Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM R2C Shifters...who has had multiple failures?
Quote | Reply
Background: I got my bike (Cervelo P3) with SRAM Red grouppo 10-sp in 2010. Since then, I've had a total of 2 new sets of shifters as well as 2 "rebuild kits" done on the rear shifter (not to mention a past BB blown apart & rear deraileur randomly break apart). Who has had this many failures with SRAM R2C shifters & did you find out what kept causing it? I'm thinking I just have bad luck with SRAM period--never had issues like this with Shimano.

This past weekend, it failed during the race & is now "shiftless" and has been with 10 miles left in the bike. I was caught in the 53 x 11 gear (unless I wanted to go to the small 39 ring), but stress on the chain from the chain line may have done something worse to the chain (like break it) or the rear deraileur--so kept it on the 53 x 11 over the rolling last 10 miles. Needless to say, it just destroyed my run legs for the 94 F heat on the run. I don't want this to happen again obviously, so did any of you just go back to Shimano or something else?

I'll be getting a new bike in 2 years so I'm definitely going Di2 next time & sorry I "Made the Leap to Red" like they marketed..
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM R2C Shifters...who has had multiple failures? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no, I don't use the R2C, because...

I run SRAM on my road bike and love it. When I was originally scoping out tri bikes, I told my LBS (tri focused) I really like SRAM road and asked what they thought on the tri side of things. They *aggressively* pushed me away from it, saying they get more r2c failures than all other failures. Basically said "We'll sell it to you if you want it, but we don't think you should buy it."

Message received.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM R2C Shifters...who has had multiple failures? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that would have been good to know! Eventually I found that out, but it's always 100% in hindsight isn't it? Looking forward to end of 2019 to start scoping out a new bike with Shimano. Of all the years I've had Shimano, only 1 failure--a bar end SIS shifter (Dura Ace) for the rear deraileur. Had no other components fail beyond that. Thing is, due to this experience, I don't trust SRAM for triathlon stuff--even for Blip, regardless of what pros or anyone else says now. My experience has been bad with SRAM, so they've lost my consumer trust here. On top of that, they gave me crap when their rear deraileur blew apart on me just over a year or so ago--and they told me to talk to my bike shop not them.

So...Shimano wins next time around.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM R2C Shifters...who has had multiple failures? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had my second rear R2C shifter failure. 2011 Felt B12. First one was warrantied. Not sure about this one yet, but I doubt it.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife's bike ran into R2C trouble a few years ago. So we swapped them for TT900 shifters. Rest of the group works perfectly. I would be hesitant to throw SRAM's whole groupset under the bus (and, well, eTap is also outstanding).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the Zipp version (Shimano) before going to eTap. Yup - rebuilt the rear shifter at least a couple of times. The teeth on that little gear and the 3 tiny arms eventually wear and fail to engage.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM R2C Shifters...who has had multiple failures? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the same sentiments of my LBS. They would order them if you forced them to, but they really didn't want to because no one has had luck with them. And this is a shop that will service anything brought through the door.

I ended up going Di2 and never looked back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multiple, no. Single, yes. My experience was it took a couple years for them to get sloppy. The rebuild kit was $20 or $25 and they were good as new. I have a recently rebuilt set in the classifieds because it was time for electronic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 1st tri bike (purchased in 2010) had SRAM R2C shifters. Since then, I'm on my 4th tri bike (current bike is brand new due to car vs bike accident). All bikes have had SRAM R2C shifters. I've done 5 IMs, 13 or 14 70.3 races as well as multiple sprint & Olympic races (and all the training to go along with the racing).

I've had 1 "failure" but it was basically just worn out. Can't remember if it was the front shifter or rear shifter (this was back in 2016). Anyway, 1 rebuild kit & LBS labor and I was good as new. I love SRAM R2C!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will eventually all fail (from a friend that knows a lot about them). yes, they are cool (I have them on my backup bike) but they always wear out. If you really love them, replace them consistently, or when they fail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got SRAM R2C on my 2012 DA1... love it, have never had any issues with it at all. And I love the "pow!" sound you get when you shift. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM R2C Shifters...who has had multiple failures? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just talked to the LBS mechanic (former Tour de France Team Mechanic for Garmin)...bad news, the pawls from the rebuild he did a year ago are fine, it's another part they can't order from SRAM, so for $168 they will replace the entire shifter. The 10 sp R2C isn't as good as the 11 durabililty wise. The FD is fine. This will be my 3rd R2C on this bike, plus had 2 rebuilds ALL on the RD. The other option was to replace the drivetrain with Shimano 10 sp but this is the "cheaper route" & only has to last 2 more years--then a new bike. A shifter is better than a whole new drive train I think. On average, the shifter has issues every 2'ish years.
Quote Reply