Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRM Magnet Question
Quote | Reply
So...my SRM magnet fell off twice. Usually mounts under the BB with a screw, but my frame has a BB adapter that wont allow that.

Bike shop assured me that their glue would hold... right up until it didn't :)

Luckily I had another magnet... but crazy glue woudn't hold either. Popped off on a ride the other day.

I even bought a K-edge chain catcher with a built in magnet... but it's not compatible with my clamp on derailleur.

Ideas??
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Magnet Question [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
So...my SRM magnet fell off twice. Usually mounts under the BB with a screw, but my frame has a BB adapter that wont allow that.

Bike shop assured me that their glue would hold... right up until it didn't :)

Luckily I had another magnet... but crazy glue woudn't hold either. Popped off on a ride the other day.

I even bought a K-edge chain catcher with a built in magnet... but it's not compatible with my clamp on derailleur.

Ideas??

I've used the old quarq pressfit idea before, magnet with the putty that hardens. Never lost one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an old wired srm, I used 3m outdoor double sides tape (gray)
Removing it is a job, no way it'll come off on accident

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Magnet Question [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some small button Neodymium magnets off ebay and just taped it to the frame with electrical tape.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JB Weld
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3M double-sided adhesive tape for me. Has been on my TT bike for 4.5 years and hasn't fell off (granted, i only have about 8k miles on it).

Putty/epoxy is another fine idea. My bike (Scott Foil) has a chain stay with a magnetized section. Magnet (rare earth type) goes there, and the putty ensures that it stays. 5 years and no issue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot glue. Cheap and easy and reliable.

Mark E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the K-edge chain catcher/magnet. Are you sure there's no way to attach it to your bike - maybe using a different/separate clamp altogether than the derailleur clamp?
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Magnet Question [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
I use the K-edge chain catcher/magnet. Are you sure there's no way to attach it to your bike - maybe using a different/separate clamp altogether than the derailleur clamp?

I was wondering the same thing actually... K-Edge seems to say "NO". First they said yes though :(

I have a Clamp On Dura Ace DI2 9070 FD... on a Lynskey R460 frame.

I already have a regular K-edge Clamp On Chain Catcher without the magnet that works fine.

The SRM one is only braze on... so I bought a K-Edge Clamp On adapter. Turns out the combo still doesn't work on my bike...

GEEZ!!

Can you post a pic of your set up??
Last edited by: Donzo98: May 5, 18 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever do this?

Trying to find a picture of how this set up looks

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Quarq BB mount magnet is really excellent if you can find one (they've been discontinued).

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Magnet Question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for electrical tape here. That’s how the magnet is secured to my speed concept and it has been there since 2013.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always just used some Blu Tack we call it here in Australia. Just get a small amount and I mould a little on your stay and magnet and in years of cycling I have never lost a magnet. Just peal it off if you sell your bike or no longer need it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_Tack
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Magnet Question [mark.ewers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for hot glue
Last edited by: 7401southwick: Jan 5, 19 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for my old quarq i used to use double sided tape then on top i wd use cloth based duct tape - and it held very well over 5 years
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Magnet Question [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have previously used clear RTV (bathroom grade stuff that is resistant to moisture) to attach a 1/2" rare earth magnet to my Disc wheel in order to still use my Garmin GSC-10 cadence sensor (sometimes you don't have time during a race in T2 for the GPS signal to lock in). Held on just fine and I covered it with tape (more for aesthetics to hide it but first used electrical tape then switch to carbon pattern vinyl tape). Much easier to remove/clean if you ever need to.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Magnet Question [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ended up using the 3M tape provided and placed duct tape over that for added support. First ride worked fine.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply