Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

S-Works Venge Authenticity
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy a Venge frame and I was able to find a used one in excellent condition. It has a valid serial number and the frame looks legit, but I noticed that inside the bottom bracket there is a sticker with Chinese symbols, attached the picture. So to the Venge owners out there, is this normal?
Last edited by: bigsas: Dec 4, 20 19:03
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works Venge Authenticity [bigsas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The characters say "color match", so it looks like some internal color code. I have a Venge but I never took it apart to be able to see that area. Sorry, that's all I can help with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigsas wrote:
Looking to buy a Venge frame and I was able to find a used one in excellent condition. It has a valid serial number and the frame looks legit, but I noticed that inside the bottom bracket there is a sticker with Chinese symbols, attached the picture. So to the Venge owners out there, is this normal?

Can you take another photo further out so I can see exactly where it is?

I’ll check against mine if you’d like.

But if the serial number is valid, you should be good.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works Venge Authenticity [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the bottom bracket housing, facing forward. I'll try to get another picture tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigsas wrote:
It's in the bottom bracket housing, facing forward. I'll try to get another picture tomorrow.

What happened?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry, got caught up with something...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most frames are built in China or Taiwan these days, so it's not very telling to see that text on the frame.

The bottom bracket looks well constructed. Can you share other pictures of the frame? I find that generally the key differences between authentic frames and fakes are the accessory features, like the headset top caps, and finishing touches, like the frame decals.

Serial numbers are also very important. Most fakes use their own SN system, if any at all. Of course, a quick check with Specialized customer service can help verify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The serial never is usually under the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works Venge Authenticity [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The serial number is valid and everything else looks good. The S-Works logo and decals look legit.
I sent Specialized an email to double check, but haven't heard anything from them in more than a week.
Asked this same question on the FB Venge group and people are saying that it's not uncommon.

Added more photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/dmjt9f7Vh8yqS92q6
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works Venge Authenticity [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Specialized's website For bikes, the serial number is located on a sticker on the underside of your toptube and/or downtube as well as on the underside of your bike, underneath the bottom bracket. Specialized serial numbers typically start with the prefix “WSBC,” “WUD,” “STT,” or “STE.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I'm no expert, I have seen a fake one of these. Yours looks legitimate to my eye (as superficial as my assessment is). I say this based mainly on the accessories, but also the bottom bracket.

- The quality of the BB shell looks excellent, far better than what I've seen (also the carbon inside the frame). The fake BB clearly looks different and doesn't have that raised lip around the BB hole. I could provide a link that I've found of the fakes to show what I mean, but I don't want to post it here (don't want to promote or direct people to buy knockoffs).
- The handlebar dimples (or paint dots) look subtle. The fakes have a much more pronounced look. This suggests to me that it is more likely to be legitimate.
- I can't tell clearly, but the 's-works' logo on the stem should be etched. Yours looks etched from the pics. The fake stems have the logo painted on (clear coat) and it is slightly raised on the stem and doesn't look 'crisp'.
- The stem bolts are dark and the fakes tend to use standard Stainless bolts.
- The headset compression top is definitely Specialized. Not the generic type that would be included with fakes.

So, in my opinion, you got an awesome (and legitimate) frame. I hope it was a great deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s legit. Or mine is a copy. Ha. Bought mine from a specialized dealer so its all good. So is yours.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thank you guys!
Quote Reply