Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo?
Quote | Reply
I was just googling head units because I’m over broken or bad Garmin units and realized how old the SRM PC 8 and current Wahoo offerings are. The HammerHead Karoo 2 is on pre-order at the moment but anyone have any ideas of non-Garmin head units with maps that are worth checking out? Did SRM just give up the ghost of their ultra premium bits? Anyone around ATL see any sneak peeks from Wahoo?
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top end wahoo is only a year old.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Karoo 2 is your likely best alternative. The Wahoo units are a generation behind Garmin and overpriced. Garmin is way ahead of everyone with regards to mapping. When the Karoo 2 hits, it will give the 1030 a run for the money on mapping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't count on SRM producing a new head unit anytime soon.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't see an PC9 any time soon. Good luck getting ahold of a Karoo 2 with availability issues.
Last edited by: trisport4all: Dec 7, 20 4:46
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The Wahoo units are a generation behind Garmin and overpriced. Garmin is way ahead of everyone with regards to mapping.

I’ve used both and disagree with your sentiments

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The top end wahoo is only a year old.

I don't think they really have top-end/low-end. Just larger and smaller (Roam/Bolt).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen anything, but I my 3-year-old Bolt's screen is starting to delaminate, so was checking Wahoo's site, and noticed that the Bolt isn't available in stock. Don't know if that means something new could be coming, or just more 2020 inventory issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I think the Karoo 2 is your likely best alternative.

I checked it out when I was reading your post. Was looking great until it ran afoul of my Lance boycott. :) Lance is cancelled!
Last edited by: trail: Dec 7, 20 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I’ve used both and disagree with your sentiments
Can you be more specific to help others compare? I made three qualitative judgments: 1) Wahoo ROAM is a generation behind; 2) Wahoo is behind with regard to mapping, and 3) Wahoo is overpriced.
  • I see the ROAM as a generation behind in the sense that it looks like it targeted the Garmin 520 Plus as its product to beat. It is superior to the 520 Plus, but it has some screen compromises and inability to directly input destinations compared to the 530 and 830. I don't think that Wahoo expected Garmin to do all of the updates it did to the 530/830.
  • My "way behind" comment is tied to the device's capabilities around direct address entry and routing, Garmin's ClimbPro, rerouting behaviors, heatmap routing, etc. Garmin implemented a bunch of cool mapping features in their 530/830 units that Wahoo lacks.
  • ROAM is $380 versus Garmin 530 at $300. (It does not make sense to compare ROAM to 830, as that is further advanced and has a touch screen.)

I have not kept up with the ROAM since its release and they slipstreamed in the delayed mapping capabilities. So, they might have made some additional advances to catch up to the Garmin units. But, they still have the lower color screen hardware. So, even if they caught up, it is still $80 more than its closest Garmin competitor.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Dec 7, 20 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you mean by "screen compromises" but everyone I know with a Roam says they got it because it's easier to read than Garmin.

Also the Wahoo phone app is is supposedly superior to Garmin. And software reliability as well. I say "supposedly" because I've been away from Garmin for 3 years after a fit of anger over a decade of continual upload issues. Wahoo has "just worked" for me, so they've currently got me, even though Garmin may be ahead on various comparison tables.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 7, 20 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "screen compromises" but everyone I know with a Roam says they got it because it's easier to read than Garmin.

Also the Wahoo phone app is is supposedly superior to Garmin.
The ROAM has a dimmer, 7-color screen. It is almost monochrome compared to the new Garmin screens.

The Wahoo app is mixed relative to the Garmin. It lacks a lot of features and capabilities that the Garmin has. It is streamlined and simple (partially because of its dearth of capabilities), which some people view as a feature. But, there are many features, particularly around mapping, that are totally absent in the Wahoo app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
[It is almost monochrome compared to the new Garmin screens.

I think that's the benefit. I love the Bolt's actual monochrome screen. The contrast and clarity are unbeatable in all sunlight conditions. Color has no value-added for me. I'm not using it to watch Game of Thrones. I have 3-4 numbers displayed 99% of the time. Occasionally I use turn-by-turn mapping.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 7, 20 8:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Can you be more specific to help others compare? I made three qualitative judgments: 1) Wahoo ROAM is a generation behind; 2) Wahoo is behind with regard to mapping, and 3) Wahoo is overpriced.
  • I see the ROAM as a generation behind in the sense that it looks like it targeted the Garmin 520 Plus as its product to beat. It is superior to the 520 Plus, but it has some screen compromises and inability to directly input destinations compared to the 530 and 830. I don't think that Wahoo expected Garmin to do all of the updates it did to the 530/830.
  • My "way behind" comment is tied to the device's capabilities around direct address entry and routing, Garmin's ClimbPro, rerouting behaviors, heatmap routing, etc. Garmin implemented a bunch of cool mapping features in their 530/830 units that Wahoo lacks.
  • ROAM is $380 versus Garmin 530 at $300. (It does not make sense to compare ROAM to 830, as that is further advanced and has a touch screen.)

I have not kept up with the ROAM since its release and they slipstreamed in the delayed mapping capabilities. So, they might have made some additional advances to catch up to the Garmin units. But, they still have the lower color screen hardware. So, even if they caught up, it is still $80 more than its closest Garmin competitor.

Yup.

- I far prefer the screen of Wahoo. Easier to read in both bright sunlight and shade.

- While I thought it was gimmicky when I first got it, the ability to quickly increase or decrease the data fields on each screen/page is helpful. Sometimes I like to have the full gamut while other times (ie during an interval) I might just want only my 3 second power. I can make that change in a couple seconds. And then go back in a couple seconds as well. I mean, I could create a bunch of different pages on the Garmin, but Wahoo makes easier to customize what I want to look at at any given time and to maximize the font size for easy viewing and to switch quickly between them. Kind of hard to explain on a forum, but it is a really useful feature to me.

- I find the Wahoo app makes things so much faster and easier to adjust the computer in terms of screens, data, etc. Their app is really really good. Much better than garmin imo.

- Connected to above two, I found mapping and routing easier with Wahoo app. And, for me, the Wahoo screen is easier to read/see. All the colors actually made it harder for me to see the maps on the Garmin when I glance down while rolling down the road at a quick clip. Also, zooming in an out on the map while pedaling along is easier on the Wahoo.

- The way you mention a touch screen makes it seem like you consider this to be beneficial. I disagree. Never doing a touch screen again on a bike computer. They can be a bit annoying to use when wearing full finger and thicker gloves. When it glove-less, your fingers can smudge the screen (I like a clean smudge free screen as it looks nicer and is easier to read). It's easier to touch physical buttons without looking down.

- Battery life. I have found I can get closer to claimed battery life with Wahoo head units than Garmin head units

- In terms of cool mapping features. I think it is just up to a user to determine if those are actually beneficial upgrades to their case us or not. They definitely have a lot of neat features, but for me it isn't worth it compared with the things I would lose out on by not choosing a Wahoo.

And I am by no means a Garmin hater. As I type this I have a Forerunner 935 on my wrist that I am a big fan of and will use until it craps out on me.

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Dec 7, 20 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your needs, the PC8 is a very, very good bike computer, the screen visibility is exceptional and SRM's service is well, typically German - very efficient.

Look for the mega thread on the forum for more info.

But if you need mapping, live Strava segments, notifications, colour, etc, it is not for you.

Quote Reply
Re: SRM PC9 or next Gen Wahoo? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I think that's the benefit. I love the Bolt's actual monochrome screen.

Chemist wrote:
- I far prefer the screen of Wahoo. Easier to read in both bright sunlight and shade...

I agree with you and Trail about most of your points, and the screen in particular. I do not use nor generally care about a color display. My base screens are just numbers on a white background.

But, the theme of my original comment about value was based on best device for mapping mentioned in the OP, and on that subject, the Wahoo is behind.

Further, I agree about the simplicity of the app for the features it offers. But, when you have less (lower grade screen, fewer features & options, less app capability, etc.) you would expect to pay less. However, with the Wahoo's $80 premium for reduced capability, it is overpriced.

The other point about touch screen-- you probably have not used an 830 or 1030. They are freakin' awesome. They work great with or without gloves and in the wet. Now, the 820 was a dumpster fire, but that is ancient history. I chose the 530 for my TT bike, and looking back, I wish I pulled the trigger on the 830. The UI is just smoother and easier. (I use a 1030 on my road bike, which is essentially a bigger version of the 830.)

I agree with your sentiment that it is up to a user to personally determine whether each feature difference is beneficial. But, again, I would expect less to cost less. It doesn't with the ROAM-- have to pay more to get less.

Now, the BOLT is the ticket. That one is a simple, high-value device. It really only lacks the mapping features, but it comes in at a fantastic price.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Dec 7, 20 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a SRM Pc8 never used if you want it, DM me.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply