Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM acquires time pedals
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it's been reported here, but cyclingnews has reported that SRAM has acquired Time's pedal business.

This is an interesting development. First it gives SRAM a platform to compete against SPD-SL, and with SRAM's backing allows the growth of the Time pedal platform which has been technically pretty decent but I think just hasnt had the distribution muscle of Look or Shimano.

Also, what does it mean for power meters in pedals? Quarq already acquired powertap awhile ago but we have yet to see them do anything with the powertap platform model. Multiple power meter platforms already exist for the Look platform- favero, vector, SRM exact, and also the powertaps. Will Quarq abandon the look platform and go with time? Will this then force shimano to release a power meter pedal?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. oh no .. time to replenish my stock for more years .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you say that Powertap use the Look platform? Powertap pedals do kinda work with Look cleats, but not very well and Powertap do not recommend this. They are designed to be used with Wellgo cleats.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wellgo use the look platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not correct. Very similar. But not Look.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wellgo, exustar, xpedo, vector, powertap, favero, ritchey and some others all collectively use the Look Platform, because the cleats are compatible. Yes, there may be some minor differences, but they will all work with each other (except for a few offshoots such as exustar's wide beam keo cleats not working with the keo blade).

The shimano SPD SL system was borne out of a license of the look delta system, but was then modified.

Wellgo even say on the product description that the pedals are look cleat compatible.

Regardless, we are getting off topic with this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure SRAM considered Time's road pedal offerings in the acquision but I doubt that was a driving factor. For SRAM this was probably about MTB, MTB and more MTB. The opportunity to really expand the Atac platform and use that as the basis for new power products is juicier than trying to take on Garmin, favero etc on the road.

I would guess the answer to your final question depends a lot on whether of not Shimano can actually sort out the issue of reliable crank based power meters on their crank design. I appreciate Shimano has always firmly denied there is a problem but it looks like all the experts disagree with them. If they can sort out the cranks I think Shimano sticks to cranks and pushes the PMs as an OEM spec which is very difficult to do with pedals. If they can't sort out the issue I expect Shimano will quietly kill off the crank units and introduce a pedal based system. When/if the new generation of Dura Ace is released this year Shimano will have to put its cards on the table in this respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoooo where are power meter Speedplays?! (I know that has nothing to do with SRAM or Time but is worth asking every time we are talking about power pedals. Come on already.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The road ones look interesting. But I've only ever heard of them twice, a couple months back on this board and today.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On top of that, this starts to put SRAM in the final stages of a fully vertically integrated bike. The lone exceptions (which may not truly be exceptions, as I'm not as deeply knowledgeable as others here) are the contact points and the frame - and even that is shrinking. Primarily I'm thinking saddles are perhaps the one component they don't have vertically integrated, though in the MTB world, grips are critical, and I don't believe any of the SRAM companies (except perhaps RockShox) make grips. Other than that...

SRAM can tap (pun intended) Zipp for frames if needed, wheels, bars, road/CX/gravel forks, and cages from Zipp as well. Obviously SRAM drive train, Avid brakes, Quarq/PowerTap PMs, and now Time pedals. Offroad still gets Zipp wheels, etc., RockShox fork/rear suspension, SRAM drive train, Avid brakes, Quarq/Powertap PMs, and now Time pedals.

Is this potentially signaling SRAM's intent to open it's own bikeworks? Likely under a different name, but combining the powerhouse brands it has acquired to go full vertical integration?

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The road ones look interesting. But I've only ever heard of them twice, a couple months back on this board and today.

I used Time pedals (originals and the newer version with the cafe cleats) for a number of years. They are really good.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time pedals are awesome. But it is really hard to find replacement cleats because so few people use them. Once I started to use pedal-based power as an addition to crank-based I put the time pedals back in the box and have been meaning to sell them on eBay for about the last 5 years.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [MattyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyA wrote:
Time pedals are awesome. But it is really hard to find replacement cleats because so few people use them. Once I started to use pedal-based power as an addition to crank-based I put the time pedals back in the box and have been meaning to sell them on eBay for about the last 5 years.

Yeah, that’s why I stopped using mine. Couldn’t find replacement cleats, so I went back to spd-sl. Which I like just as much.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to use Time Xpresso 12 pedals. Worked great, would occasionally break the walking part off the cleat. After 5 years one of the pedal bodies broke. I've been on Shimano 9100 pedals since. Buttery smooth bearings, great cleat life at a weight penalty over the Time. My times weighed in at 152 grams for the pair and my Shimano 230 grams. A bit easier to gain entry into the Shimano pedal. The Weight Weenie in my went for function over weight.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [MattyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on Time road pedals since I started. I have a few sets of the very old style with a split metal cleat (well, the toe cleat changed from aluminum to polymer at some point) - maybe these were the 'Sport' model?. I'm pretty sure that I have one set BNIB. I'm on RXS on all bikes (no spare pedals anymore) - but I've been able to find cleats without too much trouble - I picked up 2 pairs a year or so ago. Of course with so much riding indoors and so little outdoors, cleats ought to last a long time. When I move to pedal-based power, the Time run will be done for me, I suppose. I did have a pair of Vector 3, had the common problems and two replacements. But life is too short to deal with all of that, so the vendor refunded my purchase upon return and I have not moved from the RXS. It will be interesting to see if SRAM shelves the Time road pedals - they are pretty niche - and focuses on the off road pedal line.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be shocked if SRAM did anything with Time road pedals. SRAM bought powertap a few years ago only to shut the whole thing down. Of course back in the late 80s and 90s Time pedals and shoes were the cats meow —pretty much everyone using them at some point. Now they are relegated to the history books. For a while it seemed like Time was going to run Look and Shimano out of the pedal business because Time had the superior design with an ultra low stack height, but that wasn’t the case.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
I would be shocked if SRAM did anything with Time road pedals. SRAM bought powertap a few years ago only to shut the whole thing down. Of course back in the late 80s and 90s Time pedals and shoes were the cats meow —pretty much everyone using them at some point. Now they are relegated to the history books. For a while it seemed like Time was going to run Look and Shimano out of the pedal business because Time had the superior design with an ultra low stack height, but that wasn’t the case.

Well, SRAM doesn’t have a pedal offering right now, hard to see why they wouldn’t want to get a foothold in that space.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
J7 wrote:

Well, SRAM doesn’t have a pedal offering right now, hard to see why they wouldn’t want to get a foothold in that space.
Powertap?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
J7 wrote:

Powertap?

No, I mean normal pedals. Non power, road, mountain, gravel, etc....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM acquires time pedals [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
Now they are relegated to the history books.

// in the same history books the wheel found it's notion some thousand years before ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Feb 28, 21 22:44
Quote Reply