Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You remember the old one was painfully slow in comparison to every other tri specific bike in a wind tunnel test. According to spesh, this one in comparison to "the fastest race set up of our previous shiv" is 1min faster over an ironman. That's right...the new model (cost $13k) will save you 5.33 seconds per 10mile tt over a bike that's already proven to be slow anyway (which it is illegal for) - it is taking the term marginal gains to a whole new level. I was not a fan of the original Shiv, this one just makes no sense. Obviously people will buy it because Spesh tell them to but it cant be for performance reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [piertown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piertown wrote:
Lucy Charles

Not a very good advertisement for your bike when you have an integrated hydration system and then she's sticking a bottle in her rear jersey pocket. That's one downside of the downtube storage, you can't put a water bottle there. I'd never race with a bottle on the downtube but it's a handy option for training. I do like having a hidden compartment in the DT for tube, CO2, etc. As long as the nutrition compartment is easy to pop out, not an issue. Just have a bag in there you can quickly grab, and to keep it from rattling around.

The tube routing doesn't look so bad, don't think it will be a problem. Although cleaning it when using sports drink... would like to know how they're handling that. And how are people so sure they have more than one size of the hydration compartment available, haven't seen anything about that yet? I sure hope no one tries to refill the rear hydration on the fly, yikes, I hope that was a joke. Folks wandering all over the course while they refill their front hydration is bad enough.

I sure hope that funky fork has an aero advantage as otherwise if they went to all that trouble just to get good routing for the tube, that's a big hmmmm. All so you don't have to do a bottle swap every hour or two? And it's so easy to drink out of a BTA bottle while staying in aero, don't get all this Rube Goldberg hydration stuff that so many triathletes are running.

I like the out of the box innovation on this bike but if they only got one minute in 112 miles over the old Shiv... that's not very encouraging.

I could care less about aesthetics but the price, well, that is pretty ugly.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the seat tube has a bottle mount.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
despite James's and Bryan's off-putting comments, this bike is growing on me.

excuse me? which of my comments have been "off putting" to you?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hoff's shiv. You can see angled risers.

Could be Tim Don's but not sure.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Oct 9, 18 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea how log the pros would have had the new bike,wondering how much riding they would have done on them
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

I want the clear version full of M&Ms. But, not just the one compartment - I want it completely filled, with a turn dispenser thingy in the BB.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it still doesn’t look like tilt is available on the cockpit.

Hoff, Charles, and Don all have steeply bent extensions that exit the clamp straight, then rise up. Then, they have angled wedges under the arm rests that independently angle those up.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [piertown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since santa cruz 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so $14k. holy. CRAP.

im interested in this custom case they are selling with it.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
There are P5xs...everywhere.

Everywhere in Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
so $14k. holy. CRAP.

im interested in this custom case they are selling with it.

They seem to have copied Cervelo. Lots of storage, foldable bar, custom case, mono-post, $14K.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
That is ugly. The front is interesting, thanking the lord I went with ARGON. The last shiv was beautiful and made sense, this is just icky.

Amen to that. So glad I got the previous model now that I'm seeing this. Unless this is somehow going to shave minutes off my time over the last design.....
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [JLars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. Not a fan of the aesthetics. But more interested in the #’s of the tests and the true speed as I would set it up. What is the purpose of widening the front forks? Also, is that rear hydration sail thing there really for hydration or does it serve significant purpose of increasing overall aero of the bike? If it’s there for aero functions I’m good with that. I’m not a fan of big hydration reservoirs on bikes. I carry both sports drink and water on long rides and races and I can’t mix those in a reservoir like that. So I still have to carry multiple bottles. So what’s the point... ha- possibly that big tank could reduce the need for a bike special needs bag if we could stuff everything in it! I’m not a fan of the aesthetics but awaiting to see the aero test #’s and the weight of the bike in a normal triathletes setup..
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

excuse me? which of my comments have been "off putting" to you?

I was wondering the same thing? Can people not be excited about a bike? Or can you only be excited about Slowtwitch approved bike?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 9, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Drummon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:
Hmm. Not a fan of the aesthetics. But more interested in the #’s of the tests and the true speed as I would set it up. What is the purpose of widening the front forks? Also, is that rear hydration sail thing there really for hydration or does it serve significant purpose of increasing overall aero of the bike? If it’s there for aero functions I’m good with that.

As per the video, the fork design was chosen for greatest sail effect in crosswinds. And the reservoir was clearly an aero appendage first that was later adapted to carry water. The video mentions that they opted to put water there when it was determined the space was too thin/deep to be of use as any other sort of storage, indicating that it was there before for they knew what they were going to do with the space inside. With that small seat post and all the gap between the seat tube and rear wheel, there has to be a big aerodynamic penalty for running without it. .

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 9, 18 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you launch this, there's no excitement. Aesthetically it's uglier than a rabid squirrel. The aero numbers are whatever since most people are purchasing bikes for aesthetics, which is also why companies are shifting to custom paint jobs that you can order out of the box instead of being stuck with whatever stock crap they got or spending another k to get a vinyal wrap so that you don't screw the warranty.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the cockpit adjustability the frame can fall inline.

As for the hydration, #aeroiseverything.

SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
pretty sure the rear container is for 2L of fluids

Whatever it is, not into it.

Looks like a few ideas cobbled together.

Last Shiv had a flow to it.

The tank at the back looks awful
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that rear storage is called the Specialized BedonkaBox ®
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They mention in the video six athletes already have the bike and will be on it in Kona. I’m guessing:
- Javier Gomez
- Ben Hoffman (not racing, though I bet the video was shot prior to his announcement)
- Tim Don
- Lucy Charles

Who am I missing. The Prince of Bahrain???

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sarah True
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Braden Currie

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
The Hoff's shiv. You can see angled risers.

And the Transition's "Virtue" aero bottle lives on!! :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next