Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM red brakes.. whats the black level thing?
Quote | Reply
I have a 2013 SRAM red brakes.. theres a black lever thing on it that goes up and down... I just installed 25c tires and my tires dont fit.. so I lifted the black lever thing and then it fits.. does it have to go back down? What is the black lever for?
Last edited by: 125mph: May 25, 15 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red brakes.. whats the black level thing? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's the barrel adjuster and the quick release. The black pointy lever that only rotates about half a turn is the quick release. I think the thing that you're talking about is the barrel adjuster. Turn it to adjust your brake cable tension.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red brakes.. whats the black level thing? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm talking about the quick release... what does that do? when I pull that up it opens the brakes a little.. should it stay down? What does pulling it up do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally the quick release helps when you hat a flat and need to remove the wheel. Quick release up - brakes open a little wider and the wheel comes out.
Last edited by: Kellermanns: May 25, 15 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red brakes.. whats the black level thing? [Kellermanns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kellermanns wrote:
Normally the quick release helps when you hat a flat and need to remove the wheel. Quick release up - breaks open a little wider and the wheel comes out.

Ah so when I want to remove the wheel, I quick release up... when I add the wheel back in, quick release it down to secure the wheel? I never had to do that because my 23c tires fitted fine.. now the 25c, I have to use the quick release. Makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it does not secure the wheel, but moves the brakes closer. The brakes are typically adjusted for quick release down.
Last edited by: Kellermanns: May 25, 15 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red brakes.. whats the black level thing? [Kellermanns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you forget to quick release down, as long as the brakes make contact there shouldn't be an issue, right? Just may have to clamp down more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brakes....

If breaks its bad... :)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red brakes.. whats the black level thing? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL - and the spellcheck did not even care :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spell check will throw you under the bus every time.. that's why i never use it.. Sadly i am also a shit typist.. ;(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can stay up. I ride like that for the same reason. I stop just fine but my wheels are wider as well.. Initially designed for skinny wheels and tires. Just leave it open for your wider tires. No problemo as long as you can stop. Can you stop? If yes, leave it up. If not, go to your bike store and let them adjust it.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply