Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SO CA FIRES; Souza and Paul Thomas evaucated!!!
Quote | Reply
There is a small thread in the LV room on this, but it is reaching out to affect a lot of ST'ers now. The San dDiego fires have forced Kenny and Paul out of their houses, and Paul and his lovely wife Noreen just arrived here to hunker down and ride out the worst fire season ever here. Noreen grabbed their two cats, and Paul grabbed all his training logs and his road bike. Everyone has their priorities, I know a lot of you would probably grab your bikes high on your list of things to save.

Anyway, a lot of people getting displaced right now, and the Santa Ana winds are just crazy, so it probably will get owrse before it gets better. NOt to worry though, Slowtwitch central is safe for now, and I hear that we have backup somewhere deep in the CO mountains....
Quote Reply
Re: SO CA FIRES; Souza and Paul Thomas evaucated!!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no, I hope it all works out for the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like a real mess.

nice that you are able to help them out.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep. 8 fires in San Diego County and counting....its pretty bad. We're packed and ready to go if it comes to that.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: SO CA FIRES; Souza and Paul Thomas evaucated!!! [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your not under mandatory evacuation yet? Thought you would be. I am waiting to hear that they want me to leave too.
Quote Reply
Re: SO CA FIRES; Souza and Paul Thomas evaucated!!! [couchweight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Oceanside....the closest fire is the Fallbrook fire out in Rainbow Canyon/Rice Canyon.

We're waiting nervously for updates.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's the smoke there? I am in solana and its nasty. I am thinking of getting out of here for a few days. I am thinking I wont have to be back at work till thursday. Where do I go though?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just heard on the news that 250,000 people have been evaucated in San Diego alone. Arnold was just on the news, we are now a federal emergency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my parents are in the evac zone of I-5, I-15, I-56, and Del Dios. Fortunately they are in the southwest corner of that quadrant, so they should be OK. 10s of 1000s of home would have to go before their home.

When visiting them recently, I have done extensive riding in the relatively new roads of this evaucation quadrant, and there are tons of homes out there. Rancho Santa Fe and Fairbanks ranch are right on the border of some large canyons. Hopefully the fires will not rip right through those canyons and into the developments. Good link for local news and footage: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/...11724377/detail.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live just up the street from PT and Souza and they evacuated us last night as well. Pretty dark with smoke around here today...

http://www.procompression.com - Athletic Performance Socks
discount code ES20 20%
Quote Reply
Re: SO CA FIRES; Souza and Paul Thomas evaucated!!! [couchweight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not too bad actually, I believe the wind is SW, so the smoke is being blown more south of us....I can see it though if I walk out my front door and look east.

Funny thing...we just got back from a week vacation at the Grand Canyon on Saturday....they were doing all kinds of controlled burns out there. Maybe we should have stayed in AZ.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents are waiting word to evacuate, they live in Stagecoach Park area on the other side of the hill west from Paul and Kenny, but right now they are at home.

We are working today here at De Soto so Miramar area and west to La Jolla is safe.

They have just evacuated Pomerado Hospital.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Last edited by: Emilio: Oct 22, 07 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fiance used to live about 2 blocks from them. Lots of friends and family back there, have two friends online giving me updates via IM, because all the websites are slammed. Fiance's brother is in Carlsbad, and they are starting to worry about the fire near Cal St San Marcos starting to burn towards them. 40-50 mph winds are feeding the frenzy.

I was there during the Cedar fire, and remember driving across the 56 to get my brother and seeing the wall of flames coming at the freeway, we could see the lights behind us of the cops closing the freeway...and so far this is WAY worse, lots of neighborhoods on fire!

Best wishes to all that are there, stay safe and be sure your packed and ready to go, regardless of where you are, the winds can move this thing fast through neighborhoods!

If we hadn't moved to CO, we would be stressing out in Escondido right now!!!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: SO CA FIRES; Souza and Paul Thomas evaucated!!! [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unconfirmed reports that they are evacuating Leucadia.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can confirm that they are NOT. My parents live directly east of Leucadia and they would need to be evacuated first. They are still at home.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
update from sdcountyemergency.com

10-22-07 10:54 a.m. Interstate 15 update: It was reported earlier that Interstate 15 would reopen but Caltrans is now requesting that Interstate 15 be closed again because of fire threats to wooden structures along the freeway.

10-22-07 10:38 a.m. Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for Rancho Santa Fe, portions of Leucadia, as well as the Olivenhain Dam area. Mandatory evacuations have also been ordered for Lakeside at 13100 Willow Rd.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See my update. Not sure what portion of Leucadia is being referred to.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i read in signonsandiego.com that they were evacuating everything between the 56 and the 78, and between the 15 and the 5.

i also read that the firefighters had endeavored to contain the fire in a "box" scribed by the 79, the 8 and the 76. some box. nice to know they're protecting bonita, chula vista and national city ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I evacuated out of RB. Now at my friend's condo in downtown. You can smell the smoke here.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Re: SO CA FIRES; Souza and Paul Thomas evaucated!!! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents just got the call. My sister did too. She lives in Encinitas near Village Park, which means that Huddle/Paula will get out too.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was evacuated just after 9am this morning. I live right by the intersections for La Costa Ave and Rancho Santa Fe near San Elijo Hills and Stagecoach Park. It's nuts... I am now safe and sound downtown.... and my two favorite bikes are safe too!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
"A lot of people run to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark
Air quality in HB is just bad. It's very windy here. I'm sure there are a lot of our ST family is dealing with this in one way or another. Sorry about Kenny and Paul. It's good to hear they are safe.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if any L.A. Basin slowtwitchers need a place to bring horses, we have empty stalls. trailer them up. let me know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's a couple photos as i was leaving my house:

----------------------------------------------------------------
"A lot of people run to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an uncle who had his home in the berkeley hills when we had the firestorm there a few years back.
He lost everyone, and I mean everything.

October is always a risky month in Calif for this type of stuff. I hope everyone gets out safely, and the front passes SOON!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next