Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SBR in a swimskin?
Quote | Reply
So, I’m scheduled to race SuperLeauge AG in Tempe this spring. For those unfamiliar with the format, it’s (300swim, 5km draft legal bike, 1.6km run) x2.

https://superleaguetriathlon.com/races/age-group/

I could go wire to wire in my Roka swim skin, but am not sure how the skin will hold up on the bike and run. Plus, that sucker is pretty tight. Anyone out there raced in a swim skin? Good idea? Bad idea?

Or, I could just bite the bullet and buy something like Kiwami’s Amphibian. Having never worn one, I’m not sure this would feel any different than the swim skin?

https://www.kiwamitri.com/...a-Trisuit-p/ampp.htm

Input welcome!
Last edited by: GreatScott: Mar 8, 20 20:22
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague: SBR in a swimskin? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just get a trisuit, why ruin a perfectly good swim skin? Lots of companies make good trisuits, and if you get a good fit, you don't lose much at all in the swim vs the skin...
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague: SBR in a swimskin? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Should have mentioned I have a trisuit (LG Course), so that is another option.

Seems the fabric would be very slow in the water, but that swim is also very short. Maybe I’ll take the suit out for a test swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague: SBR in a swimskin? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fabric is only a little part of it, compression is the main component of swimming faster. I have the DeSoto Tri suit, and it tests only 1 second a 100 slower than a swim skin, so for what you are doing it is nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in a swimskin? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have officiated at a SuperLeague Age group race, and can confirm that I did not see a single swimskin... Keep in mind that if you want to stuff your cap and goggles down the front of your suit for speedier transitions to the swim, your swimskin will be too tight, not to mention that it will be uncomfortable to ride in (or run in when the temps start to rise). A good tri suit without too many pockets will serve you just fine... The biggest issue will always be trying to get the blood back to your arms from your legs when you dive in, than it will be a few seconds of drag reduction in a swimskin
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in a swimskin? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, bad idea. Thanks for the insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I could go wire to wire in my Roka swim skin, but am not sure how the skin will hold up on the bike and run. Plus, that sucker is pretty tight. Anyone out there raced in a swim skin? Good idea? Bad idea?

I've done it twice in a Roka swimskin. Not a problem.

First time I was trying to stay on to Micheal Arishita (who competes in the pro division in SL). It was pretty stupid of me because I stayed with him on the bike for approximately two seconds as his flying mount and initial acceleration left 50M back after about 25M on the bike.

The second time my zipper was stubborn and I thought what the heck. I ended up being the overall winner in that race. So totally worth it.

If you are a really good and picky swimmer the amphibian might not work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sound like that would hurt. Swimskins are not made to bike and run in....I'm sure something would rub and not feel too good. Not to mention how much time are you rely saving in a 300m swim with a swimskin? A few seconds? Get a trisuit and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a swimskin on the bike in an olympic because the zipper broke. It wasn't entirely pleasant. I'd rather swim in a tri suit (especially with a short swim).
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in a swimskin? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m more picky than good.

Thoughts on Kiwami’s Spider 2 WS?
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in a swimskin? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't the amphibian work? I raced in one for a couple noon-wetsuit dl tris, and i loved it. I'd like to think I'm a fairly good swimmer and I can be fairly picky.
Quote Reply