Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM - 11 speed blipbox
Quote | Reply
Has anyone been able to get a hold of this somewhere? It seems that only 12 speed is available now and the non AXS can't be find anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Has anyone been able to get a hold of this somewhere? It seems that only 12 speed is available now and the non AXS can't be find anywhere.

I think secondary market is about it these days.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are 2 on ebay but the last one I saw went for ...$750...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep SRAM said they would support etap 11 speed but that was a lie. 11 speed blip boxes are nowhere to be found and can’t be ordered. The whole electronic shifting thing is a big scam especially from sram. (Should just change the “r” to a “c” — that would reflect reality). They constantly force you to upgrade everything. It’s going to really affect the people who decide to take a year or two off from tri or bike races then go to ride their race bike only to find nothing works. Parts won’t be available and the whole system will need to be replaced or the bike is junk.

The bike manufacturers’ model nowadays is they want to either sell the $600 bike (volume) or the $9000 bike (High margins). And nothing in between.
Last edited by: J7: Dec 9, 20 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it was similar with Di2. The first gen is not compatible with e-tube. I can't comment on the availability of the gen 1 components once e-tube was released, but every iteration since the switch has been backwards compatible.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur

I had a stripped head on the high limit screw of FD. Could not find a new stand-alone FD to replace it. Full sets are outrageous, if you can find them in used market.

Looked toward upgrading to AXS, but you have to do the whole system: shifters, mechs, BB, crankset/PM, cassette, hub. Even worse, if you need a new chainring with AXS, you have to replace the PM. Pretty remarkable really that they have phased out 11 speed so quickly with that requirement.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

SRAM is going to make systems like this fairly attractive if they keep phasing stuff out...shouldn't be hard to mount the switch box on aerobars. You may have to commit to 1X on a TT/Tri bike for this solution though:

https://www.triathlete.com/...-electronic-shifter/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered one thru my local shop a few months ago , said SRAM had some stock . The was nothing available online at that time . Might try that approach unless SRAM sold out
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
Yep SRAM said they would support etap 11 speed but that was a lie.

Not a lie. They just came out with an updated 11-speed eTap rear derailleur. And many 11-speed eTap parts (like new derailleurs and shifters) are easily available.

But it'd be bad form if they stopped supporting some bits of it without being clear about that. Though it may just be the inventory issues that a lot of manufacturers seem to be having (having a really hard time finding a new Wahoo Element Bolt, including from the Wahoo site).

Edit: It seems that SRAM is supporting all 11-speed eTap *except* the Blipbox, at least going by the main SRAM page. Very odd.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 12, 20 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Francois wrote:

SRAM is going to make systems like this fairly attractive if they keep phasing stuff out...shouldn't be hard to mount the switch box on aerobars. You may have to commit to 1X on a TT/Tri bike for this solution though:

The early reviews on that thing aren't great, though.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Francois wrote:

Can you point to one? The few I've perused have been generally positive.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Francois wrote:

Can you point to one? The few I've perused have been generally positive.

Just the thread on this forum. Maybe I was over-generalizing based on n=2, but I took a pause when the first two people on this forum (morelock, milesthedog - both credible) to try it had issues. That doesn't mean it couldn't end up being a great product eventually.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 12, 20 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find any blip boxes or FDs when I was looking, or the TT clicks (though blips can be just used instead).

I ended up overpaying for a slightly used TT mini group on eBay, which still saved me money from a full swap out to AXS.

Very frustrating.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
J7 wrote:
Yep SRAM said they would support etap 11 speed but that was a lie.

Not a lie. They just came out with an updated 11-speed eTap rear derailleur. And many 11-speed eTap parts (like new derailleurs and shifters) are easily available.

But it'd be bad form if they stopped supporting some bits of it without being clear about that. Though it may just be the inventory issues that a lot of manufacturers seem to be having (having a really hard time finding a new Wahoo Element Bolt, including from the Wahoo site).

Edit: It seems that SRAM is supporting all 11-speed eTap *except* the Blipbox, at least going by the main SRAM page. Very odd.

What's the point if they don't support the Blipbox, that's ridiculous mine is not that old, 2017. I think I may have a Blipbox issue, but hopefully just the clicks; my clicks stopped working but the blips on the base bar still work.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That could very well be one of the ports on the blip box. I'm on my second. The blip ports on my first box started to not work and eventually crapped out all together. I have a feeling it was from liquid ingress.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I only have water above stored in BTA where the blipbox is. Could also be sweat, but I roll a towel and stuff in my BTA cage when on the trainer, other times a bottle is in the cage.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:

What's the point if they don't support the Blipbox, that's ridiculous mine is not that old, 2017. I think I may have a Blipbox issue, but hopefully just the clicks; my clicks stopped working but the blips on the base bar still work.

For TT/Tri purposes, I agree, that makes little sense. I have it on my road bike, so am glad all my bits are still supported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My blip box just died as well after 2 years. Seemed to have gotten sweat in it and corroded a chip after taking it apart. Also couldn’t find a blip box so got a new axs box and rear derailleur as I run 1x on my tri bike.

Also got the chain, free hubs and cassette, wasn’t planning on spending all that money right now.
Last edited by: Craigfsl: Dec 13, 20 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [Craigfsl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m running shimano mech now but wanted to go SRAM 1X and electronic without changing everything. Guess I’ll stick to shimano mech.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [Craigfsl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chain rings too?

I was all set to do the same thing. Then drew the line at new chainrings/BB/PM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious whether anyone has an update on this. Is it related to an external factor (e.g. the global chip shortage) or is SRAM deliberately giving the hand to anyone in need of an 11-speed blip box?

https://arstechnica.com/...lobal-chip-shortage/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I understand it Sram have discontinued all 11s etap, say they are only supplying warranty replacements (& who knows how long they will keep that up for). A shame.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [bikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikerun wrote:
As I understand it Sram have discontinued all 11s etap, say they are only supplying warranty replacements (& who knows how long they will keep that up for). A shame.

I don't believe that's correct. I think they're continuing to sell individual replacement parts (warranty or not). One exception might be the Blipbox, for some unknown reason. They have stopped selling the big box with the entire group in it.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 13, 21 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope I’m wrong but I was under the impression they are just clearing out existing stock. 11s front mech also has not been available anywhere for a while now. For the blipbox sram say they can only supply for crash replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM - 11 speed blipbox [bikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikerun wrote:
I hope I’m wrong but I was under the impression they are just clearing out existing stock. 11s front mech also has not been available anywhere for a while now. For the blipbox sram say they can only supply for crash replacement.

They just released an all-new 11sp RD with the orbit clutch in September.

I agree they should just tell us what's going on.

Like SRAM just apparently killed PowerTap with no warning.
Quote Reply

Prev Next