Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STRAVA SWIM STROKE COUNTER X 2 FOR Proper Cadence?
Quote | Reply
Tower26 says a sroke rate of 60 or higher is best for Open Water... On STRAVA though, it shows as 30-40.

Q: Do u Double the Rate to get "Real" Cadence(?)

Thanks, SwimNoobJack!
Last edited by: Verve4000: Oct 31, 19 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: STRAVA SWIM STROKE COUNTER X 2 FOR Proper Cadence? [Verve4000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: STRAVA SWIM STROKE COUNTER X 2 FOR Proper Cadence? [Verve4000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your watch only measures the strokes on the arm it is on, and that’s what the Strava number is. You are taking roughly 2X this number, but you have to account for the fact that your arms may not do an equal number of strokes each lap. My first stroke coming off the wall is with my watch arm, but so is my last stroke before the turn, so my rate is 2X-1.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you seeing stroke rate in Strava? I went into Strava to look what it shows for me, but I could not find stroke rate.

Like others posted, my Garmin only counts one arm, so I need to 2x that. However, if you are seeing a stroke rate of 30-40, and you are a new swimmer, your numbers may already be doubled. A stroke rate of 80 would be bookin' it for a mortal swimmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Verve4000 wrote:
Tower26 says a sroke rate of 60 or higher is best for Open Water... On STRAVA though, it shows as 30-40.

Q: Do u Double the Rate to get "Real" Cadence(?)

Thanks, SwimNoobJack!

I’m not gonna get into the wormhole that s stroke rate discussion, but just to point out that there’s an easy way to figure out if the strave rate needs to be doubled.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: STRAVA SWIM STROKE COUNTER X 2 FOR Proper Cadence? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason just outta curiosity whats your average stroke rate for a session including warms up and cools?
Quote Reply
Re: STRAVA SWIM STROKE COUNTER X 2 FOR Proper Cadence? [seanmcl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seanmcl wrote:
Jason just outta curiosity whats your average stroke rate for a session including warms up and cools?

Not a clue...

edit--

I could figure it out, but it's not a metric that I particularly care about. to me it is what it is. I generally go off pace and RPE. If I'm fitter, then I can maintain a slightly higher SR and generally a higher DPS than if I'm out of shape. Even if I were to look at stroke rate, average stroke rate for a session would be next to meaningless. I would really only care about stroke rate for specific intervals / efforts.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 1, 19 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: STRAVA SWIM STROKE COUNTER X 2 FOR Proper Cadence? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough its something I've been concise off this past wile and I'm no where near 30spm normally average 23 to 27spm for a session. I've seen videos of a few different tri coaches all putting stroke rate at the top of there tips but can't see myself ever hitting 30 to 40spm for a session. So ill concentrate on pace and perceived from here on.. thanks đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Re: STRAVA SWIM STROKE COUNTER X 2 FOR Proper Cadence? [seanmcl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seanmcl wrote:
Fair enough its something I've been concise off this past wile and I'm no where near 30spm normally average 23 to 27spm for a session. I've seen videos of a few different tri coaches all putting stroke rate at the top of there tips but can't see myself ever hitting 30 to 40spm for a session. So ill concentrate on pace and perceived from here on.. thanks đź‘Ť

I should probably clarify a bit here. I'm not a distance swimmer, I'm really a 100 / 200 / 400 middle distance guy. This is a video that coach took the other day, of a flat out 50 free. so I just calculated the stroke rates off that. I got it at about 115 SPM for the first 50 and 105 for the second (not counting the underwater time). But I obviously wouldn't try to hold that stroke rate for a 400, my arms would fall off. However, I would do sets where I target a specific turnover rate with a tempo trainer, based on what I would do in a race, like 25s at 100 turnover, or 50's at 200 turnover rates. It's not so much about changing my stroke rate as much as training the sustainable duration of that stroke rate. I see a lot of value in doing sets like that if I had a tempo trainer, which I don't but am asking Santa to bring for Christmas.

So when we start talking about stroke rates, the context is important and I hate blanket statements like "aim for over 60 SPM in open water". It might be true, but that's too broad of a target for my liking, since 65 might be way too low for some people, and just about right or even high for others.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 1, 19 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats some fast swimming there lad good stuff. I think i need to get the balls ouuta the freezer on my all out efforts cause i defs dont attack my 25s or 50s with that amount of grunt and cadence. I had a tempo trainer 2 years ago and lost it i think ill treat myself to one as well for Christmas and get to work on getting my stroke rate up. I've been only swimming this past month after my last race and i have noticed my times and perceived effort coming down nicely hopefully I can hold any gains made once I'm back to swimbikerun
Quote Reply