness than someone who does 500km even though the 1000km runner does it off say 65 runs versus the 500km runner doing it off 100 runs.

The entire point is to graduate to the robustness needed to move up to being a higher volume runner. Total volume pretty well trumps everything (within reason).

Frequency is just a means to get there. Real runners know this which is why they do a morning and evening workout 5 days per week and they do a long run one day of the weekend and take a day off. Real swimmers also do 2x per day. Its be the best way to get enough volume in. But the entire idea is to get volume in...the number of workouts is meaningless other than by default more workouts tends to result in more volume.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for shouting. I was a swimmer so I guess I had water in my ears. Haven't been doing triathlon for very long and just did your 100/100 for the first time last year. So to your point, wouldn't the aerobic point process of the Big Kahuna challenge be a better way of tracking the effort/volume than using the number of runs per day? I like getting someone to be motivated to do something each day, but you don't need this if you are watching TSS/ week or something similar (volume and intensity). I also didn't know you could sort the list different ways.
Guys, no need beating and old dead horse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's why I am suggesting you sort the 100/100 list by distance (if you are a fast runner)....or time (if you do a lot of longer runs)....this way you see the aggregate load which is more meaningful. Frequency was just a means to get people out the door, but then a bunch of people are treating frequency like the end goal itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I continued running after 100/100 with the goal being a runstreak, so at least 1 mile a day. End of april I enrolled in the Oxford Covid trial. Had some side-effects (headache, feverish, muscle aches and felt like I just did a full IM), but kept the streak. In hindsight I shouldn't have done that and just take complete rest for a few days. In may my running was shit, but pushed on. In June it got a little better but towards the end of June it went to shambles. Didn't really recover in a recovery week, so added another recovery week, which didn't improve things either. Early July, on day 200 of my streak, I quit. My rest heart rate was pretty normal at the time, where it usually is when training quite a bit. A week later, after stopping exercising, it shot up and since then it has remained high, about 5-10 higher than normal on average. There have been a few days it was normal, but that only lasted for a few days. There also have been a few days it was exceptionally high, 15-20 beats higher than normal. Done about 5 runs since, longest being 2 miles. The last week it was going better again, but had a booster shot in the trial last week Thursday. No clear side-effects this time, but pretty fatigued Saturday and Sunday.
I have a tri weekend coming up in 2,5 weeks, where the aim was to do 7 sprint tris, but a slow 2 mile run last week left me stiff and with muscle aches the next day.
Doing the run streak was nice, but I decided to see how far it would go, I was hoping for a year, and then don't do it again. I found it hard to do a runstreak but train efficiently, the effort was much higher than the possible gains for that effort.
Last edited by: TriStart: Aug 25, 20 3:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next