Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running with MD Player
Quote | Reply
To add to all the various threads on portable audio, I just bought a Minidisc player and have a few questions about how real athletes (not "joggers" run with one.

First, what do you carry the unit in? Is there an arm strap that works really well? I use a Fuel Belt on my waist so an arm band would probably work best.

Second, how about earphones? The regular Sony Walkman-style earphones I use with my cheap MP3 player can literally get blown out of place by a moderate wind or just slight movement of the cord. Are earbud-style phones better? I have my eye on these:
[code][url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000092YQW/qid=1066451080/sr=8-1/ref=__1/102-5762716-5094520?v=glance&s=electronics">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000092YQW/qid=1066451080/sr=8-1/ref=__1/102-5762716-5094520?v=glance&s=electronics[url][/code]

For what it's worth, I chose an MD recorder/player with Net MD capability because first of all I'm a live jazz music enthusiast and I have been using Digital Audio Tape for years for recording and trading of live music. That medium is pretty dead these days and MD has almost caught up, so I decided to tape performances with MD instead of DAT. We all end up dumping to our computers, editing, and burning to CDR for trading anyway these days (the next step being direct recording to devices or computers with hard drives). I also like running with music sometimes and like the idea that I can listen to MP3s or other compressed audio on the MD player and can even bring along an extra thin disc to double my selection.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply
Re: Running with MD Player [itchyghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm for Miles Bitches Brew , MR Coltrane, Parker or Monk on the long run. Via MD in the hand. With ear buds hot days. Sony MRD-026 cool days. I think those guys are just to big to fit in a MP3 player;-) Good luck with your new MD.

Dirtball
Quote Reply
Re: Running with MD Player [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, man, great suggestion of [i]Bitches Brew[/i] for a long run!

I've been having fun ripping stuff to my library and dumping it onto MD discs in advance of my upcoming trip to NY for the NYC Marathon (no, I don't listen to music during races). Was too timid to use the MD today on my run. Might try in another day or two.

Interesting suggestion on different headphone types for different weather conditions. Thanks for that, too.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not run with gel in my fuel belt when I train and put my MD player in that pouch. If you put it in at an angle it will stay in. Strap going over the top left corner of the unit. Just make sure you carry enough water on the opposite side to say balanced or it feels funny.

I use the oldschool headphones that go over the top of your head and poke into your ears. They work great for windy conditions and stay in your ears as you bounce up and down. I picked them up at BB for <$10.

I rarely use my MD player when running though. It might stretch out the elastic over time. But I bet for a dollar or two you could buy more and replace it.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my arm band at Tareget when I bought my MD player. They had a promotional deal and it came free with the purchase. Best Buy also sells them. I use it when I run and it works and carries extra MD's. It could be improved by made a little more minimalistic.
Quote Reply