Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOS Triathlon - Who's doing it in 2018?
Quote | Reply
This will be my first one. I'm a decent cyclist, strong swimmer and weak runner. I'm very nervous already!

What is everyone doing for training for this thing? It's a bit of a mixed bag. I plan on running, running and more running!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon - Who's doing it in 2018? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in this year but I did it last year and it was awesome!!! I am the opposite of you, strong runner and slower swimmer. I didn't change my regular training to much. I Attended their bootcamp weekend they offered which I would recommend 100% especially for first timers, I also did Garden State Swim Run https://runsignup.com/...h/GardenStateSwimRun, which is a local swim run race in NJ. Tons of transitions, was awesome practice and a fun race. Other than that I did a couple swim to run to swim to run bricks here and there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the third time.

Don’t worry much about the bike, it’s 30 ish miles of rollers and a “climb” that’s more like 2 or 3 1k sections with a little bit of flatter terrain in between

As a strong swimmer you’ll probably get passed by the same folks on the run each leg :). I’m a stronger swimmer than runner and that’s what happens to me every time.

I do a lot of run/swim/run/swim/run (or more) workouts leading up to it, with a lot of hills. Figuring out your gear and transitions is also a lot of it.

First run starts out gradual then you hit Cardiac Hill. Lake isn’t too far from that. Second run starts out uphill then just keeps going up, but more gradually. Then down to the second lake. Third run has the worst part, steep downhill on pavement for maybe a 1/3 mile, then back on trails, starts to get really hard here just in time for Godzilla :).

Last run is just cruelty.

Have fun ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Interested to hear more about the elevation changes and the climbs. Training
by doing lots of swim/run in/at the lake. Also plan to participate in Swim/Run for practice: https://raceroster.com/...ry-swimrun-challenge
What is the size grade of the big hills?
Last edited by: niagirl: May 7, 18 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon - Who's doing it in 2018? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bad are we talking when referring to Cardiac Hill and Godzilla? Runable? Unrunable? I'm a very average runner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in and a first timer. I’m planning on doing BarryP type run training and practicing some open water swimming with my shoes stuffed in my shorts! Also going to see if I can run sockless in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
How bad are we talking when referring to Cardiac Hill and Godzilla? Runable? Unrunable? I'm a very average runner!

Yes they are runnable. Slowly. I am also an average runner. But, not sure you want to. Cardiac comes early, about mile 2, and it’s honestly pretty short. It’s only a couple minutes of walking before it flattens out. I didn’t see a need to push here so early.

It doesn’t have a name, but the climb out of swim 1 isn’t as steep but it just doesn’t relent. As I recall run 2 is basically a couple miles up a couple miles down

Godzilla is bad because it’s long, steep, and comes right about mile 17 or 18. It’s also runnable, but I’ve never seen the need to. And when you think you’re at the top you’re not.

The last .5 mile run or whatever it is to Skytop is actually the steepest, but the one you should run. Most everyone is walking it just trying to get up. Very very few people actually run it (“run” in quotes). If you run this you’re a stud no matter what kind of runner you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:

Cardiac I had no issues running as with most of the hills on the course. Just was being careful not to burn to many matches for the back end.

Godzilla is a beast!!!! felt like death by that point but kept the legs moving, I don't think I walked but def wasn't moving much faster running it.

The final scramble to the top as mentioned is steep, than steeper, and somehow steeper still. I had enough left to get up pretty fast, I think I had a top 10 time for that section so all is runnable if you manage your legs properly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I broke my ankle and have only been out of the cast/boot for 2 weeks. I had to defer my entry until next year. Super bummed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
Unfortunately, I broke my ankle and have only been out of the cast/boot for 2 weeks. I had to defer my entry until next year. Super bummed.

Don’t be. It could be worse.

My buddy (who also did SOS last year) got hit by a car 2 days ago, and his bike was totaled.
He’s mostly in one piece, but banged up badly and likely won’t be racing this year.

I’m in again this year.
I’m a local now (start line is like 3m from my house) and it’s in the bylaws that I’m now required to so SOS every year.

PS - Water is comfy. And likely to stay that way with the heat wave we’re now having.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon - Who's doing it in 2018? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the injuries. Hope all heal well.
What do you mean by “comfy” for the water? Any idea of the lake temps? Are they all the same?
Practicing with and without a wetsuit but I would prefer without if not too cool.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Triathlon - Who's doing it in 2018? [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of now, you definitely don’t need a wetsuit.

Highs in 90’s next few days, then mostly 80’s after that.
So, the water temps should stay in the “comfy” range until the race.

I’m using Roka SIM shorts for the race, and in training, and the water has been lovely.
Most of the guys I train with have been swimming in tri shorts or speedos and been fine.

I wouldn’t bother w a wettie unless the water temps drop precipitously (like last year), and given the forecast, that’s highly unlikely.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How hard is it to get in to this event?

You need to have lighting fast internet access, a valid CC and USAT #, and nothing else to do at 12:00 midnight on Halloween.

It usually sells out in < 5 minutes.

IF you plan to register, you’ll want to set up your account on the IMAthlete portal in advance.

You also need to “qualify” by having done certain events within a certain time cutoff, but they are not “hard” -
< 15 hour IM or < 7 hour HIM.

https://www.sostriathlon.com/...stration-information

Click the link for all the info you need.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow... ok thanks for info

Trigirlpink wrote:
wow... ok thanks for info

You can also buy a charity slot, which adds around $1k to the cost, but makes it actually possible to register.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, thoughts with your friend. Hate hearing when any of us are taken out.

Second, I’m planning to come up to play & heckle. Watching you doggie paddle across Minnewaska ought to be worth the price of admission;)

If I make it, you’ll hear me.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there as race Sherpa for a buddy of mine. I’ve heard great things. It will be cool to get to witness firsthand.