Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday
Quote | Reply
Who you got?

Cav and Team Sky are the insurmountable favs, but i'm going with the "underdog" podium of:

Peter Sagan
Philippe Gilbert
Fabian Cancellara

Boonen basically said that you need a largish group of at least 15 riders after the last ascent of Zig-Zag Hill to have a chance of staying away

For the women's Race, two repeats of Zig-Zag hill ain't gonna do notting. But again, i bias agains the sprinters has me going

Clara Hughes
Mariane Vos (who else but her to always claim the 2nd best when it counts)
Evelyn Stevens
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have got to say that the GB team is on form, 4 stage winners from the tdf (Wiggins, Froome, Millar and Cavendish) plus the British champion in Stannard (who went well in the Tour Of Poland).
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a cop out but cav will either be in the final group with a km to go or not win. Personally i think the circiut combined with tactics will combine to not allow him in a sprint finish.

That makes Sagan the prohibitive favorite, but after Sagan you could name 15 guys with a great shot. And that brings me back to why Cav wont win. With so many legit shots, as long as the finish isn't a big bunch, i think it will be attack and counter attacks form the get go.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea what the weather forecast is for tomorrow's race? I remember hearing earlier in the week it might be rainy. Haven't hear anything since.
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, it seems obvious, Cav will either or not win, but I understand what you mean.

Sagan is the odds on favorite. He just has a better shot of being in the lead group and being fresh enough to set himself up for a sprint finish. And when it comes down to the pseudo-sprinters (aka Classics Riders like Gilbert and Cancellara), Sagan has the legs to win.

But I suppose I'm supposed to say...Go Farrar! Hope he doesn't get into a fight with anyone at the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an idiot..

what time is this going to show in the U.S?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cav lost 4kg and has been riding Box Hill more times than anyone can count.

I don't think there's any way he's getting dropped (or that there's any way Team Sky plus Millar and who knows maybe plus Bernie Eisel) let a break succeed.

@kburnsgallagher
http://www.somerandomthursday.com
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53x12 wrote:
Any idea what the weather forecast is for tomorrow's race? I remember hearing earlier in the week it might be rainy. Haven't hear anything since.

Latest weather is dry and around 21C.
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [Tri-livin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 am eastern time according to my NBC app.
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [kaburns1214] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Losing weight can work against him, he did the same last year and was lousy until he gained some back. Hopefully he learned where the sweet spot is. I'm sure he has climbed the hill a bunch, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [kaburns1214] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kaburns1214 wrote:

I don't think there's any way he's getting dropped (or that there's any way Team Sky plus Millar and who knows maybe plus Bernie Eisel) let a break succeed.

No way Cav keeps up with Gilbert, Sagan, Cancellara, Boonen...etc. if they decide to attack on Box Hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Losing weight can work against him, he did the same last year and was lousy until he gained some back. Hopefully he learned where the sweet spot is. I'm sure he has climbed the hill a bunch, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot.

He looked pretty good on Sunday.

@kburnsgallagher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the constituents of any break will be the biggest determinent of whether it stays away. I don't think GB has a big enough team to control the race, so will need help from other teams. If some of the other big teams miss a break, they will have to work. If everyone relies on GB to control the race, then a breakaway has a good chance of staying away.
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's at 5 a.m eastern, 2 am pacific. Super psyched! Breakfast with champions!

Quote | Reply
kaburns1214 wrote:
Cav lost 4kg and has been riding Box Hill more times than anyone can count.

I think Cav will win, althought would much rather see Sagan win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Its a cop out but cav will either be in the final group with a km to go or not win. Personally i think the circiut combined with tactics will combine to not allow him in a sprint finish.

That makes Sagan the prohibitive favorite, but after Sagan you could name 15 guys with a great shot. And that brings me back to why Cav wont win. With so many legit shots, as long as the finish isn't a big bunch, i think it will be attack and counter attacks form the get go.

I'm going with Sagan...he and others will do everything they can to shed Cav before the final sprint. By the way, can anyone tell me what the terrain in the final 4000m, 2000m, 1000m, 400m looks like?
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure its flat but twisty.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The finish is on the Mall, same place as the London Marathon. Assuming it arrives at the Buckingham Palace end, the finish is slightly uphill. It then depends on how far up the Mall they put the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
styrrell wrote:

I'm going with Sagan...he and others will do everything they can to shed Cav before the final sprint. By the way, can anyone tell me what the terrain in the final 4000m, 2000m, 1000m, 400m looks like?
Here's the written description:

There is a run-in of some 30 miles from the last ascent of Box Hill to the chequered flag on the Mall, where the prologue time trial of the 2007 Tour de France finished, with only the small climb in Richmond Park, another keynote destination for London cyclists. Running through largely urban streets to the finish, the overall profile of the road race will be akin to a "flat" stage of the Tour de France, with corners and road furniture likely to make for a nervous race, where crashes may well be a factor.

@kburnsgallagher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So even if Cav get's shed on the last climb of Box Hill, he has Wiggins to ride behind for 30 miles to deliver him to the peleton again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So even if Cav get's shed on the last climb of Box Hill, he has Wiggins to ride behind for 30 miles to deliver him to the peleton again?

Yup. Although its somewhat worrying that Wiggo was at the opening ceremonies ringing the Olympic bell in his yellow polo shirt rather than getting to bed early.

@kburnsgallagher
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [Blue Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blue Rider wrote:
I think it's at 5 a.m eastern, 2 am pacific. Super psyched! Breakfast with champions!

i'm postponing my long ride tomorrow until Sunday so i can watch this. psyched! though if Cav wins, i may have to start drinking at 11am
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, plus Stannard, Millar anf Froome. Not a bad quad to drive the front of a race. Plus any professional allies and other teams that missed the break. It will be interesting to see how tactics in the race pan out. Will teams work with GB given that there are 3 medals on the line not just glory for the winner
Quote Reply
Re: SPOILER Olympic Road Race. Mens on Saturday & Womens on Sunday [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philb wrote:
Yes, plus Stannard, Millar anf Froome. Not a bad quad to drive the front of a race. Plus any professional allies and other teams that missed the break. It will be interesting to see how tactics in the race pan out. Will teams work with GB given that there are 3 medals on the line not just glory for the winner

What team would want to do that knowing that Cav will beat any of their riders in a pure sprint. Might as well just hang on behind GB and have them bring you to the line/attack from 10km out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next