Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why?
Quote | Reply
Subject says it all here. Struggling to decide on a drivetrain for my new TriRig Omni. Price is essentially a wash.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't really seen many reviews of the 9150 groupset yet. The eTap is great IMO because it makes transportation so easy. Just unbolt the der's and package them up, no worries about bent hangers in transit.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Subject says it all here. Struggling to decide on a drivetrain for my new TriRig Omni. Price is essentially a wash.

Does anyone buy (or even sell) a wired computer or power meter anymore? Nope!

Two years from now a wired electric group will be a thing of the past.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I put eTap on my Shiv TT. I liked the fact that charging the batteries is really easy. Just a much more simple system.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
davews09 wrote:

Does anyone buy (or even sell) a wired computer or power meter anymore? Nope!

Two years from now a wired electric group will be a thing of the past.

I disagree...I love my wireless computers and power meters, but there are still issues with signal transmission. Sensors (power meters included) temporarily drop not infrequently. There's also a road near my house where my HRM always reads in the 180s for a half block stretch because of some sort of weird interference. I can deal with brief erratic heart rate readings or stretches of zero cadence or power...gaps in information won't hurt me as long as they are brief. However, if I'm going uphill and needing to downshift it's gotta happen with 100% reliability. Wires are really good at that, wireless is still a work in progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hands down, SRAM.

A.) It's wireless, and instlation is easier.
B.) The batteries are interchanagable, so you should always be able to shift in the rear if one battery runs out.
C.) Blips allow you to put the shifters where you want. "Limitless remote shifting positions for drop and aero bars"
D.) I am SRAM fanboy, and you can be too!
https://www.sram.com/contact
Quote:
Want SRAM Stickers?

Replacement product decals are not available at this address. Decal kits can be ordered through your local bike shop.
For stickers send a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE) with US postage to the address below:

SRAM
1000 West Fulton Market
4th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60607 USA
Attn: Stickers

Right now, price point prevents me from running SRAM or Shimano. However, I did fork out $259.00 for Xshifter, so that will be my first taste of wireless shifting. Discussed on Slowtwitch here:
Xshifter thread

More info on Xshifter.com
http://xshifter.com/

FSA also has wireless electronic shifting, K-FORCE WE. The movement of the rear derailleur is more like that of a robotic arm than a traditional derailleur with a parallelogram.
http://we-fsa.com/en/

Let us know what you decide to go with!
-Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had trouble deciding on the same thing. A while back, I asked the same question here. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20vs%20etap#p6006260

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you run a 1x eTap setup?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think you could, as you wouldn't need to pair the front derailleur and that would allow you to shift normally with just the rear. I don't think, however, that the rear derailleur can fit the 31/32 cog on the 1x11 cassette.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have announced a wifli version of their RD to accommodate 32t. I don't recall the release date, but I *think* it was December.

The new WiFli version can. The only reason not to run 1x is the lack of a clutch in the RD. Some people feel comfortable just using an X-Sync chainring and no clutch RD, some don't. Depends on road conditions.

I personally haven't tried 1x on the road, but 1x on my mountain bike has been pretty faultless.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always buy a RoadLink to accommodate the larger cassette. That will allow you to clear a 32t, and maybe 36t? while using a standard, short cage rear derailluer.
Only suggested if you are going 1x up front.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking the new Di2: the blip wireless box is a hassle to hide vs an internal battery; di2 = faster shifting; the new di2 TT shifters look great as do the new TT pursuit bar shift/brake combo; while Di2 can be run as a 1x, if you were to throw in a double front chainring, say for terrain with 80-100ft gain per mile, the di2 auto front shifting would be ideal for TT.

I really like the sram etap, and I like the idea of pairing x-shift with a 1x system as it would be lighter than both etap or di2 and has the electronic shifter which provides the ease of shifting that makes electronic great for TT - you shift more often. I know with my current RTR sram shifter, I shift less often than if it were electronic because it does take a bit more effort and the RD (sram force) is not as crisp or forceful as my di2 DA RD (which does wear down pulleys quicker) on my road bike. The weaker shifting of the Force RD forces me to let up on the torque to make the shift. So, going back to di2 vs etap, I'd go with the RD that allows for the least 'pedaling torque let-up'. And, if X-shift accomplishes that as well or better than either di2 or etap, I'd consider it.

Also, really looking forward to your impressions of the Omni. I kind of wish Nick would lower the stack and create an aerobars that uses the 'seatpost' design Enve used on the P5x for aero bar adjustment, and basically use a monorail saddle clamp to attach the post to the Trek SC style mono aerobar so that it can easily handle fore/aft and tilt adjustments, and hide the lower portion of the post with an extended magnetic nosecone, showing this design is possible without disc brakes.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Nov 29, 16 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the di2 auto front shifting would be ideal for TT

This is the exact reason why I chose eTap over Di2 9150.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can run di2 9150 as 1x, so you have more powerful shifting and more options with di2 (1x or synchronized/auto front shifting). what's your logic?

Last edited by: milesthedog: Nov 29, 16 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not want nor need my front derailleur auto shifting during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see, it is true that Di2 requires the auto front shifting with their TT shifters... if you use 2x front shifting.

I made the statement before that the ease of shifting with electronic encourages more shifts; I'd say the same applies to the auto front shift. I would be in the best gear more of the time with it vs than without it, so Di2 for the win for me

Last edited by: milesthedog: Nov 29, 16 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
I haven't really seen many reviews of the 9150 groupset yet. The eTap is great IMO because it makes transportation so easy. Just unbolt the der's and package them up, no worries about bent hangers in transit.

:O online reviews interpretation F@#$%@ experts....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I'm thinking the new Di2: the blip wireless box is a hassle to hide vs an internal battery; .

I'm interested in seeing more solutions to where to hide the blip box. I saw a few posts about positioning the blip box when etap first came out but I curious how people are doing it now (same as before or perhaps different). One of my teammates has etap and I agree, it seems like a hassle compared to the bikes on our team with di2.

I'll stick with my mech groupo for now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eTap - the weakness of Shimano is in the cables. eTap removes this and I've seen no horror stories of connection getting lost.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished my eTap install on a Gen 1 Trek SC 9 series. I have a bottle cage mounted directly to the step cap otherwise that would be a good location for the blip box. For now I have in in my Darkspeed bento box. Everything is completely hidden except for the blip wires exiting the back end of the aerobars before porting under the stem cap. I'm in the process of fabricating a mount that will hold the blip box under my BTA bottle out in front of the stem. It will be exposed but not presenting any additional frontal area to the wind. I think I'm going to prefer that option because it's a little simpler keeping all of the blip wires contained in the cockpit rather than threading them into the bento box. I'll post some pics later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went DA Di2 on my TM01 late last year and trained/raced 3 half IMs and a full. It was a great decision for me. No experience w/ eTap but have amigos on it that are happy as well. I have a single battery for mine that holds a charge for months. Also, clean install w/ zero wires exposed. Silk shifts, no issues, it's sweet.

davews09 wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run eTap on my race bike for travel purposes. It makes it super easy to disconnect/reconnect my cockpit while packing the bike. I previously had Ultegra Di2. If it was a bike that I only traveled with once a year I'd go Di2. The difference isn't huge but I get a bit of chain rub with eTap and I never had that with Di2 due to auto-trim plus I think the shifting is a bit quicker with Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Also, really looking forward to your impressions of the Omni. I kind of wish Nick would lower the stack and create an aerobars that uses the 'seatpost' design Enve used on the P5x for aero bar adjustment, and basically use a monorail saddle clamp to attach the post to the Trek SC style mono aerobar so that it can easily handle fore/aft and tilt adjustments, and hide the lower portion of the post with an extended magnetic nosecone, showing this design is possible without disc brakes.

I also have an Omni on the way. Personally, I wouldn't buy the P5x just because of the stack adjustment mechanism. If your seat post slips a bit you can still control your bike. If your front end slips downward a bit there's a good chance you're about to have a bad day.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I've thought about that and feel pretty strongly that seatposts, handlebars and this enve style aerobar needs Bike Ahead Composites's NSA layer cured into the carbon to prevent slipping. problem solved.

http://bike-ahead-composites.de/en/service/nsa/

I'm excited about eTap as well, but reviews have clearly stated that it is slower and less powerful than the current generation of di2, let alone the new di2. Slower shifting equal drops in power. I mean, I already feel there's a huge compromise when I shift with DA di2 when I'm doing big watts on climbs. I wanter better, faster shifting. Wireless is great, but once set up, you never worry about your internal battery again. Sure, etap is good for travel. It's like comparing a cordless immitation hitachi magic wand to the real-deal hitachi plug in magic wand... one is convenient, but the latter gets the job done

Last edited by: milesthedog: Nov 29, 16 18:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next