Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STI Shifter on one side, Bar-end shifter on the other?
Quote | Reply
How come you will see many of the European cyclists ride a TT with a bar-end on one side of their handlebars and a STI shifter on the other? With someone please explain.

Thanks,

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: STI Shifter on one side, Bar-end shifter on the other? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do it to save weight on hilly stages/races.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: STI Shifter on one side, Bar-end shifter on the other? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some guys prefer to use the STI/Ergo levers on the right side because they like the way they shift, and they will save the weight by using a bar-end on the left (as it does shift better for the 'rings than the STI/Ergo). I have actually seen guys use the bar end shifter on the right and an STI/Ergo on the left. I would not be able to tell you exactly what advantage THAT would give you, except that maybe they don't shift as much on the left side and they wanted to use up some of the spare left-hand brake/shift levers. Some guys even use a barcon and a down tube (if their frame allows them to).

Why do some still use an STI on the right and a down tube on the left? Weight savings, of course. I still use down tube shifters on my road bike and that how I like it, as I am still not 100% on-board with STI/Ergo (as I think it's heavy). I did use it for a short while, however.
Quote Reply
Re: STI Shifter on one side, Bar-end shifter on the other? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I still use down tube shifters on my road bike and that how I like it, as I am still not 100% on-board with STI/Ergo (as I think it's heavy). I did use it for a short while, however.

Damn, do you wear a wool jersey and toe clips too you Retrogrouch!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: STI Shifter on one side, Bar-end shifter on the other? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, I like the wool jerseys, but they are not the cheapest jerseys anymore, and the team would not go for the sublimated wool jerseys.

Toe clips- nope. They are plain unsafe; however, my favourite shoes I have EVER had were some old Detto Pietros, they were the most comfortable shoes ever made for my weird-to-fit feet. I have not found any I have liked since...

I do use cassettes, click-shifting, and have carbon stuff (and even owned not one, but two carbon bikes and plan to build another). I just don't like the Ergo/STI stuff, and can build a quite light bike with down tube shifters.

This might make you bristle, but ShimaNO makes new 10 speed dt's, which can make the grouchiest retro grouch happy with going to the modern stuff. I am certain that the Campy barcons can be put onto a down tube, but I am pleased that ShimaNO has carried on the tradition.
Quote Reply
Re: STI Shifter on one side, Bar-end shifter on the other? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of Brits run the rear mech off the left hand shifter, at least in MTB. Maybe the same in TT racing...
Quote Reply