Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Runtraining5 - Some tips for the up and coming season [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still, wouldn't LT running be a lot more specific for a triathlete? I guess vo2max work is just a different way of accomplishing the same thing (ie. raising LT) and would allow you to do more work in less time. Hard to imagine being so time constrained that you needed to do vo2max work instead of LT work though :-)

Yes! You'll notice that I recommend 3-4 months of LT running yet only 1-2 months of V02max.

What you run into is that even though you train to the specifics of the event, you get less and less additional improvement out of a certain type of training the more and more you do it.

For example, lets say that out of shape you can run an OLY 10K in 45 minutes. Lets assume now that you focus alot of effort on LT training (tempo training). Your times might fall like this over 4 months:

45, 42, 40, 39

If, instead you focused on V02max, it might look like this:

45, 41, 41, 41

showing that, yes, given th echoice between the two, LT will win out in the long run. Notice the V02max training gave really big results up front, but then flatlined. This is typically what happens which is why I like to see people save it for the last phase of training. It gives you an extra little boost that might drop your otherwise 39 to a 38.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply

Prev Next