Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS
Quote | Reply
I am going to be. racing sprints exclusively for the next couple of years. I have lost some weight and need new race gear.

Is there really a tangible difference between a sleeved suit over a sleeveless suit?

I know it depends on many different factors. But as someone who has more of a weightlifters body style, a lot of the sleeved suits that I have tried on and wore, the sleeves bunch and or roll up. My though is that they can't be that much faster or in fact maybe even slower.

Just looking for peoples though and n1 experience.

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should check out the presentation by Swiss Side...they say that almost always sleeved is faster than sleeveless (of course they are talking about middle distance and up so this may not matter so much for a sprint). If the sleeves roll up you would lose any aero advantage anyway because the bunching would make the wind more turbulent and increase drag, which defeats the purpose of the sleeves in the first place. In that case you would be better off without the sleeves.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleeved is faster IF you can wear it without any wrinkles. Wrinkles absolutely kill your aero efficiency. So if you can’t find a sleeved suit that you can wear without wrinkles, just go with sleeveless.

But before you give up, swimoutlet.com has a pretty large selection of tri-suits and a good return policy. Order a bunch and return the ones that don’t work for you. I’ve had the best luck with Castelli and Louis Garneau. Roka seems like a good one also.

The less expensive brands seem to have tighter fabrics. For example, I have an Orca suit that fits me fine but the fabric doesn’t stretch much, so it’s a pretty tight fit. My LG and Castelli suits fit me like a glove but have a much more give, which makes them more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya Tizzle. I just am not really such that the time difference would be that great over a sprint distance. I will have to go watch the video and do a bunch of math and formulas to determine my watts lost per wrinkle.
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Sleeved is faster IF you can wear it without any wrinkles. Wrinkles absolutely kill your aero efficiency. So if you can’t find a sleeved suit that you can wear without wrinkles, just go with sleeveless.

But before you give up, swimoutlet.com has a pretty large selection of tri-suits and a good return policy. Order a bunch and return the ones that don’t work for you. I’ve had the best luck with Castelli and Louis Garneau. Roka seems like a good one also.

The less expensive brands seem to have tighter fabrics. For example, I have an Orca suit that fits me fine but the fabric doesn’t stretch much, so it’s a pretty tight fit. My LG and Castelli suits fit me like a glove but have a much more give, which makes them more comfortable.

your suggestion of getting a bunch of suits from swimoutlet.com isn't a bad one at all. I have ordered a good amount of stuff from there over the years.
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The above advice also fails to consider there is a swim; the small advantage in biking with a sleeved suit may be lost by swimming with a sleeved suit, and rolling down for swim and up for bike may take too much time for a sprint. I don’t think there is a clear answer, but, for me personally, I go sleeveless for sprints-Kiwami rear zip I believe that to be the fastest swim/bike/run combo for a sprint—it is certainly very fast for the swim.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 9, 19 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go sleeveless. You will be more comfortable on the swim and run for sure. Freedom!
(Sleeves may save 10-15 sec. on the bike)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that a good sleeved tri suit is faster in both the water and on the bike. And by good, I mean one of the mainstream brands. I am particularly fond of the De Soto Flysuits. I am not sure how much the wrinkles may affect you, but I think sleeves is still net positive.

In my experience, if you are racing sprints, then every second counts if AG podium is a priority. So, definitely get a sleeved suit, because the dudes you are trying to beat will be wearing and riding the fastest gear.
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Sleeved is faster IF you can wear it without any wrinkles. Wrinkles absolutely kill your aero efficiency. .

Not entirely true

You will be hard pressed to find a sleeved suit that doesn't wrinkle a little bit. You want to eliminate as many wrinkles as possible and a poor fitting suit over the shoulder/clavicle area can make you slower than no suit.

For 98% of all people well fitting sleeved suit will be faster than sleeveless. That goes for wetsuits and race kit. The question is are you going to roll the dice on sleeveless and that 2% chance?
If you're in the M45-49 I strongly encourage you to roll the dice on the 2%. Anyone else who wants to go fast(er) wear sleeves no matter the distance. It's that simple.

most suits today can be swam in with the sleeves on since I believe I saw some people say they don't do that.

Sleeves from gun to finish line if going as fast as you can is your goal

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really want to have to trim and shave your arm hair?

Not sure what Chewbacca level we're talking here, but a sleeved suit can take care of a ton of that.........wrinkles or not.

You can also judge how well one will work out by how long it takes to get on. To be able to run in it also, you'll have to compromise a little bit for something mean to be able to be stood up in a bit more (think cyclocross sleeved skinsuit).

Whereas, a properly fitted BP 3.3 or an Endura or something is likely to take a few minutes to put on and leave you in the "dysentery" squat pose until you get on your bike. Not sure you wanna run like that.

My BP 3.3 lives up to the name, it literally feels and looks painted on. I'd never run in it, much less try to swim in it.
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 1-piece sleeved Tri suit is a totally different garment from a time trial suit. The fit is neutral, and the sleeves can only go to your elbows. My TT suit is actually more comfortable to run in than my usual running wear. But, I would look like a total dork running a local HM in a Tri suit.
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Are you talking about a wetsuit?

Jim I am talking about trisuit not a wetsuit. My bad I should have made that a little more clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
Sleeved is faster IF you can wear it without any wrinkles. Wrinkles absolutely kill your aero efficiency. .

Not entirely true

You will be hard pressed to find a sleeved suit that doesn't wrinkle a little bit. You want to eliminate as many wrinkles as possible and a poor fitting suit over the shoulder/clavicle area can make you slower than no suit.

For 98% of all people well fitting sleeved suit will be faster than sleeveless. That goes for wetsuits and race kit. The question is are you going to roll the dice on sleeveless and that 2% chance?
If you're in the M45-49 I strongly encourage you to roll the dice on the 2%. Anyone else who wants to go fast(er) wear sleeves no matter the distance. It's that simple.

most suits today can be swam in with the sleeves on since I believe I saw some people say they don't do that.

Sleeves from gun to finish line if going as fast as you can is your goal

I am not in the 45-49 AG so you have no worries there. Plus I am sure you are faster than I am anyways.

I have two suits that are sleeved that I have swam with the sleeves on and haven't had an issue with them. I simply leave the front zipper most of the way down under my wetsuit. If it is a non wetsuit swim, if its a sprint I would just leave it zipped up and rock the swim sleeves and all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for all of your input guys. You have brought up a couple of things that I will look at again and again and again and still probably be at the same place I am now.............

I have a feeling though I will be getting a new sleeved suit, because 5 seconds faster is a way to totally justify all the money spent on this hobby!
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP is asking about tri suits, not wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
A 1-piece sleeved Tri suit is a totally different garment from a time trial suit. The fit is neutral, and the sleeves can only go to your elbows. My TT suit is actually more comfortable to run in than my usual running wear. But, I would look like a total dork running a local HM in a Tri suit.

I totally did a local du in a cheapo tt suit. I cycle, I don’t run. So, fair game if the run/bike ratio is tailored to runners. Even glued my number.

Gotta make up for runners tossing two 16min 5k’s b2b somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not have a wetsuit. Is it still better to go sleeved or should I go sleeveless? This is for 70.3 and olympic distance races.
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do people not swim with sleeves tri suits under their wetsuits?
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably depends on this distance
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?

What is the disadvantage of wearing a sleeved top under a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
I do not have a wetsuit. Is it still better to go sleeved or should I go sleeveless? This is for 70.3 and olympic distance races.

Go sleeved. I'm guessing you're wearing a swimskin? You can easily swim with a sleeved suit under a swimskin.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
But, I would look like a total dork running a local HM in a Tri suit.

You don't wear a faster suit to a race for fear of looking odd?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
MBaier wrote:

Go sleeved. I'm guessing you're wearing a swimskin? You can easily swim with a sleeved suit under a swimskin.

Don't have a swimskin. This will be my first 70.3. I have just swam in my 2 piece sleeveless tri suit previously.
Last edited by: MBaier: Nov 29, 19 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: SLEEVED VS. SLEEVLESS [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More restriction in shoulder and more wear and tear on the suit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next