Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM AXS [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I read all the articles and posts to this thread, but didn't see this question - if AXS has sequential shifting, will it become available with etap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
note: you can run DUB and BB30 in a BB86 bottom bracket, no problem. Only BB90/92 cannot be run with DUB and BB30.

For Tri, the 10-33 paired with a 44t chainring will do the trick. But, for road riding, I'd definitely prefer 44 x 10-36

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
I don't mind spending some money on upgrades, in fact my bike's heading to the shop next week to have an alpha-one bar, QXL rings, and a premier bike chain installed.

QXL rings? Well in that case, the AXS crankset is not for you.

I think that in fairness to Dan and SRAM, there is a lot of really cool stuff in Red AXS, 12 speed, gearing ranges, innovative RD chain retention, 12 speed chain that is alleged to be quieter and better shifting than 11 speed...

If SRAM has really closed the gap in shifting speed, then I think my only two objections would be the chainring/PM limitations and price. The latter will come down I'm sure and if there is a workaround for the former...

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mcmetal wrote:

This is my thought as well. Pricing is reaching the absurd level. If you look at 4K tvs today, even QLED versions, you can get a 55-65" for around $600 - $1200. Bikes and equipment pricing keep going in the opposite direction. I'm probably nuts spending what I spend on bikes and equipment, but this goes above and beyond my tolerance.

Apples-to-apples. This is the equivalent of the videophile home theater piece. This isn't a Costco mass-market TV. This is an 8K 4320p 82" . ($15,000). It goes through special calibrations to make sure each pixel is outputting proper color, black levels, and dynamic range. And it's paired to a $8000 Klipsch sound system. And there are special curtains in the room to block out all ambient light, and the sound system is tuned to the geometry of the room with a special app.

What you're looking for is SRAM Rival. That's your $600-$1200 TV. And Rival is fantastic. The odds that it would hold you back in any situation are pretty slim, just like the odds that you'll enjoy a good movie any less with a $1200 TV are pretty slim.

Some of this should trickle down to Rival within 2-4 years, though.

The problem is, they don't sell many 8K TVs right now in part because there isn't the content to support it and very few folks will shell out that kind of money for that. Even 4K is lacking in content, but the cost to buy a 4K is practically the same as just HD. This from a market that includes as close to 100% of the population as you can really get. There are folks that will spend 50K on a watch or $3M on a car, but they don't sell many of these. These types of products have one simple purpose. To give people with more money than they can ever spend, something to spend it on.

When it comes to bikes, and especially high end racing bikes, the market just isn't big enough to support such extravagant ridiculous group sets. They are pricing themselves out of the market. They would be better off making improvements to the current offering and working on ways to lower the prices to sell more units and make more of a profit. Maybe i'm wrong, but I just don't see them selling many of these.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
note: you can run DUB and BB30 in a BB86 bottom bracket, no problem. Only BB90/92 cannot be run with DUB and BB30.

True, you can run DUB in a BB86 shell. But the bearing size required to fit that large a spindle in that diameter shell is sub-optimal.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [fatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forget where I read it, but I believe SRAM has no intention of making any firmware updates with etap (so no).
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
a power meter 20 years ago cost north of $2000. what does it cost you today? a carbon disc wheel cost you $2000 30 years ago. what does it cost you today?

I think this is an interesting comparison. 20 years ago who were the players in the powermeter game? Mostly SRM I presume. And they are still very expensive - I’m guessing similar to what they were in 1999. No trickledown. Prices have just now started to decrease by major players (powertap, quarq, Garmin) since there are so many inexpensive options available (power2max, assioma, stages) that they’ve likely started to feel the squeeze of pricing themselves out of the market.

As for discs. My history isn’t as good as yours, but I’m guessing Zipp was one of the original players. Not sure what they were running back in 1988, but everything they offer now is north of 2000. You can get cheaper discs from other brands, of course.

So what this tells me is sram is going to continue to be a halo product and we’ve gotta wait for a different company to join the party and either squeeze sram (and/or Shimano prices down) or just offer a 95% as good alternative at a much lower price

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that I know that Force AXS is coming at Sea Otter my rancor is dampened.

Probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I haven't read through everything, but I'm not seeing the new Etap as having a viable 1x gravel option? The road cassettes don't have sufficient low gears and the mtn cassette is only 10-50, but I doubt you could pair the 11-50 with a 44t ring or something or bigger using the eagle RD?

Edit: Shimano has a 10-45 12 speed cassette (assuming you had the micro spline freehub) - I'm wondering if etap eagle would work with this using a 44 or 46t chainring.

i'll be writing next about 1x. there absolutely IS a viable 1x option with new RED, and in fact you get it by pairing eagle with it. i'll walk you thru this tomorrow. but, basically, it's eagle RD, eagle chain, eagle 10-50 or 11-50, RED AXS road controls, and the chain ring is anywhere from 38 to 50 (in 2 tooth steps) with the 2 largest as direct mount and all the others a 4 bolt spider. you can use either an eagle or a RED crank.

so, yeah, you have an electronic 1x if you want it. the new RED RD has a fluid damper that is lighter, more roadlike, doesn't have or need a cage lockout. i'm seriously thinking of going to this for my gravel bike, because i just don't think the new 2x AXS options get me a low enough gear.

That's what I was suggesting as an option - using Eagle etap components with the road shifter/brakes. BUT, do you think it was designed to hangle using a huge chainring up to 50t? Do they even make chains that long?

they have a name for this; they call it the "mullet" config. RED eTap road shifters, eagle chain, RD, cassette. SRAM never speculates on whether something will work, so if they say it will it will.

as to chain size, is this for a tri bike? because, you really want to run a 50t ring with a 10t cog? if it's a tri bike, okay, but remember that a tri bike's chain stays are at least 20mm shorter than a gravel bike's stays, and that's worth a few teeth.

Ok, I did more digging on this and a German Sram rep confirmed the “mullet” setup has a 38t max chainring size as I suspected. Sooo, you may wanna double check with your Sram contact before advocating this. The source I found could have been wrong too, but I suspect you can’t use large rings with a 10-50.

Bonesbrigade wrote:

Ok, I did more digging on this and a German Sram rep confirmed the “mullet” setup has a 38t max chainring size as I suspected. Sooo, you may wanna double check with your Sram contact before advocating this. The source I found could have been wrong too, but I suspect you can’t use large rings with a 10-50.

I'm trying to comprehend why a larger chainwheel wouldn't work, and failing....othe than there maybe not being enough chain links on a bike with longer chain stays, a situation which can be remedied fairly easily.

Last edited by: gary p: Feb 7, 19 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Slowman wrote:

a power meter 20 years ago cost north of $2000. what does it cost you today? a carbon disc wheel cost you $2000 30 years ago. what does it cost you today?

I think this is an interesting comparison. 20 years ago who were the players in the powermeter game? Mostly SRM I presume. And they are still very expensive - I’m guessing similar to what they were in 1999. No trickledown. Prices have just now started to decrease by major players (powertap, quarq, Garmin) since there are so many inexpensive options available (power2max, assioma, stages) that they’ve likely started to feel the squeeze of pricing themselves out of the market.

As for discs. My history isn’t as good as yours, but I’m guessing Zipp was one of the original players. Not sure what they were running back in 1988, but everything they offer now is north of 2000. You can get cheaper discs from other brands, of course.

So what this tells me is sram is going to continue to be a halo product and we’ve gotta wait for a different company to join the party and either squeeze sram (and/or Shimano prices down) or just offer a 95% as good alternative at a much lower price

let me add some historical perspective. power meters. yes. you're about right. i think the SRM has probably come down maybe $500. but let's just say that it's the same, for grins. the dollar today is worth about half as much as it was 20 years ago. and, SRM is the only company - the ONLY company - in the power meter world that hasn't come down more than, say, 15 or so percent. another PM that was around 20 years ago was powertap's hub, and that's probably a third less than it was then, which means in real dollars it's come down by two-thirds.

zipp was probably 5th or 6th at best. the first one i knew of was aerosports. $2000 in 1985 as i remember. this was a 4- or 5-person partnership, between gary hooker and dave spangler (hooker header partners), chet kyle, scott and vickie gordon, and maybe the french guy who made the original tri spoke carbon wheel, rene (last name escapes me). imagine what $2000 in 1985 was in buying power back then.

i just don't think there is any history - any history - that supports your theory. you can argue this all the way down and it's just going to be a loser debate. where do you think veloce, 105, rival come from if you don't think it's record, DA and RED?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I haven't read through everything, but I'm not seeing the new Etap as having a viable 1x gravel option? The road cassettes don't have sufficient low gears and the mtn cassette is only 10-50, but I doubt you could pair the 11-50 with a 44t ring or something or bigger using the eagle RD?

Edit: Shimano has a 10-45 12 speed cassette (assuming you had the micro spline freehub) - I'm wondering if etap eagle would work with this using a 44 or 46t chainring.

i'll be writing next about 1x. there absolutely IS a viable 1x option with new RED, and in fact you get it by pairing eagle with it. i'll walk you thru this tomorrow. but, basically, it's eagle RD, eagle chain, eagle 10-50 or 11-50, RED AXS road controls, and the chain ring is anywhere from 38 to 50 (in 2 tooth steps) with the 2 largest as direct mount and all the others a 4 bolt spider. you can use either an eagle or a RED crank.

so, yeah, you have an electronic 1x if you want it. the new RED RD has a fluid damper that is lighter, more roadlike, doesn't have or need a cage lockout. i'm seriously thinking of going to this for my gravel bike, because i just don't think the new 2x AXS options get me a low enough gear.

That's what I was suggesting as an option - using Eagle etap components with the road shifter/brakes. BUT, do you think it was designed to hangle using a huge chainring up to 50t? Do they even make chains that long?

they have a name for this; they call it the "mullet" config. RED eTap road shifters, eagle chain, RD, cassette. SRAM never speculates on whether something will work, so if they say it will it will.

as to chain size, is this for a tri bike? because, you really want to run a 50t ring with a 10t cog? if it's a tri bike, okay, but remember that a tri bike's chain stays are at least 20mm shorter than a gravel bike's stays, and that's worth a few teeth.

i'll check.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interested in seeing this 1x article.

a 50 x 11-50 is equivalent to a 55x11 and 34x34. My guess is that most people would opt for tighter spacing over that astronomical gear range.

I really liked Rotor's 1x13 gearing chart: http://rotorbike.com/...18/07/ROTOR-1x13.pdf

a 46 x 10-39 would be a bit easier than 34x28 and a bit harder than 50x11 with reasonable gear spacing.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I’m saying is just a few years ago u cos get the top of the line bike for $ 4500-5000 . Now you get a top of line trek and it’s $13,000 for a bicycle . I love bicycles i usually buy a new one every year yes I’m spoiled . All I’m saying is when u can buy a Honda motorcycle cheaper there is a problem . It’s just got to the point where it’s a huge purchase and i question when will it end .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
let me add some historical perspective. power meters. yes. you're about right. i think the SRM has probably come down maybe $500. but let's just say that it's the same, for grins. the dollar today is worth about half as much as it was 20 years ago.

$1 from 20 years ago is worth $1.46 today based on actual inflation.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainhard wrote:
All I’m saying is just a few years ago u cos get the top of the line bike for $ 4500-5000 . Now you get a top of line trek and it’s $13,000 for a bicycle . I love bicycles i usually buy a new one every year yes I’m spoiled . All I’m saying is when u can buy a Honda motorcycle cheaper there is a problem . It’s just got to the point where it’s a huge purchase and i question when will it end .

Exactly. The price creep even taking into account inflation and everything else is absurd.

Think of all the parts, engineering, electronics, research, crash testing etc required to design and manufacture a car compared to a bike and the costs just don't add up.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
The price creep

Price creep is when like-for-like products become gradually more expensive.

What we're seeing here is simply the top-end getting higher. The costs are obscene because you've scraped all the way through the bottom of the diminishing returns barrel and are chipping away at the concrete floor the barrel is sitting on.

You can still get a $5000 bike, and it's in some ways better than a $3,300 bike was in 1999.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Feb 7, 19 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
interested in seeing this 1x article.

a 50 x 11-50 is equivalent to a 55x11 and 34x34. My guess is that most people would opt for tighter spacing over that astronomical gear range.

I really liked Rotor's 1x13 gearing chart: http://rotorbike.com/...18/07/ROTOR-1x13.pdf

a 46 x 10-39 would be a bit easier than 34x28 and a bit harder than 50x11 with reasonable gear spacing.

Remember, Rotor said they were going to offer 12 speed cassettes with the same gears sans the 10T small cog.....and that they'd fit on a standard HG freehub. Curious to know if the Rotor cog spacing will be the same as SRAM.

And, for 1x, you really don't need the SRAM 12s chainrings. The current crop of 10/11S 1x chain wheels will work. Alas, they're not selling the Eagle ASX RD's stand-alone, yet. That would make it too easy (cheap) for folks with Eagle mechanical to upgrade, I guess. So, for now, on a road application, we're stuck with a 33T largest rear cog.

Last edited by: gary p: Feb 7, 19 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Remember, Rotor said they were going to offer 12 speed cassettes with the same gears sans the 10T small cog.....and that they'd fit on a standard HG freehub. Curious to know if the Rotor cog spacing will be the same as SRAM.

And, for 1x, you really don't need the SRAM 12s chainrings. The current crop of 10/11S 1x chain wheels will work. Alas, they're not selling the Eagle ASX RD's stand-alone, yet. That would make it too easy (cheap) for folks with Eagle mechanical to upgrade, I guess. So, for now, on a road application, we're stuck with a 33T largest rear cog.

I'm hoping for this as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are individual component weights listed anywhere? And pricing for the RD and new blip box?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
...pricing for the RD and new blip box?

$1350 for a RD, blip box, two Clicks, and two Blips

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainhard wrote:

yes, there are $13,000 bicycles. because a bicycle exits that costs as much as a motorcycle, you're mad at cycling. but you're aware that there are motorcycles that cost a quarter mil, right? that's obscene! therefore no motorcycles for you! there's also cars that costs as much as mansions. no cars!

looks like you're going to be walking. barefoot. because, have you seen what top of the line shoes cost!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Next, the 12s cassette with 10t rear cog. I mean, us 1x folks have been wanting this for so long. This alone make this group worth the praise. I can't wait to chuck my Force 1x RD and its clunky shifting, but I've been grateful for its clutch - even with dws sends me straight into a log in the middle of the road with no warning, there was no dropped chain.

So we should be praising SRAM now when they should have given you that gear/gain ratio back when 1x was first introduced? Now it just costs you a shit ton of money to get you what you should have already had.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM AXS [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
They would be better off making improvements to the current offering and working on ways to lower the prices to sell more units and make more of a profit. Maybe i'm wrong, but I just don't see them selling many of these.

I agree it's a risk.

And I agree that SRAM has been inconsistent. They introduced eTap at the high end and haven't trickled it down. Then they introduced mechanical 1x at the lower end (Rival/Force) and failed to trickle it up.

The safe, natural progression would have been for us to be seeing Force eTap and Red 1x about now. Instead of doing the safe thing, they must mashed their finger on the reset button and changed the whole game. I think history will look at all the individual innovations kindly. The freehub, smaller direct-mount rings, etc. But I agree this first iteration may not take off like wildfire. I'm a six-figure income guy with no kids, and bikes being my one vice. And I'm not touching this stuff anytime soon.

But SRAM is playing the long game. Which is smart. I bet in 10 years most of this stuff will be fully mainstream and on Rival-level kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
$1350 for a RD, blip box, two Clicks, and two Blips

Thanks! So $2500 with batteries, charger, crankset, cassette, and XDR conversions for a 1x. Ouch. I'm starting to think Rotor 1x13 may come out cheaper.
Quote Reply

Prev Next