Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SLS3 TT Helmet - Info or comments on this aero helmet?
Quote | Reply
Alright, so I'm currently riding with a Giro Foray for all of my training and racing and am starting to look for some speedier upgrades, but don't want to break the bank. I'm looking to keep the price below $150 but well under that would be nice. Just doing some snooping around and I'm leaning towards the LG-P09 as it tests well on most people (relying on the eyeball wind tunnel approach for now) and is relatively light. I'm also considering the Bell Javelin or some other good eBay find.

HOWEVER, I did come across this SLS3 Aero Helmet . $80 ($140 on the SLS3 website), OK reviews, short tail, lightweight, CSPC certified, decent vents, attached visor...

Could it be worth trying out?

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: SLS3 TT Helmet - Info or comments on this aero helmet? [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite literally am looking at buying one as well.

I use an SL3S kit for training. No complaints.
Quote Reply
Re: SLS3 TT Helmet - Info or comments on this aero helmet? [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would like to see a better set of pics all the way around and more color options. 1st thing I noticed though is that the lense looks exactly like a Giro Air Attack lens, which are made by Carl Zeiss and the magnets are really strong. Not a bad looking helmet for $80 though.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like mine. Bought it this summer, and have raced a sprint and an oly with it. It took some modifying to get it acceptable. The straps are a total clusterfuck, doubling back over themselves, and slipping easily in the links. And they give you this big fat padded velcro chin piece, that you are suppose to wrap around the multiple layers of strap and keep them in place... which in my case, ended up looking like a lopsided cheek pad. After fucking around with it for a couple rides, I gave up. My wife is a very skilled seamstress, and I removed all the excess strap material, eliminated the chin pad, adjusted everything perfectly, and then she sewed everything in place, modeled after my Air-attack strap. Perfect, and problem solved. The next problem, is the face shield #1 riding hard on my nose and cheek bones, and #2 the helmet cannot be put on or taken off, with the face shield down. I solved this by taking a heavy duty pair of scissors, and trimming about an inch off the bottom of the face shield. I was surprised how easy this was, and once I cleaned the edged up with sandpaper, it looked factory. Not only did it fit better, and airflow was better, but now I can also put the helmet on, and take it off without removing the face shield. It's light as a feather, fits well, better ventilation than my air-attack, comfortable, and matches my bike (red). I would recommend it, but beware you might have some modifying to do, to get it right for you. It will be my racer for the next bunch of years.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just spend $30-50 more for a Giro Aerohead and get something proven vs something that looks cool yet to my aero eyeball doesn't look all that fast.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: SLS3 TT Helmet - Info or comments on this aero helmet? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's is the kit that is equivalent to the Aerohead in terms of working for 90%+ of people? Kiwami spider?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like a re-badged Cairbull which you can get for about half that.

A few track guys have some of those helmets... they're fine, nothing exciting though. Follow Desert Dude's advice

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: SLS3 TT Helmet - Info or comments on this aero helmet? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
What's is the kit that is equivalent to the Aerohead in terms of working for 90%+ of people? Kiwami spider?

Oh man that's a tough question. I've seen the same suit test as much as 13w different on two people with around the same build. It's all about the fit with a suit. Stretch the sleeves out too much and it's less aero. If the suit is too baggy you get dinged watts.

I recently tested the Roka Gen II, original spider and Kiwami spider 2 & the Huub. The Roka was 1 or 2w faster at 0 but the spider 2 was the same at yaw. Both suits were ~ 5w faster then the 1st generation spider. The Huub didn't fit me very well, should have sized down one. We went with the fit on their size chart. I'd like to thank HUUB for fedexing it from the UK in time for testing. That was a stand up move.

I went with Kiwami bc I've been using Kiwami kits for years, before the original spider came out. Nothing against the Roka suit, just that I have a long relationship w/Andre & Kiwami

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply