Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SCHOOL ME: Do the foam repair cans work?
Quote | Reply
Yes, serious question.

I had a flat this weekend, and for the second time in a few years, I tried to repair it with the foam can. I used the Effetto Mariposa yesterday, and previously I used the Vittoria a few years ago.

Both times proven ineffective. This means that as I was injecting the foam through the valve, the foam was coming out through the puncture. (To be fair, both times ended up being slashes, about 1/8 inch big, so maybe that's why?

My question is, if I want to pack light, or no repair kit at all, what's the go-to ouch pouch for a road bike? (My tri bike comes with a compartment where I keep that, but not the road bike)

Do I buy these again, or should I stick to pure CO2 + spare tube in the back pocket?

Thanks!

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: SCHOOL ME: Do the foam repair cans work? [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cuts (1/8") were probably too large for the sealant. One of the limitations of sealants is that, while they are great for punctures, they don't work well on even moderate size cuts (including snakebites).

For a flat kit, the main goal is to be able to get home without calling a loved one or an uber. Personally I have a spare tube and a CO2 (plus a lever). That's the bare minimum. I also add some adhesive patches and a micro pump (that way I could cope with multiple punctures or a CO2 misfire), along with a small multitool. All of the above easily fits in a bottle cage pod (my go to), or a midsize saddle bag. The minimal kit (tube + CO2) can fit in a very small saddle bag under the seat.

Example of a bottle cage pod:

Example of a small saddle bag:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: SCHOOL ME: Do the foam repair cans work? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot. I like the "faux bottle" repair kit holder. Seen those before, I may look it up and buy one.

Not a huge fan of the saddle bag, tho. My (very) limited knowledge led me to believe I'd be butchering the CdA of the bike with one of those. But that does not mean it's true, of course.

Safe riding!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can try the approach by fitting the flat kit in any screw-top water bottle. Not quite as elegant as the zip-up pod, but works well, is waterproof, easily moved between cages/bikes/jersey pockets.

IMO it's easier to just put the bottle/keg in a jersey pocket than each of the individual components (tube, pump. CO2, etc.).

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again. I absolutely love that idea. I will do that tomorrow morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't understand the use of a bottle cage (in whatever form) for spare parts and tools. Why would you want to sacrifice hydration for aesthetics? You're not going to race in that setup anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: SCHOOL ME: Do the foam repair cans work? [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomvdS wrote:
Personally I don't understand the use of a bottle cage (in whatever form) for spare parts and tools. Why would you want to sacrifice hydration for aesthetics? You're not going to race in that setup anyway.
Because it allows me to easily swap the same toolkit between 4 bikes, if it’s super hot or I am Strava segment hunting I will use a saddle bag or back pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideas for pumps that fit inside the bottle pod please?
Quote Reply
Re: SCHOOL ME: Do the foam repair cans work? [andrewintown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Specialized mini pump that fits BUT its a pain to use and its easy to damage the the values with. The other mini pump I have relies on a short length of hose and is much better to use but definitely won't fit. I have yet to find a pump that fits and it good to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get a CO2 inflator with an adjustable valve such as the Portland Shiny object. Works great, you can control the output from super slow to max speed no problemo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
commandersnake wrote:
Thanks a lot. I like the "faux bottle" repair kit holder. Seen those before, I may look it up and buy one.

Not a huge fan of the saddle bag, tho. My (very) limited knowledge led me to believe I'd be butchering the CdA of the bike with one of those. But that does not mean it's true, of course.

Safe riding!
A reasonably sized and shaped saddlebag is unlikely to be any worse than a downtube mounted "faux bottle". In fact I suspect most will be better. The area at the top of the seatpost and behind the saddle is going to be pretty turbulent wake anyway. A "faux bottle" in a behind the saddle mount a little higher up than a typical saddle bag might be best, but less tidy and not worth it for the tiny (if any) savings IMO. My road bikes have always used a small saddle bag with a tube, levers, multitool and CO2 and I also have a small pump mounted on the seat tube just above the BB on my road bike. My tri bike has previously had either a saddle bag or a "faux bottle" behind the saddle, depending on the configuration for racing. I've since moved to a "draft box" containing the same kit as the road bike including a very small pump just in case.
I really can't understand the attraction of putting anything in your pockets unless there's no other choice. My pockets get gels, keys, phone and a packable rain/wind jacket if needed. On the tri bike the gels go in the built in bento box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andrewintown wrote:
Ideas for pumps that fit inside the bottle pod please?

Both the Blackburn Airstik and Topeak Microrocket fit. I currently use an airstik...mostly because the pink one was on stupid cheap closeout sale at Amazon when I was looking.

Back in the day I also used an earlier version of the Zefal Air Profil. It fits but has a larger bore diameter and weighs about 25g more. It was only rated to 100psi, which was an issue back when we ran skinny tires....not so much anymore.

Quote Reply