Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads-up. I thought that would be standard at even this low price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a question for current owners regarding the fuel cell...

are you able to eliminate all the fluids from the fuel cell? in other words, does the liquid in the hydration "bag" in the rear cell gravity feed with an air gap forming at the top working its way as you lower the level until youre just sucking air, or does the bag collapse as you suck in, leaving some of your hydration / fuel mixture in the bag?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lenny07 wrote:

I don’t have the need for BTA as I only race HIM and the rear fuelcell will be fine for my needs as I am usually off the bike around 2:30. I believe I saw someone offering spacers for BTA bottles to elevate them over the pads if needed, might have been TR but I can’t seem to find it.

https://www.revolverwheels.co.uk/...ono-tribar-arm-rest/

this is the only thing ive seen that sounds like what you're talking about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would work well, its going to allow the rider to get arms elbows as close together as possible and still get a BTA. You would have to get them to or would need to yourself drill holes for it to fit.

Still amazes me with such a well designed aerodynamic bike it was forgotten that a rider creates the most wind resistance and having arms close together is going to be an aerodynamic advantage, yet this bike does not allow that out of the box! Re design this in 2020 please!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my pure guess is the idea of this bikes design was to completely rely on the rear hydration and ditch any sort of BTA.

i personally really like the idea of this as it removes weight from the front end of the bike, but in reality long distance riders need some sort of BTA solution. i could see myself relying solely on the rear hydration for up to a 70.3 (no full distance experience here at all) but i think it was a missed opportunity if they didnt take into account that some will want a BTA. again this is all pure speculation from what yall are saying.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Be aware this bike doesn’t have shifters for the di2 on the handle bars, just the extensions.

What were you basing this off of? Just saw the bike in person and bought it. The non-Shimano shifters do actually have electronic shifting. It appears that specialized added buttons to them afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maarten.claes wrote:
pingu wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
pingu wrote:

Works well! Rode it on IM Barca

How did the Shiv handle on the flat, fast roads of Calella?

Great, me at 65kg avg 230w and 39,5km/h..

I had the "old" shiv last year, this one is stiffer and I think it feels more like my tarmac than my old shiv.
That's fast! I dragged my 69kg body to T2 in 4u45' - 174W 37.5kmh.

I just feel good on the bike and it showed in IM barcelona. Nothing more I can say really as I don't test a bunch of other bikes nor have 20y experience or so. I was retul fitted on my old Shiv and with that data, we've set up the new Shiv so i'd think 'the fit' can be left out of the equation here.

About fueling strategies for a full ironman on the Shiv Disc.. here's how I did it:
* Hydration unit filled with 1.3liters of Maurten 320 + extra Precision Hydration electrolytes: +- 80gram Carbs + 1000mg salts/ per hour for three hours. So for the first three hours, i used the hydration unit + some extra water from the aid stations in my BTA (xlab torpedo).
* One bottle on the downtube filled with 9x liquid gels (Maxim - 28gram carbs 60ml ) and also added PH electrolytes. I dont like to fiddle with pulling out gels, opening it etc.. Again, carbs and electrolytes for like 3 hours (previous ironman bike pb was 5u30). Of course i need to supplement that more with water from aidstations but that went fine.
* Fuel cell: 2x spare gels (just in case I lose my bottle) plus an extra inner tube. Didnt use it.

I think this makes for a clean nutrition setup for Ironman distances if you dont need solid food. It was the first time that my nutrition strategy worked on the bike and that I arrived in T2 relatively fresh despite of the massive PB 4u45' (OK, as a lousy swimmer, i catch *alot* of people on the first lap and I honestly think riding from group to group is sort of 'legal drafting' :-) )

Did see 2x fellow Shiv Disc owners, one guy with a limited edition bike + roval disc wheel and another athlete with a black shiv disc if I recall correctly. Left me wondering what a roval disc wheel would have meant for me on such a fast course ;-) I didnt went for the disc wheel as I didnt have any expectations going into the race injured... saved 2k euro but maybe lost 5' haha

The one with the LTD and 321disc could have been me...
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [rhodes42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhodes42 wrote:

What were you basing this off of? Just saw the bike in person and bought it. The non-Shimano shifters do actually have electronic shifting. It appears that specialized added buttons to them afterwards.

early reports were there were only shifters on the extentions, not on the base bars.

also, pic directly off specialized site has no base bar shifters, only on the extentions.

https://s7d5.scene7.com/...IL_FDSQ?$hybris-hd$}

(i hope that link works)

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [rhodes42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhodes42 wrote:
Just saw the bike in person and bought it. The non-Shimano shifters do actually have electronic shifting. It appears that specialized added buttons to them afterwards.

can you post pics of the setup on your new bike, and would it be possible to post the model number of the di2 junction box? its info i havnt been able to get on the "cheap" shiv. thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
rhodes42 wrote:

early reports were there were only shifters on the extentions, not on the base bars.

also, pic directly off specialized site has no base bar shifters, only on the extentions.

https://s7d5.scene7.com/...IL_FDSQ?$hybris-hd$}

(i hope that link works)

The Shiv Disc Expert DOES have shifting on the basebar. Its just all on the Drive side so you cant see the button in the 3/4 angle picture you see.

The TRP levers have a window that you can remove, and insert a shimano "climbing" satellite shifter to control from the basebar.

The stock configuration only allows you to shift the Rear Derailleur but you can add front if you want to the Non-Drive Side shifter
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
The Shiv Disc Expert DOES have shifting on the basebar. Its just all on the Drive side so you cant see the button in the 3/4 angle picture you see.

The TRP levers have a window that you can remove, and insert a shimano "climbing" satellite shifter to control from the basebar.

The stock configuration only allows you to shift the Rear Derailleur but you can add front if you want to the Non-Drive Side shifter

thanks a lot for that clarification.

what junction box model does the expert use?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Still amazes me with such a well designed aerodynamic bike it was forgotten that a rider creates the most wind resistance and having arms close together is going to be an aerodynamic advantage, yet this bike does not allow that out of the box! Re design this in 2020 please!

Hey Toothengineer, sorry for the delayed response but I've been traveling and took some personal time around the holidays. You bring up some good points about the bike so I wanted to take the time to address them for all to see:

Firstly, thanks for the compliments on the bike, and I assure you that we did not forget about the riders position and how it impacts aerodynamics! I hope you are enjoying yours even with the challenges you've found.

Secondly, let me give some background...We agree that a BTA is critical to an IM nutrition plan. The narrow position was never really intended to be an IM position. The narrowest position was set to allow the left and right armcup to just kiss. In reality, for most people, this is not sustainable for a full IM, but this position could be very aero for a Sprint, Olympic, and maybe a HIM in which the need for a BTA is lower due to the integrated hydration of the fuelcell. For training, where aerodynamics arent a concern you have the ST bosses and the TT bosses.

There ARE some work-arounds however if you REALLY want this position and need a BTA:
  1. BTA Vertical Spacers - this is not a guarantee but can work in some situations - The spacers (with longer bolts) could potentially allow the 3 diameters (Left and Right arm + Bottle) to nest like a Vin diagram
  2. Aftermarket Cups - I know users dont like to hear this, but when there are AM options that can help alleviate this issue
  3. Molded Cockpit - Not a realistic option for most but it can be done
  4. Lateral Offset Spacers - If you run a high hand position, brands like Cinq offer an offset adapter for their cups that can gain ~20mm of clearance or so
  5. Mounting Plate - Threaded plates can be used to fine tune the width https://i0.wp.com/.../2019/10/c.jpg?ssl=1

I have not personally done option 1 or option 2 but I know that some people have. Option 3 is used by 2 of our Pro Athletes (Lucy and Tim). Option 4 is used by Zwift Tri Athlete Levi. Option 5 is used by Zwift Tri Athlete Natia.

For context, I agree arms braced against the bottle are best. But with so many different shapes of fore arms and bottles we cant make it perfect for everyone in the design style we used. A sliding cup was considered but it had impacts on the frontal area we did not want to accept. Having said that, having fit MANY athletes in the tunnel, only 1 had a measurable CdA difference when going from the narrowest position not touching the BTA to the custom solution touching the BTA and that was Natia mentioned above. She is EXTREMELY small individual and her fit was a challenge on many fronts so I consider this an outlier fit. Given her participation in the Zwift Tri Academy though we went full-in to get her as aero as possible. I would not worry to much about the arms not touching the BTA and focus more on how that movement effects your shoulder blades (width & height) and your ability to tuck your neck. You would be surprised how many times wider is faster in the Wintunnel! Consider the solutions above but dont dwell on it!

Now on to some of your "small complaints"

Toothengineer wrote:
-- Small complaints:
1. I wish the bike came with both seat posts, just had to spend more money to get different offset for fit; at this price point give the consumer everything they need and not have to buy more stuff.
2. The arm pads / cups its comes with are super small and its best if you just change them out to bigger ones; I struggle to understand why companies dont make better arm cups and forces the consumer to go to secondary market (general gripe about standard cups that come on new bikes).
3. Different extension options: once again at this price point would be great if you had different options for different degrees of hand rise.

1. I hear ya on this one. I dont really influence this type of decision but the good thing is that we have an option for you! I think most shops do a good job of helping out riders if this is a REAL issue. I know there were some availability issues but I think this is resolved.
  2. We actually spent a lot of time on the arm cup and personally (obviously) I am very happy with them. I agree that not everyone will feel the same, but generally the feedback has been quite positive. Coming from the old cup, other than riders who run the newer high hand position, the general feeling was that the size was good, but they were too flat. More people wanted the locked in feeling of the Shiv TT cups that improved lateral support when turning or riding 1 handed (grabbing a bottle for example). Due to this feedback we developed many sampled and ultimately picked one that is quite high laterally, but low profile for performance and weight. Remember we have to accommodate Toothpick thin arms all the way to Hulk hogan arms so we ended up with high outer lip with a smaller inside lip to give support but offer wide range of comfort. We doubled down and did a dual density foam core (not done by anyone else that I am aware of) to get the softness where wanted it and finished it off with a very aesthetic dimpled cover that increases tackyness with a little moisture for a nice locked in feel. Of course, this is a touch point, and just like a saddle, we wont make everyone happy! We are also aware of the trend of larger arm cups for more support, but we will leave that to personal preference and the aftermarket as its just too individual at our current manufacturing methods.
  3. I fought for this one but ultimately got shot down. We did redesign the extension during development to be able to be run in both directions so you can run a high hand position. This orientation DOES limit your reach adjustment though so it cant be taken advantage of by everyone. As a result, we kept to the industry standard 22.2mm diameter to make sure the customer has options out there. You lose the window when going aftermarket for internal routing but if its what you need, then its what you need.

Toothengineer wrote:
Question: if we put base bar at up or down angle does it effectively make the bar a little less wide / skinner?

Yes it Does. At 0deg the bar is 420mm center-to-center and in the angle position it is ~403mm center-to-center

Most of your issues are highly personal, but they are real, so thanks for sharing. I hope I could help you and others who are interested in the bike. Once you get it dialed in, enjoy the sailing!

PS We will not redesign for 2020 ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
rhodes42 wrote:
Just saw the bike in person and bought it. The non-Shimano shifters do actually have electronic shifting. It appears that specialized added buttons to them afterwards.

can you post pics of the setup on your new bike, and would it be possible to post the model number of the di2 junction box? its info i havnt been able to get on the "cheap" shiv. thanks!

Can do once I take possession.

On that picture you posted, the electronic buttons should be ion the right shifter, hence not in view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
Most of your issues are highly personal, but they are real, so thanks for sharing. I hope I could help you and others who are interested in the bike. Once you get it dialed in, enjoy the sailing!

and every rider is going to have highly personal issues with ANY halo level bike. those that drop the coin on such a bike want it pretty much perfect.

i for one really appreciate your and other specialized reps being here to answer questions. i know your presence here has taught me a lot about the bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is our new arm pad during a first ride of a beta tester in Taiwan.

He rides quite narrow and yes cups do run wide, 123 mm to fit the masses.

Foam is hand cut. Foam Molds being opened as we speak.

https://ibb.co/LJKzxZJ

Joshua
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:

thanks a lot for that clarification.

what junction box model does the expert use?

Hi Damon,

The Shiv Expert Disc uses the same junction boxes as the S-Works model. So you have the EW-RS910 just above the Nutrition Fuelcell in the downtube (Built-in type Junction A) and the SM-JC41 (4-port Junction B) in the nosecone area.

EDIT: Also, here is a photo of the right TRP lever that houses a Climber Switch to control the RD (or however you chose to set it up).

Last edited by: Cam Piper: Jan 10, 20 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Cam Piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam Piper wrote:
Hi Damon,

The Shiv Expert Disc uses the same junction boxes as the S-Works model. So you have the EW-RS910 just above the Nutrition Fuelcell in the downtube (Built-in type Junction A) and the SM-JC41 (4-port Junction B) in the nosecone area.

thanks a lot Cam. That tells me i can pick up an expert model so i get "training wheels", and just get my LBS i buy the shiv through to swap out all the shifters for a DI2 synchro shift setup... correct?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
Cam Piper wrote:

Hi Damon,

thanks a lot Cam. That tells me i can pick up an expert model so i get "training wheels", and just get my LBS i buy the shiv through to swap out all the shifters for a DI2 synchro shift setup... correct?

Depends on what you prefer - you can still set up the stock buttons as SyncroShift without actually having to change any physical parts. This can all be done through the e-Tube software.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Cam Piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam Piper wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

Depends on what you prefer - you can still set up the stock buttons as SyncroShift without actually having to change any physical parts. This can all be done through the e-Tube software.
my current bike has the "new" shimano DI2 shifers... just a single button on the left and right side of the aero and base bar. im used to it so its cool knowing i could swap the buttons out and be ready to roll like im used to.

thanks man!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!im going to buy this bike. Im tall 1,80m and my insane 89cm my sadle is at 80,9 cm from the center of BB. Do you think i need L size? Specialized shiv finder recomend m L size. Thsnks and sorry about my english
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this response.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [igor46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
igor46 wrote:
Hi!im going to buy this bike. Im tall 1,80m and my insane 89cm my sadle is at 80,9 cm from the center of BB. Do you think i need L size? Specialized shiv finder recomend m L size. Thsnks and sorry about my english

Hi igor46

Yes you definitely need a LRG. The max saddle height for a MED is 872mm. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my update with this bike (if I can ever get my shit together will do a video on it all): I am by no means a bike expert and this is just my honest no bias takeaways from this bike.

This is my 7th TT Bike Since 2013: 1st Gen Shiv, Felt IA FRD, 4 trek speed concepts.

First ride on it was this weekend. 75 miles, mild to med winds (cross tail head) all day.

Bike handles very well. Just feels very stable at all speed in all wind conditions. Hit 48-49mph 2x during this ride and Shiv felt incredibly stable.

Was able to fit 2 tubes and 3 co2s into the frame tube with no issues.

Had to do 2 small fit adj while riding to dial in fit both very easy to do.

I still find even with the 15 degree shims and using 51ss extensions very front and is not how I personally would like it (I would also say I am extremely picky and OCD in this regard. With the 51ss pads was able to move the arms closer to where I am actually touching the BTA bottle.

The down tube storage area is a bit cumbersome to reach to, but sure I will get more used to this with time.

I still really dont like how wide that base bar is and wonder how people smaller then me would feel about it. I have not tilted it down yet which as mentioned above should decease the width some.

With current set up and mounting a Garmin I have to turn the BTA bottle backwards as well something I dont like, working on a workaround now.

I was very surprised how good the wheels where in wind, was really not expecting them to be as stable as they where since reviews I had seen seemed mixed. I can't believe I am writing this considering I have been a zipp and Enve junky the past 5 years, but I would say that felt every bit as good in the wind as a pair Enve 7.8 or Zipp 858's.

Overall its a very sexy bike that handles and rides well. Will continue to work on the front end to get it how I want it. I currently have a wattshop extensions system reserved for their next orders.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for that awesome review. its great to hear some more user feedback from the bike.

did you fiddle at all with the rear hydration setup to see how that would work "real life"? or is that one of the features you're going to test down the road?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
thanks for that awesome review. its great to hear some more user feedback from the bike.

did you fiddle at all with the rear hydration setup to see how that would work "real life"? or is that one of the features you're going to test down the road?

No that next up as well. Gone next 2 weekends so will report back in 3 weeks.

Quote Reply

Prev Next