Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM Red crank failure
Quote | Reply
Hello all

So this has happened twice to me now, same crankset, different sides. SRAM Red 22 10 speed, using Shimano 105 pedals (all I had at the time, never bothered to get better ones)

Originally in DEC 2014, 4 weeks after getting this road bike, I stood up to put power down in order to chase a friend up a small incline and the right pedal pedal sheared out of the crank. I rode the bike to the ground, getting concussion and breaking my thumb on left hand. I put this down to probably my fault, the pedal must not have been in properly, or tightened properly. Although there was the threads from the crank still around the pedal thread - little washers of broken metal. I had ridden the bike perhaps 20 times in that 4 weeks, each ride between 30 and 100km.

Replaced the one crank arm, but from that ride onward, have religiously checked my bikes pre-ride. Road, TT or MTB - regardless. Somewhat paranoid - the broken thumb took me off riding for 4 months.

Fast forward to yesterday - was behind a bus at an intersection, so stood up to put power down and try to get some draft off the bus... Left Hand side pedal sheared out... almost identical to the first time. Thankfully my foot hit the ground (pedal still attached to my shoe) and I was able to stay on the bike. Pedal had metallic rings around it, thread mostly gone from inside the crank arm. I had checked pedals prior to riding and both were tight.

Have contacted SRAM for a "please explain" but as yet, no response.

Has anyone else had a failure like this across any group set?

All my other bikes (TT, 2 MTB, wifes MTB, kids MTB's) have shimano and its been rock solid despite my abuse. So... likely going that route with replacement...
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red crank failure [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you install a pedal washer before threading in the pedals?

All SRAM carbon cranks require a washer.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red crank failure [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure did, after the first incident I went through and made sure everything was done to the letter as per manufacturers spec. Took ages to check all that stuff.. torque settings on each bolt too. Was my first carbon bike at the time so was paranoid two fold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red 22 is 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM has always been great with me in the past. I had 3 of the early Force shifters crap out. The third time, they upgraded to Red for free. But, I was going through an LBS. I've been told they're much more responsive to an LBS. Do you have an LBS that could handle this?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red crank failure [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly no. I moved in Feb from AUS to CAD - closest bike shop is 1.5 hours away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. I'm assuming that you contacted them via e-mail. If so, you may have better luck calling them. Try this number:
1-312-664-8800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've had the pedal threads loosen up on two of different SRAM carbon crank arms. Lucky for me that I noticed the pedals flopping around before coming off completely. SRAM replaced them both, but I am now enjoying stress free rides on a Dura Ace crank.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Red crank failure [MrB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrB wrote:
I've had the pedal threads loosen up on two of different SRAM carbon crank arms. Lucky for me that I noticed the pedals flopping around before coming off completely. SRAM replaced them both, but I am now enjoying stress free rides on a Dura Ace crank.

Ahh bummer, not an isolated incident then. Guess that gives me something to push back at SRAM when they inevitably tell me it’s my fault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well unfortunately I'll need to take it in to my "local" bike store which is a 3 hour return drive, to get it assessed.

Even then, they admitted on the phone that its unlikely to be covered.

So I guess I'll start looking at other options.... Shame the rest of the group set is ok. I'd ditch it in a heartbeat and get Shimano stuff. Actually I'd ditch the whole bike in a heartbeat and get a gravel/adventure rig...

Anyone want a Blue AC1SL, Reynolds 46 clinchers, SRAM RED 10 speed (but requires a replacement crank?) :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ship it to the bike shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you mixing up Nm with foot pounds?
Quote Reply