Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome photos of the Shiv here https://www.tririg.com/...Specialized_New_Shiv

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Awesome photos of the Shiv here https://www.tririg.com/...Specialized_New_Shiv
Can't wait to ride it around IM Lanzarote. Not hoping for crosswinds though (nor leaky fuel cells :-) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more I look at the new Shiv, the more I think with some creative paint patterns it could be a very cool looking bike.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My quick first concept....I like the idea of designing the paint to keep the top tube design flat across the fuel cell, elongates the bike, and seems to flow better to me aesthetically....

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it! That looks worlds better. DM that to the Specialized people here in the thread and maybe DM it to Specialized on Instagram/Facebook as well.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!!

I know a few of the guys there and the graphic designer. They do a good job on their own and I’m sure they will have some cool ideas once the actual bikes and non limited version release if we can assume it will eventually.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BryanD wrote:
You drink 2 bottles of water in 30 miles?

You don't?

That's for an average temperature ride. During a hot race I will drink two bottles per hour.

Last IM I did I drank seven bottles of Perform by the halfway point of the bike.

Last 70.3 I did I drank six bottles of water or Gatorade in two and half hours.

Whaaaaa?????? How many stops at the porta-potty?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

I drink a bottle (regular day) or 1.5 bottles (hot day) at every aid station. Pee a little while riding 2-3 times and start the run hydrated!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll drink 1 bottle an hour easy..500ml ~20+ miles
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
BryanD wrote:
You drink 2 bottles of water in 30 miles?

You don't?

That's for an average temperature ride. During a hot race I will drink two bottles per hour.

Last IM I did I drank seven bottles of Perform by the halfway point of the bike.

Last 70.3 I did I drank six bottles of water or Gatorade in two and half hours.

During a 70.3? Zero stops and zero pissing on the bike. I wait until I get back to T2 or start the run.

During an IM, depends on if I feel like stopping to rest for a couple of minutes or if I pee on the bike. Either way... two or three potty breaks.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is clean. Sure would seem like it should test just as fast. Do you have more pics of your slick bike? that's inspirational.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some images of the transport bag which will come with the limited edition:

While the last images is obviously from tririg.com the other three I found on instagram (@velocity_nn)

TBH: If you take out the price for the transport bag and the powermeter you almost end up with the same price tag than the Canyon Speedmax CF SLX. And I don´t know how it is in the rest of the world but in Europe you cannot go to a bike dealer for a fit or anything else with a Canyon or other online-brands. They are not happy to help you with Canyons. Therefor I feel the price of the S-Works is quite fair and it is still cheaper than the P5X or the new Felt IA. After all I actually got used to the new look of the Shiv disc.

I wonder if it is already sold out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
Here are some images of the transport bag which will come with the limited edition:

While the last images is obviously from tririg.com the other three I found on instagram (@velocity_nn)

TBH: If you take out the price for the transport bag and the powermeter you almost end up with the same price tag than the Canyon Speedmax CF SLX. And I don´t know how it is in the rest of the world but in Europe you cannot go to a bike dealer for a fit or anything else with a Canyon or other online-brands. They are not happy to help you with Canyons. Therefor I feel the price of the S-Works is quite fair and it is still cheaper than the P5X or the new Felt IA. After all I actually got used to the new look of the Shiv disc.

I wonder if it is already sold out.

Yeah, that's the reason i managed to pursy... for a complete triathlon bike, it is still expensive but not as 'over the top' as the Felt FRD which sets you back 16k Euro without powermeter or bike case/bag.

My local (belgian) specialized website mentions that it is sold out as of the 17th.

But they'd better starting producing and delivering them as racing seasons starts early May here while their delivery dates are April :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
And I don´t know how it is in the rest of the world but in Europe you cannot go to a bike dealer for a fit or anything else with a Canyon or other online-brands. They are not happy to help you with Canyons.
You don't need to go to a bike dealer for a fit; in the US you can go to a localized fitter. Before I got my Canyon road bike I went to Ero Sports where the fit helped me decide which bike to get and which size. Then once I got it I went back to have it set up just right.

And you can always go to your local bike shop to get something fixed; in times of yelp reviews and social media it's in their best interest to serve the customer. They can make money by fixing your bike whereas they make nothing if you go elsewhere.

And finally - we now also have Velofix which comes to your house to fix your bike by appointment. I haven't used it yet but I can only imagine it being very convenient. Point being that the direct to consumer model has enough support systems for a good customer experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
Therefore I feel the price of the S-Works is quite fair and it is still cheaper than the P5X or the new Felt IA.

You should be more specific. You can get the new Felt IA disc with Ultegra for $6,125. You can get one with eTap for $8,275. You can also get a P5x for $12K. Or you can order framesets for either bike, right now, should you prefer your own powermeter, travel case, or a racing wheelset with a rear disc.

Of course that will presumably change in 6 months. Or a year. Or something. But since you used present tense, I'm holding you to present facts.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 25, 18 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
You should be more specific. You can get the new Felt IA disc with Ultegra for $6,125. You can get one with eTap for $8,275. You can also get a P5x for $12K. Or you can order framesets for either bike, right now, should you prefer your own powermeter, travel case, or a racing wheelset with a rear disc.

Of course that will presumably change in 6 months. Or a year. Or something. But since you used present tense, I'm holding you to present facts.

I think it's pretty clear he was referring to similarly equipped models, not the ones with 105 and aluminum training wheels
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

I think it's pretty clear he was referring to similarly equipped models, not the ones with 105 and aluminum training wheels

Wasn't clear to me. Also, eTap, Ultegra, and HED Jets included in their. I'd call eTap with Jets second to none in group and wheel spec.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inspired by Martini racing cars colors ?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct!! I did a martini shiv on the old nose cone version a while back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been a while.
But I found some nice detail shots from this website:
https://grove-miyamaedaira.com/category_road/4376

Anyone has information when they are going to ship it and if there are any changes to the bike that we saw at WC2019?

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maarten.claes wrote:
I don´t know how it is in the rest of the world but in Europe you cannot go to a bike dealer for a fit or anything else with a Canyon or other online-brands. They are not happy to help you with Canyons.

Really? It's all business to local bike shops. I have taken my Canyon to the LBS for work to be done on it, and I have no doubt I could get a fit done by a store that sells other brands; they're not going to turn me away when they could make £££ (certainly stores with fit franchises like Retul).

If Bike shops only worked on brands they stocked, they'd soon go out of business these days.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
maarten.claes wrote:
I don´t know how it is in the rest of the world but in Europe you cannot go to a bike dealer for a fit or anything else with a Canyon or other online-brands. They are not happy to help you with Canyons.

Really? It's all business to local bike shops. I have taken my Canyon to the LBS for work to be done on it, and I have no doubt I could get a fit done by a store that sells other brands; they're not going to turn me away when they could make £££ (certainly stores with fit franchises like Retul).

If Bike shops only worked on brands they stocked, they'd soon go out of business these days.

That might be different in the US since Canyon is also a quite new brand to that market. But in Europe no one really wants to put hands on a Canyon. And even Canyon would ask you to send the bikes rather back to them in Germany than going to a local dealer.
I think people really should consider this when buying a new bike.
TMO if you really love your sport than you also want to support the people living from the sport like the bike dealers, shops and service centers. I would always prefer to go to my local dealer, have a chat and some insights than ordering everything online. That doesn´t really help the sport to grow at all. Knowing this I can understand why many people start avoiding brands such as Canyon, Poison or Diamond Back as well as I can also understand why regular shops would not support you or repair your bike. Please also consider that the more exclusive your bike gets (Speedmax, Ultimate...) the more unique parts are built in and Retailers such as Canyon and Poison are not distributing these parts to workshops or retailers. Meaning if your unique cockpit breaks for your Canyon who have to send it to them and pay whatever they ask for it.
I would always prefer a prestigious bike from one of the big brands that are pushing the boundaries of our sport and support all of there customers but I can also understand that you might want to go for a Canyon or Poison if you think this is a better price-performance ratio.

As long as we all have fun with the sport that we are loving
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:

+ A long as we get our new shiv delivered well before our first 2019 (spring) events start ? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
That might be different in the US since Canyon is also a quite new brand to that market. But in Europe no one really wants to put hands on a Canyon. And even Canyon would ask you to send the bikes rather back to them in Germany than going to a local dealer.
I think people really should consider this when buying a new bike.
TMO if you really love your sport than you also want to support the people living from the sport like the bike dealers, shops and service centers. I would always prefer to go to my local dealer, have a chat and some insights than ordering everything online. That doesn´t really help the sport to grow at all. Knowing this I can understand why many people start avoiding brands such as Canyon, Poison or Diamond Back as well as I can also understand why regular shops would not support you or repair your bike. Please also consider that the more exclusive your bike gets (Speedmax, Ultimate...) the more unique parts are built in and Retailers such as Canyon and Poison are not distributing these parts to workshops or retailers. Meaning if your unique cockpit breaks for your Canyon who have to send it to them and pay whatever they ask for it.
I would always prefer a prestigious bike from one of the big brands that are pushing the boundaries of our sport and support all of there customers but I can also understand that you might want to go for a Canyon or Poison if you think this is a better price-performance ratio.

I think you may be extrapolating a trend from insufficient data here. I've done a lot of asking around recently as I was concerned about this and I'm looking at a Canyon road bike. None of my contacts has ever had an issue getting a Canyon worked on. I've had responses from people all across the US, Western Europe and Australia (and some significantly farther afield), at a good range of bike price-points and operator tech-competency levels. Yes, really complicated repairs may need the bike sending back to the factory but those are pretty rare and I had exactly the same with my better half's Felt. They wanted it sending back rather than to a dealership.

I agree with wanting to support people who work in the industry, but the people behind Canyon etc. also work in this industry. The amount of bad (and frequently unsolicited) advice I've had from bike shops over the years is pretty astounding and generally skews heavily towards 'you should totally buy this thing that I totally happen to have in stock in approximately the right size'. It's understandable human nature but why should I or anyone else want to support that over someone else who works elsewhere in the industry? I've found bike shops in the US and the Netherlands to be a little better than their British and German counterparts but there's still a whole load of bs sales pitches that masquerade as 'advice'.

As for the 'prestigious bike' part, I do kind of agree in that I really do like a nice shiny big brand bike(!) :-) though everyone has their own preferences here. However, you say that they support all their customers and push the boundaries of the sport. Have you tried getting customer support from Cannondale or Pinarello*? It can be woeful**! Spesh are great... as long as you're in the right country. If you're a customer in a smaller country without its own local opco then good luck! I'd also argue that it's often not just the big names pushing the boundaries. They are the ones with the marketing budgets to shout about the boundaries they ARE pushing but there's a fair bit of innovation coming from smaller or niche brands too. The Boardman TTE was a nightmare bike for so many reasons but it didn't half test well in a tunnel!

* I know it's more of a road bike prestige brand but still...
** but is also sometimes excellent just to be confusing
Quote Reply

Prev Next