Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options
Quote | Reply
Has anyone has any luck repairing an 11spd BlipBox? The two right ports on my box started going bad after getting caught riding in some rainstorms last year. When triaging the issue, I found a missing o-ring on one of the blip pins and believe this was the culprit. The bike has mostly been indoors since then and the buttons on the BlipBox itself still work.

I connected with the seller (TPC), SRAM support directly, and a half a dozen bike shops across the country over the past year with no luck supporting/replacing the old BlipBox and I've been looking for a BlipBox through 3rd party resellers unsuccessfully over the past year as well. With the return to racing happening soon, I'm trying to weigh all of my options:

• Make no changes and race IM Tulsa in May only being able to upshift from the functions on the BlipBox itself rather than using the blips.

• Pros: This doesn't cost anything.
    • Cons: The BlipBox is mounted beneath the aerobar pads so not an ideal shifting scenario as will need to break out of the aero position to shift. Also would not be able to mount hydration on the bars as this covers the BlipBox currently.
    • Alternative: Disconnect the blips from the BlipBox and mount the Blipbox to the end of the aerobars so I can shift in aero - Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking it might work for 1-2 races but not a long term solution.

• Take apart the BlipBox and try to clean/fix it myself - Looking to see if anyone else has experience here/any tips if so.

• Pros: this might work and the BlipBox will be completely functional (or at least more functional)
    • Cons: I break the box entirely and cannot shift at all. At this point, I'd need to scramble to find an AXS groupset and get it installed before May

• Upgrade to an AXS groupset and move my current 11spd groupset to a road setup.

• Pros: Seems like an awesome groupset and any potential issues should be covered by warranty and SRAM support. Can convert the 11spd eTap setup I have to a road bike (that I don't have)
    • Cons: I'm not sure I can get this done before May at this point. $$$$$ - It looks like it would cost anywhere from $2.5-3.5K to replace with the AXS setup I'm looking for. I also don't have a road bike to add the 11spd groupset to so that's another frameset/parts to buy.

If anyone has any experience here or thoughts on the above, input is much appreciated as I weigh my options!
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [blozes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In your position, I would take the box apart and install new connectors or hardwire the blips directly to the contacts... but I used to repair stuff like this for a living.

Which is probably the answer; don't talk to bike industry people, go find a local electronics repair place and see what they can do for you.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i donā€™t have any advice to offer but if you are able to fix, let us know! i have a similar problem - but only 1 port is dead. iā€™ve just decided to continue using the two blips on the extensions and one on left brake.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input @fredly. I'll probably take that path and hope for the best.

@lhmd21 - Mine started as only 1 port going out intermittently. I made the mistake of continuing to ride without investigating the source of the problem as I naively thought it was just a low battery issue. The second port started going bad before I removed the blips to investigate but at that point it was too late and the second port went out after a month or so. My recommendation would be to try and identify the source of your issue before it gets worse and see if you can do anything to prevent degradation (in my case, it would have probably been as simple as replacing an o-ring if I had identified the problem immediately).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I "think" this is the part for the port

https://www.digikey.ca/...lL24U32m10dgh-MkUm_0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I was in this exact scenario about 2 years ago. My ports were slowing going on me. Initially I had one left and 1 right working, so I was able to splice my blip wires to keep from having to use the blip box to shift, but ultimately the "-" side completely went. I spent the better part of a season with the blip box mounted to the end of my extensions (where my blips used to be), and did a majority of my shifting in aero. If I needed to down shift for a hill or turn, I would do that before going down to the base bar. I still had a "+" blip on the base bar for accelerating out of turns and over the top of hills. The races I do are pretty flat, so this wasn't a problem for me.

I did attempt repairing the broken ports by opening the box. It didn't go well. I'm not bad at soldering (I make my own blips, extend Di2 wires when needed, etc.), but the repair was above my skill level. So YMMV depending on skill level.

In the end I was luckyy enough to find a good deal on a used blip box pre COVID.

FWIW, there is an 11 speed blip box on eBay right now for $525. It's expensive, but it's available. You can also try the Facebook Triathlon and Cycling Online Swap Meet group.

Strava
Last edited by: gmh39: Mar 20, 21 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...

I've got an old blip with a bad port just sitting in a drawer. It only ships to Canada - if you find a US source, I'd spend $10-$15 for a couple ports and shipping to give it whirl.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Ordered 4. Iā€™ll report back first if they fit and second if it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about giving you the Canadian site. I thought a) everyone know digikey and b) most here are from Canada :-)

How good are you at soldering ? It's not hard at all but if you're not used to desoldering, especially, maybe give it to a local electronics repair guy. It should take him 15minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Confident enough soldering and desodering
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have repaired several of these.
They usually crack the solder around the socket mounting.
It can be very difficult to see the cracks.
Re-solder all the sockets. Job done.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first thought too - just look for cracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to report to anyone who needs to know - the link provided is the correct replacement piece.

You need a very fine solder tip. I thought I had a small tip but needed smaller.

Looking at it, the bad port definitely looks cracked as noted in this thread. Iā€™m awaiting a smaller tipped gun but fully expect it to fix the bad port without the need to use one of the replacement ports I purchased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Just to report to anyone who needs to know - the link provided is the correct replacement piece.

You need a very fine solder tip. I thought I had a small tip but needed smaller.

Looking at it, the bad port definitely looks cracked as noted in this thread. Iā€™m awaiting a smaller tipped gun but fully expect it to fix the bad port without the need to use one of the replacement ports I purchased.

No you don't.
A smaller tip will transfer heat much slower and loses temperature easier making soldering the joint slower and making it more likely to melt things that shouldn't melt and get a dry joint from not enough heat.
Any reasonable sized tip will do.
Chisel tips are always better, round ones are useless for heat transfer.
My do all tip is 3.2mm chisel and does this job easy.
A deft hand and confidence is all you need.....and maybe ten years of solder repair every day....
If you are not a experienced solderererer, don't get lead free solder, get the good old fashion tin and lead, much easier to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tip I had was spanning multiple ā€œthingsā€ in there. I donā€™t have as much experience as you but the ā€œtypicalā€ tip for the soldering guns I have were too large. The chisel is one that comes on the one i ordered so that should work well.

I understand what youā€™re saying and Iā€™ve been soldering things for more than half my life (but not frequently) just noting the ā€œtypicalā€ tip is too large. I had two different guns and both tips werenā€™t able to get into the area without spanning to other things in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you decide what to do or find a solution for your issue?

I thought I had an issue today with my blipbox A1. But in my case it turned out that all my batteries died including the spare. Makes me nervous now that SRAM is no longer making the blipbox.

Does the AXS blipbox not work? On the SRAM page it looks like it is compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK, AXS isn't cross compatible with eTap Red.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
AFAIK, AXS isn't cross compatible with eTap Red.

We are at the peak of ā€˜obsolescence of previous generation technologyā€™, unless youā€™re a programmer or electronics expert.
For those who arenā€™t, itā€™s either pay up or back to mechanical Stone Age.

Interesting that nobody complains about their ā€˜freedomā€™ being taken away.

Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 11, 21 21:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarification.

I just hope mine holds on longer and if it does hopefully I can have an electronics guru fix it. I really do not want to upgrade my drivetrain. Although I've had it since 2018 it still seems like I just got it recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, did your electronics technician "fix" remedy your issue? I believe I have isolated one port being "non-responsive" and am headed down the same "fix" road you were on. Other than the soldering tip size, any other issues?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [kirkad2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Thatā€™s it. Also did buy some of the ports themselves linked above and can confirm they are the correct size (didnā€™t use them tho)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem . Every website that had an older blipbox for sale - when called - ZERO of them had one in stock, so I have no way to get one either.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [griffincnotrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I ended up buying a whole bike that was up on the local CL for cheap, stripping the eTap gruppo and replacing it with an assortment of mech parts I had sitting around. Then I resold the bike - and I ended up paying about $300 out of pocket, plus the cost of random RD/FDs/Shifters which was a sunk cost anyways.

It is that crazy!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Repair Options [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll probably just cope with 3 blips instead of 4. SUper sucks that you end up throwing the entire thing out. It would make me switch electronic shifting in the future.
Quote Reply

Prev Next