Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

S-Works 7 and achilles issues
Quote | Reply
Just checking if anyone else is having issues with achilles tendon issues since getting the S-works 7 shoes. Note that I'd been using earlier generation shoes for many years, but had on/off issue and a niggle on the left that is being really stubborn and refusing to go. My physio had a look at the shoes and reckons it's the cup heel that is pressing on it. I know that part of the 'features' with this shoe was the revised heel cup that was more grippy.

I've tried a few things to alleviate it, but no luck. Currently I'm trialing using my old 2012 shoes again for a month.
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not. The shift to a much tighter heel cup came with the S-Works 6. I don't think much has changed there, but certainly a lot different from the 2012 variant.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely post. My S-Phyre shoes irritate my left achilles when riding outside. It's fine inside. I can't even wear a wool (thicker) sock because it makes it much worse.

I was considering the SWorks, but now I'm a bit hesitant.

I like Bontrager's 30 day moneyback guarantee, it would have saved me a lot of $$.
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It was the 2012 I shifted from.

And that's not good re the sphyre as that was my potential switch. I've had Shimano Shoes before and the fit works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
And that's not good re the sphyre as that was my potential switch. I've had Shimano Shoes before and the fit works for me.

The S-Phyre was a fantastic feeling shoe for me, it just fit the contours of my feet so well. It disappeared on my foot and felt thin, in a good way. I may try the 902 in the future, they updated the heel cup in the 902, maybe it's better. It's probably going to be a $100 gamble if I try it out, that's about what I lost on the flip of the shoes. (ebay)

I wish more shoe companies had Trek's return policy, walking around in a cycling shoe is not an ideal way to figure out if they fit well. My problem with the Shimanos cropped up outside, at at about the 90 minute mark. It was within a few minutes with thicker socks, but I didn't know it at the time since it was in August.

FWIW: I'm now in a pair of Lake CX238. They don't have a tightly molded heel cup, and don't appear to need one to avoid slippage.
Last edited by: rijndael: Sep 26, 20 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More of a gamble for me, no chance of trying anything on before purchase. I'm a 47/48 and live in New Zealand. So through the retailers here then it's still a case of ordering things in and the long wait for that. Equally, it's a niche thing for resale.

But. I would pay a lot of money to sort this bloody achilles issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your case, I'd consider the Lakes. It's a high quality shoe and is very unlikely to cause you an issue in the heel.
Last edited by: rijndael: Sep 26, 20 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I was considering the SWorks, but now I'm a bit hesitant.

I like Bontrager's 30 day moneyback guarantee, it would have saved me a lot of $$.

From https://support.specialized.com/...cy/equipment-returns

"Specialized offers a one-time 30-day satisfaction guarantee on all Specialized-branded equipment purchased from our online webstore at www.specialized.com."

"This means Specialized-branded equipment purchased in our webstore can be returned and shipped back to us one time for any reason and in any condition within 30 days of receipt of the order for a full refund, excluding shipping and handling."
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it just a tighter heel cup or were the heel side walls raised as well?

I had some 6 and 7 prototypes that i wore once cuz they irritated my achilles and malleolus.

Still in my old 5s.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time rider of sworks road shoes, had same issue with the new heal design. Just $400 paperweights at this point, wish I had taken them back when new, but thought maybe I’d get used to them.
Quote Reply
Re: S-Works 7 and achilles issues [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluto wrote:
Long time rider of sworks road shoes, had same issue with the new heal design. Just $400 paperweights at this point, wish I had taken them back when new, but thought maybe I’d get used to them.

Gah. And now after 18months and nevermind the $500 for the shoes, the blood physio bills dwarf that. Can't believe that it didn't occur to me. Problem is, I swapped to them 2 months before the ironman when to be fair I was in peak training and so everything hurt all the time anyway.... So only since after this years race and covid lockdown meant that I decided to do a full recovery, get rid of all niggles has it given me the chance to rule out all the other more obvious things - running shoes, overuse, tight calf, connected to the plantar fascitis....
Quote Reply