Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
I have not travel with it yet but I have BikeBoxAlan (which I saw Lucy Charles traveling with) similar to scion and I hope there no issues. I’ll keep you posted.

You using the triathlon version or road bike version? Have you packed it in case to see how fit is?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the zero offset seat post will that give a few extra mm can bring seat down? I just got in a size M but with 170 cranks I am still 12mm short of the seat height I need. I can gain 5mm back by switching to 165 cranks. It looks like the zero offset might give me a just a touch more room I can push the seat down to?

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
With the zero offset seat post will that give a few extra mm can bring seat down? I just got in a size M but with 170 cranks I am still 12mm short of the seat height I need. I can gain 5mm back by switching to 165 cranks. It looks like the zero offset might give me a just a touch more room I can push the seat down to?

So with 170 mm cranks you are 12 mm short of the seat height? In that case you will not gain 5 mm back with 165 mm cranks, with that switch you will be 17 mm short of saddle height. If i understand you correct. When you shorten the crank the saddle goes the difference UP

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
See the following Specialized Service Video for how to pack your Shiv Disc for travel!

https://vimeo.com/339456363
Can you tell what boxes the Swift Academy Kona group traveled with? Any success / horror stories to share?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Opposite; think of the crank arm being at bottom of peddle stroke your foot is 5mm higher.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Toothengineer,

Yes, the +25mm Forward Offset post will give you additional clearance to the reservoir - so you should have no problem getting the addition 12mm you need.

As Keith mentioned earlier, the bikes come with the 0mm Offset post. This post looks like a "traditional" rearward offset post, due to the design of the seat tube being offset forward to allow for additional volume in the Fuelcell. This artificially gives the aesthetic of a rear offset. The +25mm Forward offset post puts the saddle rail mount inline with the post, offering additional clearance to the reservoir. These are the only two offset posts available.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Cam Piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cameron much appreciated info!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where can I pull up a manual for this bike? The link online does not work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:

Seems like there are some technical issues on the site - the dropdown is not working for me either. Here is the manual: https://media.specialized.com/...teral/0000139205.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam Piper wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Seems like there are some technical issues on the site - the dropdown is not working for me either. Here is the manual: https://media.specialized.com/...teral/0000139205.pdf

Thank you for the link.

So it seems like with the different seat post it will allow me to just fit onto a medium by just a few mm. This does seems to be a limiting fit factor with the fuel cell, are they plans to say make a smaller fuel cell to give a wider range of fits? I have heard the fuel cell for a size small frame won't work with a size medium frame?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam Piper wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Cameron, do you ahve the same manual for the Shiv TT?

Mine allegedly shipped Friday, and I'd like to do some reading before I tear it apart to make my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Cam Piper wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Thank you for the link.

So it seems like with the different seat post it will allow me to just fit onto a medium by just a few mm. This does seems to be a limiting fit factor with the fuel cell, are they plans to say make a smaller fuel cell to give a wider range of fits? I have heard the fuel cell for a size small frame won't work with a size medium frame?

The 25mm Forward Offset post allows for an additional 30-35mm of clearance (depending on the saddle you're using).

You're correct, the reservoir (the carbon part that holds the Hydration Fuelcell) cannot fit on other frame sizes. They are specific to the frame size you are riding. The machined hole is specific to the frame size.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:
Cam Piper wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:

Cameron, do you ahve the same manual for the Shiv TT?

Mine allegedly shipped Friday, and I'd like to do some reading before I tear it apart to make my own.

Hi RKW, we're excited for these new Shiv TT's to land, as well!

Here are the specific manuals - please PM me if you have any specific questions!

Full Manual: https://media.specialized.com/...teral/0000143663.pdf

Schematic: https://media.specialized.com/...teral/0000143664.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I can't wait to get it out on the road.

Do you know if the first shipment of them actually went out on Friday?
Last edited by: RKW: Dec 3, 19 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Opposite; think of the crank arm being at bottom of peddle stroke your foot is 5mm higher.

Sorry, maybe a language barrier. I thought you meant that you needed an extra of 12 mm of saddle height. So for example you need 72 cm of saddle height and you are now with 170 mm cranks maxed out at 708 mm. When you go to a 165 mm crank you want the saddle to go up to 725 mm.

But as said maybe we meant the same thing ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes we said same thing in opposite way. Lol, we are on same page. This bike has limiting factor in saddle by the fuel cell. Front end of this bike is amazing, love it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Keith! brand new owner of the Shiv Disc myself coming from a 2013 Trek SC. Quick question: Is it possible to drain the fluid after a ride without removing the entire bladder? After a ride, say I have 25% of fluids left, I would have to empty the tank before putting the bike back in my car. Just wondering if there's any elegant way apart from turning bike upside down or drinking it all up? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [melvody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what degree the shims are for the shiv; 10 degree, 15 degree, or 20 degree.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [melvody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
melvody wrote:
Hi Keith! brand new owner of the Shiv Disc myself coming from a 2013 Trek SC. Quick question: Is it possible to drain the fluid after a ride without removing the entire bladder? After a ride, say I have 25% of fluids left, I would have to empty the tank before putting the bike back in my car. Just wondering if there's any elegant way apart from turning bike upside down or drinking it all up? Thanks!

Hey melvody congrats on the new bike!

Honestly, there is no "elegant" way for this situation, but its not a difficult one to manage. If your saddle height allows for it, the fastest way is to remove the bite valve and just remove the bladder (straw and all) from the fuelcell. If your saddle is too close to the fuelcell for this, then I would advise to remove the 2 bolts holding the fuelcell to the frame. Just remember to install your included straw plug prior to pulling through so it doesnt drain (I keep it in the nutrition box when not racing)

The Fuelcell was designed as a race feature, so in reality I expect most people to not use the bladder with fluids for most training situations and use a BTA bottle + downtube bottle....if you're on a really long training ride then the story may be different but then you could end up in your situation, but only if you arent using a bike rack.

I hope this helps
Last edited by: GatorRacer: Dec 9, 19 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Does anyone know what degree the shims are for the shiv; 10 degree, 15 degree, or 20 degree.

10degree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
It also comes with a plug attachment that you can use to easily route thru the bike.

How does this work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent a while messing around with front end starting to dial in position (copying from my Trek). To get the setup optimal for what I want will prob end up doing some kind of custom extension. I am almost maxed on how low I can go with currently only a 5mm spacer, which I might need to taker out, my seat height is going to be with rails sitting basically on hydration cell. My question is: do you know which frame seems to be faster: a frame that got close to zero stack height but almost a frame thats to big or a smaller frame but adding stack height?

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:
It also comes with a plug attachment that you can use to easily route thru the bike.

How does this work?

There is a barb included in the cleaning/routing kit that attaches into the hose after bite valve removal. This item allows for easier re-routing, prevents leaking if the system is still wet, and also prevents pickup of any debris during the servicing process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Spent a while messing around with front end starting to dial in position (copying from my Trek). To get the setup optimal for what I want will prob end up doing some kind of custom extension. I am almost maxed on how low I can go with currently only a 5mm spacer, which I might need to taker out, my seat height is going to be with rails sitting basically on hydration cell. My question is: do you know which frame seems to be faster: a frame that got close to zero stack height but almost a frame thats to big or a smaller frame but adding stack height?

There is not a clear differentiator aerodynamically with a body on board the bike because your body onboard, but generally the larger frame is better due to increased surface area of the reservoir and longer forks blades. In addition you gain fluid capacity. These generally will outweigh the increased frontal area if you assume a yaw distribution. The difference between the 2 frames in stack is ~25mm which isnt something to sweat. The rear and saddle height are much more important when you are a "tweener" size
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at possibly getting Shiv Disc, but I am in between a S and a M. Are there specs on the differences in fluid capacity between the two sizes? I see 1.5L everywhere, but doesn't mention less or more based on size from what I can see.

Also I am guessing handling would be affected by size difference. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride each size before deciding, but I am thinking shorter should handle better, or is that backwards?
Quote Reply

Prev Next