Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
when someone says "Optimized for Kona conditions", I hear "Not very fast in normal conditions".
Visual wind tunnel looks about right. It's basically a giant sail out the back; great lift while tacking and reaching but not great for going straight into the wind.

Would love to see hambini get his mitts on one and stick it in the "real world" wind tunnel protocol.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IME, there were at least 13 watts to take off of a "perfectly optimized" Shiv already. Remove Specialized bars, and install TriRig or Ventus I/II. Remove the internal bladder (that tube was really big) and fish your flat kit down in there. Replace brakes with TriRig Omega SV.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bike optimized for Kona...?????!! I mean seriously, the number of athletes doing Kona who might consider buying this bike is what....at the very most like 100 (and more likely 25-50)....compared to the potential tri bike buying population that number is tiny. What a stupid marketing strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That launch video was cringeworthy. Everyone who spoke seems like an engineer and not a triathlete. The fuselage integration hydration is what had previously drawn me to Specialized, but being told everything was changing when I made my decision after being fit I went with the E119. Happier with this decision.

The foldable aerobars make sense but they also don't. They chose to go with a proprietary cockpit that will be tough to modify for all of the true aero weenies. The placement of the hydro-sale and the length of the drink tube could be an issue and unlike the previous version...will you have to take that to a shop every time you need a new one?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to see how they clean the hydration.

Like this is great and all but seriously, how the hell are you going to clean the tube that routes through the entire thing? Also how do you put it back in?

Also I wonder how much you lose trying to lug 1.5L of hydration and your entire buffet of fuel vs. using on course nutrition. Also wonder if you can fill that bad boy while on the go.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
I was hoping to see how they clean the hydration.

Like this is great and all but seriously, how the hell are you going to clean the tube that routes through the entire thing? Also how do you put it back in?

Also I wonder how much you lose trying to lug 1.5L of hydration and your entire buffet of fuel vs. using on course nutrition. Also wonder if you can fill that bad boy while on the go.

Likely two tubes, one that is removable for cleaning, the other is the guide tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Also I wonder how much you lose trying to lug 1.5L of hydration and your entire buffet of fuel vs. using on course nutrition.

I'm curious. Are you saying that you would start an ironman with less than 1.5l of fluid and not pack all the nutrition you required? Really?
Last edited by: benb: Oct 8, 18 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Also I wonder how much you lose trying to lug 1.5L of hydration and your entire buffet of fuel vs. using on course nutrition./quote]

I'm curious. Are you saying that you would start an ironman with less than 1.5l of fluid and not pack all the nutrition you required? Really?

Just wondering the time saved if you carry less and grab what you need as you go. I think there could be time saved by not having so much weight and potentially training with on course nutrition.

I think it's an interesting design though. I assume it's not gonna be cheap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
Ok I found it.

This is the official launch video.
It seems it not to be public yet but enjoy:

"The bike leg of a triathlon is probably the one cycling discipline where aero truly is everything."

Come on now.

(some Specialized love here).

It is hard to sit through.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 8, 18 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
IME, there were at least 13 watts to take off of a "perfectly optimized" Shiv already. Remove Specialized bars, and install TriRig or Ventus I/II. Remove the internal bladder (that tube was really big) and fish your flat kit down in there. Replace brakes with TriRig Omega SV.

This! Exactly this! The current (now "old") Shiv can be easily cleaned up even for longer 140.6 or 70.3 races.. the way it was configured from the factory was painful with cables hanging out in the wind, etc. I'd love to take my Shiv in IM config and run it against the new disc Shiv in a wind tunnel (and my frame is on the large size for me so I am already giving up some watts due to the frame being to big.) I run one bottle on the back of the set to refill the Xlab bTA aero bottle and when I am done with it I toss it... so no more aero penalty . Water is in the downtube bladder and my flat and other nutrition are in the fuelslage storage box. Nothing it hanging off the bike in the wind. Photo is from Cda70.3 but I run the same setup for a Full, just refill the xlab and bladder from the course.

Last edited by: gregtay: Oct 8, 18 17:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:

Is that supposed to be in pink?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a HAWT bike.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
benb wrote:

No, not at all. 1.5l is only 2 bidons and carrying enough nutrition for 5 hours isn't hard.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome for spez to give us a billboard at the back to advertise sponsors. Ad Space here call 877-808-1234
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:
trail wrote:
benb wrote:

No, not at all. 1.5l is only 2 bidons and carrying enough nutrition for 5 hours isn't hard.

Maybe it isn't all that hard but on a hot race (and damn it seems like I am always choose 90+ degree hot races) I certainly like the ice cold bottle from the aid station 4 hours into the ride vs. the 90+ degree nutrition on my bike.

Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
Today is probably the launch of the new S-Works Shiv Disc 2019.
Official launch site here (eventually):

https://www.specialized.com/new-shiv
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [arkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like UPS is already bought a new Shiv and and sponsored it!

Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Oct 8, 18 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:

Oh, I'm not arguing you could. I take all my calories in liquid since I don't like fussing around. I just have zero problem using a catered race course for liquids, which also isn't hard with a 2 bottle setup.

I don't think one way is necessarily any better. You just seemed shocked that someone would use on course nutrition or regularly grab bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Also wonder if you can fill that bad boy while on the go.

I would think that if that rear luggage compartment had a top similar to the fuel cell - a rubber slit, at least big enough to open to accommodate a water bottle nozzle - you could, reach back, find slit with nozzle, insert nozzle into slit, and squeeze the bottle to refill your pony keg all while still riding, no?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Also I wonder how much you lose trying to lug 1.5L of hydration and your entire buffet of fuel vs. using on course nutrition.

Trying all the new on course gear is half the fun for me in an IM, keeps things fresh. Plus it's free!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One minute?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think about that again for me...

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Shiv also has an ovelanding attachment for training during the off-season.
[/img][/img]
Last edited by: chadm: Oct 8, 18 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your position needs more work than your shiv. looks like the shiv might be the wrong bike for you.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
A bike optimized for Kona...?????!! I mean seriously, the number of athletes doing Kona who might consider buying this bike is what....at the very most like 100 (and more likely 25-50)....compared to the potential tri bike buying population that number is tiny. What a stupid marketing strategy.

Interestingly, many felt the same way about the P5x.

There are P5xs...everywhere.
Quote Reply

Prev Next