Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [pingu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To those doing full distance on the new shiv, how are you using the fuelsalage? Filling it with concentrated liquid calories that will last the whole race, or just using it for water?

To me the capacity would work well for up to a 70.3 distance race, but i would think anything past that you would be stretching the usefulness of the rear “sail” unless you’re doing concentrated calorie drink.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pingu wrote:
Works well! Rode it on IM Barca

How did the Shiv handle on the flat, fast roads of Calella?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want to sale it?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
according to what specialized has said the roval disc was specifically designed to work with the uci legal shiv, so the tri specific shiv would work well with it, i would imagine.

This is not accurate...The ShivTT was designed around the 321 but the 321 was not designed around the ShivTT.

Actually the Shiv Tri design had more influence on the 321 even though it was launched after
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the clarification.

regardless, it’s pretty apparent the ass end of the shiv tt is just a shiv without the hydration sail. imo, and it’s just a visual based opinion, it was a lazy design move by specialized.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
thanks for the clarification.

regardless, it’s pretty apparent the ass end of the shiv tt is just a shiv without the hydration sail. imo, and it’s just a visual based opinion, it was a lazy design move by specialized.

That is also not true...the TT is UCI legal, has to respect the fit boxes and tube size constraints...the Shiv Tri violates all of these aspects and has much lowered seat stays, provision for the hydration, and the extended beyond axle Seat Stays. The Seat Tube of the Tri is moved forward relative to the BB to make clearance for the reservoir, and the Seat Tube for the TT is in its traditional place. Optically it looks similar, because the offset in the seatpost head disguises this, but its significant.

Lastly, the cutout on the TT is quite different than the Tri...and done for a reason totally different than the Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again thanks for the clarification. i need to personally look at the bikes side by side.

not that i’m in any sort of position to need a shiv tt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey GatorRacer, perhaps you know. I just got my shiv tri S size, and I got it with the seatpost 25 offset. I was hoping to get the zero offset as this would allow to move the saddle more forward and raise the saddle. Can I replace the seatpost?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which build did you get?

Btw red with sram or black with Da

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the frameset only Small size. Black
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
Hey GatorRacer, perhaps you know. I just got my shiv tri S size, and I got it with the seatpost 25 offset. I was hoping to get the zero offset as this would allow to move the saddle more forward and raise the saddle. Can I replace the seatpost?

I highly doubt you have the 25 offset post. The +25 post is aftermarket only and does not come with bikes or modules unless your dealer maybe had one for some reason.

The 0 offset post looks like a negative offset post due to the aforementioned seat tube position that allows for the hydration Fuelcell. The +25 post looks like a traditional 0 offset post with the saddle clamp “eye” nearly inline with the post.

Double check what you have and offer why you want to change posts and I can help.

But to answer your question, YES there are 2 posts and they are interchangeable. Note that these 2 posts can change clearance to the reservoir, and of course your effective ST angle
Last edited by: GatorRacer: Nov 6, 19 22:58
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
pingu wrote:

Great, me at 65kg avg 230w and 39,5km/h..

I had the "old" shiv last year, this one is stiffer and I think it feels more like my tarmac than my old shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pingu wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
pingu wrote:

Great, me at 65kg avg 230w and 39,5km/h..

I had the "old" shiv last year, this one is stiffer and I think it feels more like my tarmac than my old shiv.
That's fast! I dragged my 69kg body to T2 in 4u45' - 174W 37.5kmh.

I just feel good on the bike and it showed in IM barcelona. Nothing more I can say really as I don't test a bunch of other bikes nor have 20y experience or so. I was retul fitted on my old Shiv and with that data, we've set up the new Shiv so i'd think 'the fit' can be left out of the equation here.

About fueling strategies for a full ironman on the Shiv Disc.. here's how I did it:
* Hydration unit filled with 1.3liters of Maurten 320 + extra Precision Hydration electrolytes: +- 80gram Carbs + 1000mg salts/ per hour for three hours. So for the first three hours, i used the hydration unit + some extra water from the aid stations in my BTA (xlab torpedo).
* One bottle on the downtube filled with 9x liquid gels (Maxim - 28gram carbs 60ml ) and also added PH electrolytes. I dont like to fiddle with pulling out gels, opening it etc.. Again, carbs and electrolytes for like 3 hours (previous ironman bike pb was 5u30). Of course i need to supplement that more with water from aidstations but that went fine.
* Fuel cell: 2x spare gels (just in case I lose my bottle) plus an extra inner tube. Didnt use it.

I think this makes for a clean nutrition setup for Ironman distances if you dont need solid food. It was the first time that my nutrition strategy worked on the bike and that I arrived in T2 relatively fresh despite of the massive PB 4u45' (OK, as a lousy swimmer, i catch *alot* of people on the first lap and I honestly think riding from group to group is sort of 'legal drafting' :-) )

Did see 2x fellow Shiv Disc owners, one guy with a limited edition bike + roval disc wheel and another athlete with a black shiv disc if I recall correctly. Left me wondering what a roval disc wheel would have meant for me on such a fast course ;-) I didnt went for the disc wheel as I didnt have any expectations going into the race injured... saved 2k euro but maybe lost 5' haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. So yes I stand corrected. What I need is that aftermarket +25 offset seatpost. And as you mention one of the reasons is also the clear out the reservoir obstructing as I cannot go lower height than 710mm seat to BB. And the second reason is to change the ST angle.
Did you said interchangeable? Can I replace the seatpost I currently have? Please let me know how I can make the replacement.
Last edited by: guillermoD: Nov 7, 19 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats best way to clean tubing and bladder after you put calorie mix in there?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
Thanks for the info. So yes I stand corrected. What I need is that aftermarket +25 offset seatpost. And as you mention one of the reasons is also the clear out the reservoir obstructing as I cannot go lower height than 710mm seat to BB. And the second reason is to change the ST angle.
Did you said interchangeable? Can I replace the seatpost I currently have? Please let me know how I can make the replacement.

Contact your dealer and they can order one for you. There is a cost for the post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:

The bike comes with a cleaning kit that includes a 1meter coil “snake” that has a wire brush head attachment. You can fish this thru with week soapy water to clean out a hydration mix.

It also comes with a plug attachment that you can use to easily route thru the bike.

A little trick is to store the bladder with clean water if you won’t be using it for a few weeks (it months remove it and dry it). Using distilled water for storage is best because every gone water source can contain trace elements that lead to bacteria.

Also, more expensive, but letting carbonated soda water sit in the system can make cleaning easier.

The bladder is design as a “race day” solution, and while it is OK to use daily, of course that can be tedious. This is why the system was designed to have a removable and replaceable bladder. At one point it was consider to make the fuelcell the tank but we decided differently at the expense of a little capacity.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bag are you using for travel with it? I have used a scion in the past, but with the base bar folding down maybe can switch to a hard case?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
What bag are you using for travel with it? I have used a scion in the past, but with the base bar folding down maybe can switch to a hard case?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuoOQHTBsPx/ Looks like she can fit the bike into a hard case. Don't know how much disassembly is needed to fit it in there. Probably depends on size of the bike too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not travel with it yet but I have BikeBoxAlan (which I saw Lucy Charles traveling with) similar to scion and I hope there no issues. I’ll keep you posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel with it to kona in hard case. Did not remove the drinking system. Very easy to pack
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Likeglad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which hard case? Will any hard case work?
Was there anything special about the case that came out with the limited edition?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think almost any hard case will do. You might have to remove the fuel cell if its not a big case.... I got a M and used a b&w
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:

Ask your local homebrewing shop or buddy for some PWB and StarSan, it's how we clean beer lines and nooks and crannies in the brewing process (which, essentially, is also sugary water) that can't be scrubbed directly.

PBW is a cleaner - running it warm through the tubing and letting the bag sit filled with it should dissolve any muck buildup. StarSan is a no-rinse sanitiser, meaning you don't have to wash it out - it's safe to ingest - but will keep anything from growing in there. You can leave it in the tubing and bladder until it's time to fill with your race drink of choice.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Quote Reply

Prev Next