Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SOMA in one week...who will be there?
Quote | Reply
So who will be at SOMA next weekend and which race will you be doing (1/2, Oly, Best of US)?

I will be there doing the 1/2...last race of the season!

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing the 1/4, bad hammie and all. I am currently on the no running for 2 weeks program prior to the race to see if that gives it time to recover.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm back for the Quarterman. I've decided I love to race faster and then cheer for all the Half-IM folks who have to suffer through the heat for double the distance. It will be fun to see how I can stack up against the Best of the US folks. Probably not well, since I'm assuming most of them can swim. :)

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm back for the Quarterman. I've decided I love to race faster and then cheer for all the Half-IM folks who have to suffer through the heat for double the distance.
Chad

Cool! Be on the lookout for me in my Red/Black Accelerate3 emblazed kit...I'll need some cheering! : )

-

Powered by:
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be on the lookout for me in my Red/Black Accelerate3 emblazed kit

I tried to get Brian to give me one of those since I'm now unsponsored, but he said he was out. I'll be there in an old Camp Pendleton tri team top since it fits really tight and doesn't flap in the wind.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So will the swim be wetsuit or non-wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 1/4man. I like going faster then I can in a 1/2. I DNF'd my last 2 races. Only the 2nd and 3rd in 18 years. First one I got very sick to start the bike and the next weekend I snapped 2 seat bracket bolts to start the bike and the seat fell off : (

I'll have 2 more races after this one. I'm racing up in Kingman on Saturday, Nov 8th and Parker on Sunday Nov. 9th. Its a 2 race weekend to end the year.

I'll probably have the only Zipp frame in transition.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for the Half...

Wetsuit legal - water temp 71 degrees tonight.
http://www.tempe.gov/wx/townlake.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [tri_26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for the 1/4. Last race before IMAZ. Hoping to have a hard race and
make it up to MOP. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 1/4. I did this race last year and loved it. I hope the heat stays away for those doing the half!

Good luck to everyone racing!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to let everyone know, they changed the bike course.

It seems like we may now get 5 U-turns. I'm sure that will
really help with congestion. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there, it's going to be my first 1/2IM. We should have a Slowtwitch meet and greet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'll be there with wife and baby representing Delaware in the Best of the US. I am a bit shaky on the logistics at this point... is everything run at the same time? I am under the impression that my race starts at 6:30 am, which is like twenty minutes before sunrise so heat shouldn't be a big issue. Cool at the start, heating up at the finish but not real bad. Is this generally considered a well run event?
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [soulswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well ran event. Bike can get a bit congested at times though.

-

Powered by:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RedRockCo does a really good job. There will be plenty of volunteers handing out drinks and food throughout both the bike and run. The Bike course is a total mess (at least the way it was set up last year, it's been changed for at least the 3rd year in a row). There's a ton of turns, drafting, and not nearly enough room in certain areas for the faster riders to pass the slower riders. In RedRock's defense, this may be more of a city of Tempe issue than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were always a lot of u-turns. I can recall at least four from last year, maybe five so that doesn't sound like much of a change. For all that it is mostly flat, it's not particularly fast on the bike.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a bit shaky on the logistics at this point... is everything run at the same time? I am under the impression that my race starts at 6:30 am, which is like twenty minutes before sunrise so heat shouldn't be a big issue.

I think there was one men's wave and one women's wave in the Quarterman last year. I can't imagine that they won't have a separate wave for you folks though. I think 6:30 is going to be pushing it for daylight though. Coming back last year was terrible with the sun right in your eyes. The first lap of the bike is pretty smooth running but the second half-lap can definately start to be congested. There are enough wider spots in the road that I don't ever remember passing being a problem.

Last year was record heat, but again, Quarterman is done before it gets too ugly. The run was mildly warm but I still ran well, probably because I was right at home running at 85 degrees being from the desert. The half-IM racers though, they had their brains baked.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the first wave of the 1/4, so the first part of the bike will be great!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there- I'm representing NM for BoUS- we have our own separate race-100 racers only, mass start, 6:30 am wetsuit legal-not sure about the transition area but maybe it's all the same. Did SOMA 1/2 last year and was impressed- very well run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the half and hoping that it's not anywhere near the temps of last year.

I'm going to be going swimming the day before in the lake. We should do the meet n greet @ that time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the questions can be answered from Red Rock's website.

Expect it to be hot again for the half. Long range forecasts put
it at close to 90. That'll be warm for you non-desert people
at street level. It will be cool in the morning. Don't forget
to sunscreen.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: SOMA in one week...who will be there? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, I plan on being there at the pre swim, It would be good to catch up with you then as I think the last time I ran into you was at the Swiss Am. Crit. I believe the pre swim runs from 1 to 3. I have to be at work by 3 so I plan on getting my pre swim in early.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oct 26

Sunny
89°
63°

-