Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Must admit I am amazed at this. Surely the 1 minute you save over the IM course will be lost as you try to accomplish this magic trick. Or worse crash out.

This is really ridiculous. Specialized has some balls.

Discuss

It's a very well designed bike. What's with the outrage?

Really though?

It is fractionally quicker than an already slow bike with a hydration system that appears to be a nightmare to live with. I know they're a great marketing company but they aren't great at making exceptional bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.google.com.au/...-tV5ABBoCMuEQAvD_BwE

Put 2 of those in any bladder type and wait a couple of days. rinse out and it is as good as new.
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
https://www.google.com.au/...-tV5ABBoCMuEQAvD_BwE

Put 2 of those in any bladder type and wait a couple of days. rinse out and it is as good as new.

For me it is the drinks hose/straw cleaning and re-routing that would be the point of concern. They haven't managed to make gear re-cabling these bikes a 5 minute job yet so Id be intrigued to see how easy (or not) re-routing the drinks straw is. Designing a bike entirely around hydration is an interesting approach though.
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Yes! Fill the rear hydration bladder with concentrated calories or electrolytes. Then have a BTA of water that you can refill. This way you won’t drip sugar all over your front brake caliper :)

^This. I don't own a Shiv, but if I had this bike, I'd probably use this as my nutrition strategy.

Regardless of if it's a good or bad design, I think it's nice to see some innovation and changes being made. IMO, a total flop but new idea on a bike beats out a '1% more aerodynamic and 8g lighter where's my $5000?' bike. We'll never get cool, new technology unless someone is willing to take the risk!
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:
We'll never get cool, new technology unless someone is willing to take the risk!

This guy gets it!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t go well for Charles at Hawi dropped bottle and lid flapping open. I’m hoping her reservoir was empty and if she pisses Doesn’t have to take a suck on the straw later in the race... Really not sure why you would consider filling it an option as she had a rear bottle cage and a bta?
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I *thought* she had a fixed bottle up front?

This new design is dogshit. (No disrespect)..
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
Good on Specialized for recognizing that triathletes have no handling skills (by not making a claim that the bladder can be refilled on the fly).

Except they did make the claim that it can be refilled on the fly. It was designed that way, pros are doing it (today), which means some % of age groupers will attempt it.

I imagine it'd be marketed that way too if not for liability concerns of Specialized's lawyers.
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
spool wrote:
Good on Specialized for recognizing that triathletes have no handling skills (by not making a claim that the bladder can be refilled on the fly).

Except they did make the claim that it can be refilled on the fly. It was designed that way, pros are doing it (today), which means some % of age groupers will attempt it.

I imagine it'd be marketed that way too if not for liability concerns of Specialized's lawyers.
No they didn’t. They even came here and said that wasn’t a design feature. And have been clear that they do not claim that as a feature.

Have some pros decided to do that? Yes. Doesn’t mean it’s a design feature.

In fact the Spec reps have specifically said its been designed so for the first half their athletes don’t need to grab a bottle. Pop one BTA and BTS and you have 4 bottles worth.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: SPECIALIZED wants you to refill behind & underneath your seat WTF [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
trail wrote:
spool wrote:

No they didn’t. They even came here and said that wasn’t a design feature. And have been clear that they do not claim that as a feature.

Have some pros decided to do that? Yes. Doesn’t mean it’s a design feature.

In fact the Spec reps have specifically said its been designed so for the first half their athletes don’t need to grab a bottle. Pop one BTA and BTS and you have 4 bottles worth.

Per the lead engineer on this forum:

Quote:
The lid does pop off. Refilling on the fly is possible but it’s not a function that we claim due to each riders different setups and bike handling skills.

Many of our pros in Kona will be refilling their systems on the fly, but it’s very individual.

Then he described exactly how to do it with pictures in this post.
Quote:
To fill on the fly, you can pop off the cap and squirt squirt squirt...

It's an incredibly coincidental set of unrelated, accidental engineering features that just make it possible and relatively easy, and their pros just happen to be taking advantage of and if you buy this bike you can too...just squirt squirt squirt.. But it's definitely not a design feature. Only *skilled* riders should attempt it.

Last edited by: trail: Oct 13, 18 16:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next