Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ruuning with dog in the dark
Quote | Reply
I run with my dog 4-5x a week. Once we get to the trails I let him run off leash. He usually stays within 20 yards of me, he does chase squirrels but comes when called, and we don't have any issues. The next few weeks I will be having to run early in the morning, in the dark, and will have to use a headlamp to see. Any reasons I should stay away from bringing the dog? My main concerns are not being able to see him, and other possible animal encounters at that hour, mainly raccoons. Anyone have experience with this? Am I missing something? I will add He does not run well on the leash, pulls a lot, so would rather not run an extended period of time with him on leash.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ruuning with dog in the dark [bfinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I walk my dog through the woods every night in the dark and run with her in the dark, in the woods during the Winter. Always off leash. She will chase things until called. I've never had issues with raccoons, but this dog got sprayed by a skunk once and the previous dog twice. Additionally, have come up fast on an opossum and had it play opossum, so I had to keep the dog away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we run our dogs all the time in the dark in the woods and fields near us - we bought two collars that light up - constant or blinking and waterproof. Both dogs come back on whistle or command - so mainly for our benefit.

https://www.amazon.com/...ativeASIN=B00UAINMNO

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bfinz wrote:
I run with my dog 4-5x a week. Once we get to the trails I let him run off leash. He usually stays within 20 yards of me, he does chase squirrels but comes when called, and we don't have any issues. The next few weeks I will be having to run early in the morning, in the dark, and will have to use a headlamp to see. Any reasons I should stay away from bringing the dog? My main concerns are not being able to see him, and other possible animal encounters at that hour, mainly raccoons. Anyone have experience with this? Am I missing something? I will add He does not run well on the leash, pulls a lot, so would rather not run an extended period of time with him on leash.

Thanks

I primarily run in the dark and my little Golden Retriever goes with me all the time - I have a harness that she wears that I attach a really bright bike rear light too on flash mode. I just band it on around a thick arm strap behind her neck.

This version - https://www.trekbikes.com/...999/?colorCode=black

I also have a light up collar for her that I think was listed above - I can easily spot her and so can anyone else, the bontrager light is pointed up towards the sky but really lights the area up.

I just wear a head lamp and single bike tail light (inside a reflective safety vest with mesh pocket) myself and I think when even running through neighborhoods we are well setup enough to be safe!
Quote Reply
Re: Ruuning with dog in the dark [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you all mean by trail? Single track, forest, or an MUP?

If single track or forest run trail, whatever. Take em, they'll have a blast.

If it's an MUP, heck no, leash or home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on where you live snakes could be an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruuning with dog in the dark [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If these are public trails, don’t be that guy. No matter how friendly your dog may be to you I don’t want to scare the hell out of him at some ungodly hour before he bites me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a light-up collar. I used one whenever I ran in the dark with my dog (road or trail). You don't say where you live, so it's hard to say what issues you may run into but a light-up collar would be useful in all situations except being a spy and hiding from 5-0.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Ruuning with dog in the dark [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
https://www.noxgear.com/lighthound

worth every penny.

+2. Both my dogs have them. Super visible. The rechargeable battery lasts a long time too.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruuning with dog in the dark [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
If these are public trails, don’t be that guy. No matter how friendly your dog may be to you I don’t want to scare the hell out of him at some ungodly hour before he bites me.

Then do not come to Montana,, nobody has a dog on a leash on trails
Quote Reply