Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SIS Beta fuel?
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone has tried out SIS Beta fuel yet. Saw a few reviews online but would be interested in hearing from folks here who have used it...
Quote Reply
Re: SIS Beta fuel? [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Beta Fuel for 70.3 Triathlons and think it works pretty well for me, but I do supplement with extra electrolytes, usually in the form of pickle juice shots in transition before/after the bike. I’m not a huge fan of the texture/flavor of Beta Fuel, but I can drink it just fine when I’m working hard. That said, my GI system can only handle it for biking, it makes me nauseous to have it in my stomach when running. So for a 70.3 bike course I’ll usually take 2x 24oz bottles of Beta Fuel out with me and drink them during the first 2 hours, then for the last 45 minutes or so I pickup water from Aid stations and drink that. Then I switch to a small bottle of Gatorade Endurance that I carry with me for the first 3-4 miles of the run, then grab various stuff from aid stations depending on how I feel for the rest of the run.

Overall I mostly drink Gatorade Endurance at various concentrations for training and shorter races, but I do think I feel better towards the end of a long high intensity ride when I’m drinking Beta Fuel. Most of my training rides aren’t really at an intensity and duration that I feel like Beta Fuel would really help, plus its insanely expensive to use for training. I’ll usually only use it for a few key training rides leading up to a race to make sure that my gut is still handling it pretty well.
Quote Reply
Re: SIS Beta fuel? [Sikedsyko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for feedback. I ordered some the other day (got an email for 30% off), will be happy if it works well for bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using it for a few months now ahead of racing - don't have any complaints with it at all.

I would say though, that the packets are quite large and need a good shake to mix it up - put some water in the bottle first, add the beta fuel and then top up.

I'm not a fan of the orange flavour (it doesn't taste of orange!) but the lemon & lime version is good - neither are tangy. I'm hoping SIS start to do a tropical flavour version like they do with the regular energy drinks.
Quote Reply
Re: SIS Beta fuel? [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got it and seriously, the packets are giant. Are you mixing it is as recommended or filling a whole 22oz water bottle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mix it up in a 22oz bottle. Fill the bottle up half way, pour the whole packet in. Shake it, then fill the bottle up the rest of the way and shake again.
Quote Reply
Re: SIS Beta fuel? [Sikedsyko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's nothing new about Beta fuel, 2:1 malto: fructose has been around a while, along with the electrolytes that go with it.

Much cheaper to but malto and fructose in bulk, and your choice of flavour and some sea salt and you can fuel you whole year for a lot less $$$

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: SIS Beta fuel? [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
There's nothing new about Beta fuel, 2:1 malto: fructose has been around a while, along with the electrolytes that go with it.

Much cheaper to but malto and fructose in bulk, and your choice of flavour and some sea salt and you can fuel you whole year for a lot less $$$
This. You can even use SIS electrolyte powder if you like the taste. I think 2 scoops gives you 60g of malto and a little bit less than 30g of fructose
Quote Reply
Re: SIS Beta fuel? [redlude97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general I find SIS too sweet, I've never understood the need to add artificial sweetener to sports drinks, flavours yes, to what is essentially a mix of different sugars.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: SIS Beta fuel? [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
In general I find SIS too sweet, I've never understood the need to add artificial sweetener to sports drinks, flavours yes, to what is essentially a mix of different sugars.
I dunno, i mix it at 2-3X concentration regularly in 1 bottle since I usually only refill with water along the way on a long day. Never had a problem but I also drink soda regularly
Quote Reply