Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
That said, only a minute faster than an optimized old Shiv isn’t much given that the old Shiv always seemed to be a ways back in all the other manufacturers drag charts.
This. And it's still fugly, expensive and still a hard NO.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say the fuel cell can be cut to fit based on rider morphology, does this mean it could be custom fit to any height even if it’s not one of the 4 standard sizes. For example, if the rider wanted to cut it to be in line and level with the top tube then this is possible?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
Hey All,

I am here to answer some questions about the bike.
  1. The hydration system does come in multiple sizes - There are currently 4 sizes based on the change in top tube height that help put the Fuelcell within the expected saddle adjustment ranges. The system can also be cut-to-fit for a rider that has a unique morphology.
  2. The frame has a permanently installed conduit within the frame that makes bladder removal very easy. You can push or pull the bladder system out with 1-hand. The permanent conduit makes sure you arent battling debris, tools, cabling, etc...while performing this process.

• The photo of the clear frame is not the production system - It is a mockup - The way it was made does not allow for the internal conduit and production lid system, etc...
  3. The rear reservoir is removeable! It is only 2 bolts and it comes off. Of course this feature is a big aero benefit at yaw, so removing it is not recommended but its the riders choice.
  4. BTA, TT and ST mounting points are provided for flexibility in mounting additional storage/nutrition
  5. The front nosecone is removable to allow access to all of the cabling and hydration straw for further ease of use

Come by the SHIV Launch display next to Ceramic Speed by Huggos this week to check it out in person!

Thanks for all the info!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent analysis Wolf.

Also, It would be great to have a reference how much faster is this new Shiv compared to the new generation of Aero Road bike like the new Venge or S5 Disc. I know it's going to be compare apples to oranges as they have different geometry and applications however as a consumer and amateur cyclist and triathlete I'm not planning to get the new generation bikes with disc brakes that are rated USD+10k each and if we are talking about the same marginal gains between the new Shiv and Venge (2, 3watts) I would just get the new Aero road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the shiv's unique aero features:

The splitter in the back will have some benefits at yaw as mentioned, but also at 0 yaw only from the fact it's cleanly splitting the vortices from the thighs as well as potentially providing some flow reattachment through certain areas of the pedalling cycle. Gains will be greater the narrower your net stance is. Any word on the q-factor?

The fork is a very interesting piece. At 0 yaw there is a benefit from distancing the blades and crown from the wheel due to flow velocity in that area. The blades and nose cone area is a strange looking spot from an interference drag perspective. When you have openings, flow going through them usually increases with speed, compressing until it chokes and a stagnation bubble forms. What happens then is the rest of the fluid goes around that virtual sheild. Not sure at which speed that might happen on the shiv, but it's been designed to acheive that, otherwise we wouldn't have that nose cone shaped this way.

Bikes do not ride themselves so the fact this fork arrangement creates a larger front end is inconsequential to frontal area when you put a rider on the bike, due to the legs. It changes the Cd and that is the interesting part. If you could break it down, you would see the legs are a really important source of drag as a percentage of CdA. And you can't really bend or incline them with the same flexibility as the torso, head and arms to tune for drag (except riding knees in). The wake generated by the fork has an impact on the legs inbound flow, which can have an impact on leg drag. Solving this as a fork-leg-rear wheel/splitter system can lead to lower drag overall. Basically, you use the fork to engineer the flow hitting the leg so you can more efficiently manage the flow that leaves it.

Can't wait to see WT reports on this. I bet drag for the bike alone will be higher than usual at low yaw angles, but that's pointless. Drag with a rider on will be competitive at 0 yaw with a P5(x) and will beat it at >15°.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
No.

It's a bladder system with a straw. The bladder fits into the draft box. It's not an open tank.
Based on the video below it's not a bladder and you could well get piss in there if the top of the tank isn't sealed...
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh how wrong you are. Let me upload a photo

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just going on the Talbot video and Sarah said she can fill it on the fly. Explain that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I'm just going on the Talbot video and Sarah said she can fill it on the fly. Explain that?

You can fill it THROUGH a fly. So, ya know, pee into it....

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She pretty much described how to fill it on the fly and according to her, you just remove the top and squirt away. Plus, the opening seems awfully narrow to try to squeeze a filled bladder through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol really? I suggest you read back through the thread about that picture...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can see the bladder in the video. You don't fill up the box.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Explain the Sarah True video showing off her bike explaining she can flip the top off and fill it on the fly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Explain the plastic bladder you can so easily see in that box.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 1:53 in the video, you can clearly see a plastic bladder. You will not be refilling this on the fly. No one could do that while riding. It's a bladder that holds 2 bottles of fluid with a straw.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
Any word on the q-factor?

I'd imagine it's the OSBB BB, unless they decide to break their recent trend with this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it has a bladder you couldn't fill on the fly. If it had an plastic removable lining with an open top you potentially could fill it. Certainly would be hard to fill on the fly regardless...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think this is? It's a plastic bladder

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very conclusive picture...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? The origins of the clear frame was well understood. Do you honestly think Specilaized wouldn’t show a bladder on their instagram if there wasn’t one? Keep in mind they have a patent on a bladder hydration system.

I don’t understand why this is so difficult....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you put a bladder there if you already have a tank. You need a bladder in a frame. I'm sure Sarah would know how to fill her hydration?

I don't understand why this is so difficult...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll call Specialized on your behalf

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
I was curious to see what it looks like without the sail...
loose the disc brakes, and I'd race that.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol just do it on yours and then pass the info on to Sarah as it could hurt her on race day. Cheers
Quote Reply

Prev Next