Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STI's on Cow Horns?
Quote | Reply
I was over at xtri.com looking at some pictures of the pro's bike's. I saw a photo Hellriegel riding with sti's on cow horns. Anybody run this set-up and why go with it over bar-end shifters? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NO! please don't do it! Some pros do silly things.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use sti's on bullhorns and it works for me. imho, i would rather have shifting accessible while climbing. more stable for me. only problem is there are cables everywhere (i can't figure out a way to hide them)!
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [trirn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this one season and had to make a notch in the bar for the cables. Shifting was not smooth prior to cutting the notches.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if it's a hilly course sti on the cow horns is the way to go, if it's a flatter course then shifters on the aerobars...................that being said my fiancee still holds the bike course record at IM Florida using sti shifters on her cow horns.........................silly? Same goes for hellriegel, it's a personal preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have STI's on cow horns too. Very happy with the configuration.

Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly,

Can you explain why you say "don't do it?" Like some of the other posters here, I do it on my bike right now for a number of reasons--it works well on the terrain I ride and will race most of the time this year, my season will be affected & shortened by deployment, it's cheaper right now given the circumstances, etc. I'd like to hear a more reasoned answer (a more Demerly-esque answer) on why you recommend against it.

Ben

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [Ben H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would take a lot of balls to say that he is doing it "wrong". They don't nickname that guy "Hellrider" for nuthin'.
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could a bike have both bar-ends and STI's? I know, stupid question, but I was thinking about this just a day ago. Sorry for the bump!
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Could a bike have both bar-ends and STI's?"

Profile actually makes an adapter for this.

http://www.profile-design.com/...ters_stiadapter.html
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]It would take a lot of balls to say that he is doing it "wrong". They don't nickname that guy "Hellrider" for nuthin'.[/reply]

I think its actually "Hell on Wheels"
Quote Reply
Re: STI's on Cow Horns? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works great for me. I think is much better than bar ends. Can shift when I need to, climbing, standing, accelerating from corners. On the flats(don't do a LOT of shifting there), it's very simple to reach over and click the STI while staying aero. I think using barend is just a money saving(or profit increasing) tactic by the bike mfg's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alot of teams in the tour, giro, etc. do this when they set up their bikes for time trials. I suppose it makes it easier when they are using their road bikes at TT bikes, which a surprisiong number of pro riders actually do. these ar not the top TTers, mind you, so i suppose the mechanics don't spend the same ammount of energy on putting them onto optimum TTing machines.

tommy
Quote Reply