Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized customer service confirmed it’s a bladder. Anything else you need me to find out for you?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Why would you put a bladder there if you already have a tank. You need a bladder in a frame. I'm sure Sarah would know how to fill her hydration?

A variety of reasons.

But you could both be wrong. My bet is that it *is* bladder, but it has a one-way valve designed to accept common bidon nozzles for "in flight" refuelling. Sort of like the bite-valves on existing hydration packs, only designed for inflow. And designed to open on pressure from a nozzle rather than biting.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

BryanD wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

I was just thinking of that. The BTA is a must, especially one you can swap out or refill. I suppose the question is if you set the bike up with sufficient hydration and food how does it effect the aerodynamics? That's a question I also have for some of these really wild designs like the Ceepo Phantom, the frame might be super fast but once you strap bottles and bags all over it then what?

Bikes are coming out that are fully integrated and allow you to carry everything you need for an Ironman, and it's not good enough. With the new Shiv, everything is hidden in the frame. What more can you ask for?

Bicycle only drag charts are meaningless because they aren't testing with storage and bottles. Pure frame drag doesn't mean anything once bottles get put on, bentos are attached, and flat kits are placed somewhere.

But you know....people argue all day long about the aerodynamics of a 23 mm or 24mm tire but won't even give a bike the time of day that has everything thought of.

It's hilarious to watch.

What more can we ask for ?

It is nice and elegant to get everything inside the frame.
But the aero result is .... zero
zero gain for.... 14k USD
zero gain comparatively to old Shiv, a not so aero bike...

Take a more basic bike (P2 or P3, mid range IA, ...), with similar wheels, hide one bottle between the arms, one bottle behind the saddle, repair kit in an Aeropouch, bars in a bento behind stem.... and you have the same aero effectiveness, very practical, very adjustable, and UCI legal in some cases, to go on TT. For less than half the price.

Is it hilarious (as you say) to think some people will spend that much money for ... what ?

Personally, I ask for a really efficient and versatile bike for a good price.

What most says here, and I agree, is that this bike doesn't convince us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol no I'm good thanks. Maybe how the hell you fill it then because seems stupid having a bladder when you have a tank?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
Hey All,

I am here to answer some questions about the bike.
  1. The hydration system does come in multiple sizes - There are currently 4 sizes based on the change in top tube height that help put the Fuelcell within the expected saddle adjustment ranges. The system can also be cut-to-fit for a rider that has a unique morphology.
  2. The frame has a permanently installed conduit within the frame that makes bladder removal very easy. You can push or pull the bladder system out with 1-hand. The permanent conduit makes sure you arent battling debris, tools, cabling, etc...while performing this process.

• The photo of the clear frame is not the production system - It is a mockup - The way it was made does not allow for the internal conduit and production lid system, etc...
  3. The rear reservoir is removeable! It is only 2 bolts and it comes off. Of course this feature is a big aero benefit at yaw, so removing it is not recommended but its the riders choice.
  4. BTA, TT and ST mounting points are provided for flexibility in mounting additional storage/nutrition
  5. The front nosecone is removable to allow access to all of the cabling and hydration straw for further ease of use

Come by the SHIV Launch display next to Ceramic Speed by Huggos this week to check it out in person!

Thanks for all the info. But if you are either sponsored by Specialized or directly employed by them you should indicate as much here. Mostly for your own benefit so this apparently "good" information is distinguishable from the pages of speculation.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

That's Keith, he's the lead engineer on the bike (has done a fantastic job) and was on the road to Kona when he wrote to answer some of your questions. Between Cam Piper, Keith, Chris Yu, SuperDave, and me, we'll set some time to connect w the crew on this thread to answer your questions. This bike is a whole new approach aerodynamically in many areas - no single chart or single data point will answer it all definitively.

We're all super excited about this new machine and everything it delivers. It challenges much of the status quo for aero - the ST defines so much of the speed versus everything we as an industry believe the DT has done in the past. The fork is designed to sail - very different than the low frontal area forks of our past (and present). The DT is designed for storage, handling, and weight and have concentrated our surface area where speed is gained most on other areas of the bike.

5 years after the Win Tunnel we've learned that HOW you carry your fuel matters MORE than the differences between most frame modules. We were conservative in saying 1 minute over Kona versus our absolute best configs. Versus the average? Much much more. Over the coming months, we can get more data from the tunnel to answer your specific questions.

Can't wait for the race this weekend! Will be an awesome Kona.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Thanks for all the info. But if you are either sponsored by Specialized or directly employed by them you should indicate as much here. Mostly for your own benefit so this apparently "good" information is distinguishable from the pages of speculation.

Yes I work for specialized. I am here to help.

The hydration system is a carbon fiber reservoir off the back that receives a custom bladder system. This is to allow removal and cleaning. Obviously you do not want to be drinking out of raw carbon!

The lid does pop off. Refilling on the fly is possible but it’s not a function that we claim due to each riders different setups and bike handling skills.

Many of our pros in Kona will be refilling their systems on the fly, but it’s very individual.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
gregtay wrote:
I was curious to see what it looks like without the sail...
loose the disc brakes, and I'd race that.
Wouldn’t they just fall off?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
trail wrote:

The hydration system is a carbon fiber reservoir off the back that receives a custom bladder system. This is to allow removal and cleaning. Obviously you do not want to be drinking out of raw carbon!

The lid does pop off. Refilling on the fly is possible but it’s not a function that we claim due to each riders different setups and bike handling skills.

Many of our pros in Kona will be refilling their systems on the fly, but it’s very individual.
Great to have you here, thanks.

Please can you elaborate on how you fill the bladder on the fly? Is there a nozzle of some such?

Cheers

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about we get the hydration back inside the downtube. That's what attracted me originally when I was replacing my last bike. When I was told everything was changing and to wait until April...I went somewhere else. And boy am I happy!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 9, 18 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Hey guys,

That's Keith, he's the lead engineer on the bike (has done a fantastic job) and was on the road to Kona when he wrote to answer some of your questions. Between Cam Piper, Keith, Chris Yu, SuperDave, and me, we'll set some time to connect w the crew on this thread to answer your questions. This bike is a whole new approach aerodynamically in many areas - no single chart or single data point will answer it all definitively.

We're all super excited about this new machine and everything it delivers. It challenges much of the status quo for aero - the ST defines so much of the speed versus everything we as an industry believe the DT has done in the past. The fork is designed to sail - very different than the low frontal area forks of our past (and present). The DT is designed for storage, handling, and weight and have concentrated our surface area where speed is gained most on other areas of the bike.

5 years after the Win Tunnel we've learned that HOW you carry your fuel matters MORE than the differences between most frame modules. We were conservative in saying 1 minute over Kona versus our absolute best configs. Versus the average? Much much more. Over the coming months, we can get more data from the tunnel to answer your specific questions.

Can't wait for the race this weekend! Will be an awesome Kona.

Mark

Thanks for chiming in Mark. I'm curious, how does the fork affect the handling of the bike? To my eye it appears that about an equal amount of surface area is both ahead of and behind the steering axis so my gut says "neutral" but I'm curious to hear your take. For a flat kit, I assume the idea would be to stash a tube, CO2, etc in a bag and stuff that in the DT under the Fuelsage?

Also.... and this is important... what exactly does your "fastest Shiv" look like? Standard Shiv basebar? Which front brake?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark, how much faster is this new Shiv the bike alone compared to the new Venge?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting bike. Love it or leave it, the most interesting development in bikes is happening in tt. I love the engineering.

Aero:

The claimed aero gains, or lack of, is a bit of a hint in my book:

If it beat the main competators in the wind tunnel, i suspect they would be announcing it with bells on. Instead, what i expect to see is good high yaw performance, but the low yaw stuff will likely be only “good” (so they will need to do as the felt ia did and start winning at kona to help marketing).

I have no doubt it is fast however, but as was touched on before, their selling point will be it’s aero performance with 1.5L water or “ready to ride”. I am sure it is faster than another bike without integrated hydration (but 1.5l of bottles on board). Can’t show that in a wind tunnel as there are too many permutations to compare. The sepecialized may have a hard/complex marketing sell, short of a kona win.

The fork:

i would like to get a better look. The previously mentioned idea that the fork wings may help prep the air for the knees is an interesting one. If it did, the low yaw data with a rider might be impressive, even if the low yaw riderless data was medeocre.

Hydration:

the rear hydration is interesting. It is a very race day ready feature (like tubular tires, great if you have loads of time, or a mechanic). The cleaning and routing must be a bit of work (i stopped using a camel back on mtb for that reason). I also figure that the sucking must be tough, and get a bit tougher once the resevoir gets lower.

I suppose if a rider mounts an empty horizonal bottle cage on the bars... uses the hydration resevoir for the first half the race, then uses bar mounted bottles grabbed from stations for the remainder, it might give an advantage. Mind you, there would only be drinking the old fashined way at that point. And refilling the resevoir on the go would seem hard and or slow.

Obviously, rides where 1.5l water is needed (and nothing extra) would be a sweet spot for the bike. I guess that somes down to how long, how hot, where are the refreshment stations for a specific race.

Storage box:

At first i thought it might be too far away to be convenient, but i think a rider could blindly grab from it in the aero position. Mind you, they could do the same from a top tube box also... . Not sure it would be an advantage, but i guess one would need to try to decide. I figure the top tube would be preferrable.

Discs:

The total drag is down vs the old model (marketing says 1 minute savings, but at what, presumably weighted, yaw angle???), but i will assume that the discs hampered how much better they could make it. And i understand that discs hurt more at high yaw anyway. I would like to see cfd images at different yaw.

One cool thing about discs is that it has appeared to allow the engineers play with different ideas now that they are not anchored to a rim brake design. It is interesting to see the initial design diversity with the disc tr bikes amongst brands before a more formal concensus is achieved (like we see with most aero road bike shapes now... thanks uci!).

Asthetics:

Overall, i am unsure of the asthetics. The big fin is bold, and kind of cool. The fork looks interesting also.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Oct 9, 18 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
trail wrote:

So you are terming it a bladder but it is effectively a liner of the box with the large lid on top of the box as the opening?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check tim don's instagram
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
what exactly does your "fastest Shiv" look like? Standard Shiv basebar? Which front brake?
Yup, it would be great to
know what "clean cable routing" is exactly:
Specialized wrote:
Compared to the fastest 2011 Shiv setup possible (Fuelcell, slammed bars, clean cable routing, BTA bottle), the Shiv Disc is nearly a minute faster over the Kona course.
From
https://specialized.com/new-shiv .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bigger picture proprietary everything with no real option to customize and big repair costs if you break something? Because I understood that the second they showed the fork.

It's an elite bike, meant to be ridden by elites. It's like a car company investing in F1. I know I can't buy their F1 car, but I might enjoy some trickle down to my road-legal model. I appreciate the effort, and look forward to the bits that trickle down to the $5 to $7k range, which means $2k used in four to five years, at which point I might buy one if I haven't yet won the lottery.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Shambolic [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not entertaining any more of this nonsense. It’s a removable bladder with a straw. Move on.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Attempting to refill that on the fly is going to induce a lot of crash replacements frames.

Downtube fuselage was fine, they could have also designed a BTA like front end since there were Specialized Athletes adding the PD integrated unit.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all, tons of good questions here. I will get to as many of them as I can but it will be a bit slow since we are here in Kona answering inquiries on the ground. Also, uploading hi-res while mobile is a bit more tedious on ST.

Anyway, there are 5 major components of the Fuelcell hydration system:
  1. Reservoir - this is the carbon fiber airfoil shaped container that is attached to the Frame
  2. Bladder - this fluid bladder is has an integral lid as well as exitport
  3. Cap - this is the the silicone plug that seals into the bladder's kid
  4. Straw - this tubing is self explanatory and comes in at 150cm and can be cut to liking
  5. Bite Valve - Sef explanatory, but the new valve is 1-way to reduce hydration pull thru effort.

The big confusion on ST i see right now is that the bladder and lid are integral (1pc). The cap is a separate piece that has a tether and is removable while riding. The Lid is attached to the bladder (basically a trim ring that overlaps the reservoir top edge) and is not removable while riding.

To fill on the fly, you can pop off the cap and squirt squirt squirt...Or you can get creative (watch for some custom athlete solutions on Saturday!)

Here below is Tim Don filling on the fly. The cap is off and hanging off the backside (look closely) and the lid is still sitting on the reservoir which is supporting the internal bladder.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another point to clarify is that the one of the pics floating around of Sarah True earlier was actually of a prototype system. Below you can see the 2 versions:

1 was a prototype zip top closure (blue) while we worked on the design of the lid and cap system. This allowed us to test the capacity and drinkability as well as routing of the system, ahead of the injection molded top closure system. The zip closure system is not able to be refilled and was positioned loosely within the reservoir.

The 2nd system is the production system (black) which the athletes are using now. It consists of the integral bladder with lid, and the removable cap with tether as shown. This is whats in the Tim Don picture above.

Here is a picture of the system on the bike, partially pulled up so you can see the interface. You can also see in the Seat Stay area where we enter the frame. There is a permanently bonded conduit to allow the straw to enter and exit the bike free of any restrictions, at all times. This is what allows easy cleaning and routing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for showing pictures! I love the creativity and design that went into this.

Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 9, 18 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Attempting to refill that on the fly is going to induce a lot of crash replacements frames.

Downtube fuselage was fine, they could have also designed a BTA like front end since there were Specialized Athletes adding the PD integrated unit.

Hey StroBro...we agree that downtube nutrition is a good idea. We just determined it to be much more efficient to have the hydration in the rear and the solid nutrition on the downtube so it was more easily reached while in the aero position. Further, the Fuelcell in the DT is removable allowing storage of tubes, co2, and levers below the fuelcell in space that would otherwise be unused.

To make the rear airfoil capable of holding tools, etc...would have not been as aero as Dr. Speed mentioned in the launch video.

Lastly, we do have a BTA solution! There is a custom extension based mount that allows a bottle cage between the arms or a computer mount. This will allow you to take on any course bottle at any aid station just like before. Nutrition needs are very specific, especially at full Iron distance so we wanted to give flexible solutions such as TT rivets, ST rivets, BTA rivets...Fuel On!

If you really want to, you can forget the food and tools and stuff an osprey bladder in there. Send pics so I can show our product manager!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
Drag with a rider on will be competitive at 0 yaw with a P5(x) and will beat it at >15°.

What's "competitive" mean exactly? And >15deg isn't a viable design point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next