Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running vest for HIM and IM distance
Quote | Reply
Given the USAT and WTC "safe return to racing guidelines" published recently (yes, I read them both), I'm looking at hydration/gear vests for HIM and IM distance racing (and maybe even Oly). I'd like to be fully self-sufficient, if possible; I know ultra-distance runners have been (mostly) doing this for years.

Eons ago, when I was racing XTERRA, I wore a Camelbak MTB pack, but it was just too hot/heavy for longer distances. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for something light, breathable, and easy to maintain (i.e. clean)?

Brands I'm currently researching: Salomon, Osprey, Nathan, Camelbak, Ultimate Direction.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m partial to Ultimate Direction for running vests. I also like UltraSpire products (handheld bottles) but have never tried their vests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of my Salomon S-Lab Sense 5L. I prefer to have the bottle weight on my chest vs bladder on my back. I don't really notice the weight after the first few minutes. Plus it is really easy to refill the bottles.

This one isn't bulky or hot. It is more of a true vest than a backpack like a lot of ultimate direction-type stuff. I've used it in my ultras and long/hot training days as well with no complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the camelbak circuit for marathon training and ended up using it in my race. It holds 1.5 liters and has good pockets for other nutrition. It holds my regular sized iphone perfectly in the zippered pocket. Might not hold a plus sized phone. It's very comfortable and I was able to dial in the fit. The downside to it is it doesn't have very much storage. I can throw my houdini jacket, gloves, and a buff in, but wouldn't be able to put a more substantial jacket in there. That's only been an issue once, when I took it skiing and tried to stuff a down puffy jacket in but couldn't quite make it work.
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks; I tend to run warm, so I'd rather not be drowning in sweat by the time I finish my events. :)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depend how much liquid you want to carry, but i really like the "Orange Mud Quiver", if you are OK with 1.5 liter (1 water bottle + 2 flexible poaches)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used an Osprey Raptor 10 pack for a 100 Mile trail race in the mountains (Bear 100 in Utah) and I have done the new Ironman St. George Bike Course while wearing it. This is the most comfortable pack I have used. It is a Mountain Biking pack so it is perfect for on the bike. However, it also performs excellent on the run, especially when you are going slow as most of us do on IM courses. I highly recommend it.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a lot of vests, I think the current Salomon Advanced Skin 12L is basically perfect. Light, not bouncy, and has amazing huge pockets on front that swallow whatever. Comes with soft flasks, can also take a bladder. There is a 5L version too, although it loses a zip pocket on front. If you prefer lots of small pockets for each gel or whatever, Ultimate Direction is more that philosophy. But yeah, Salomon or UD is where you want to be looking.
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
I have used an Osprey Raptor 10 pack for a 100 Mile trail race in the mountains (Bear 100 in Utah) and I have done the new Ironman St. George Bike Course while wearing it. This is the most comfortable pack I have used. It is a Mountain Biking pack so it is perfect for on the bike. However, it also performs excellent on the run, especially when you are going slow as most of us do on IM courses. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the info; the Raptor 10 looks huge...almost the size of my Osprey hikelite 18 (which I can't imagine wearing while running). No bouncing or shifting?

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of Most of the brands that you mentioned but I have no experience with UD. I would look at Ultraspire and RaidLight as well.

I think the most important factor impacting vest choice would be how much water you want to carry. Most vests are designed to hold two 500ml bottles Up front. Some vests also have space for spare bottles or a large reservoir like a bladder which can be anything from 1 liter to 3 liters. What combination you use here during races will be up to preference.

In terms of other storage, my personal experience is that you can fit a lot of nutrition/calories in a very small amount of space. Other gear shouldn’t be a concern during races because of transition bags, but you may want to consider a larger pack for training and something more medium or minimal for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
I'm a big fan of my Salomon S-Lab Sense 5L. I prefer to have the bottle weight on my chest vs bladder on my back. I don't really notice the weight after the first few minutes. Plus it is really easy to refill the bottles.

This one isn't bulky or hot. It is more of a true vest than a backpack like a lot of ultimate direction-type stuff. I've used it in my ultras and long/hot training days as well with no complaints.

I'll second the Salomon. I use it on all my long runs, and don't really notice that its there. If you use the soft flasks, you can put 2x in the special needs run and you're good for the whole IM. Plus there's enough storage for whatever gels/chews you need.

I'm actually half considering using it during my next IM (irrespective of social distancing measures) since I take most of my calories by liquid (tailwind) on most long training runs anyway and its barely there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
Thanks; I tend to run warm, so I'd rather not be drowning in sweat by the time I finish my events. :)

I drown in sweat just getting out of the car for a run, bike or event. Of course, I do all of that in the Houston area, which has very few days of low humidity - even when it's cold. I imagine there are many here who live in similar places.

I have a friend who moved up to Salem. After they got settled in, his 8 yo son came in one day from playing outside and said, "I don't like playing here. You don't sweat so you don't know how much fun you're having." (kid's say the darnest things)

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Thanks for the info; the Raptor 10 looks huge...almost the size of my Osprey hikelite 18 (which I can't imagine wearing while running). No bouncing or shifting?

It is definitely on the big side, which is why I think if you are running 8:30 pace or better you probably would feel some movement back there. However, the pack fits snugly without rubbing at all and if you are running 10:00 pace or slower for the IM marathon it really should not be a problem at all. Again, for my 100 miler it was awesome and did not rub at all. I was amazed how great it was on the bike as well.

That being said I have not tried smaller Osprey packs but you could try that as well. I would imagine the fit would be similar and sleeker, although you would have less room for nutrition on the bike.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
Given the USAT and WTC "safe return to racing guidelines" published recently (yes, I read them both), I'm looking at hydration/gear vests for HIM and IM distance racing (and maybe even Oly). I'd like to be fully self-sufficient, if possible; I know ultra-distance runners have been (mostly) doing this for years.

Eons ago, when I was racing XTERRA, I wore a Camelbak MTB pack, but it was just too hot/heavy for longer distances. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for something light, breathable, and easy to maintain (i.e. clean)?

Brands I'm currently researching: Salomon, Osprey, Nathan, Camelbak, Ultimate Direction.

A real "ironman" would go with no fluids...

Topical post though... I've been thinking about this since March 1st when I started doing all my long runs with no fluid stops due to COVID concerns.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jun 2, 20 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nathan vaporkrar is super light, holds a bladder in back and collapsible bottles in front (with straws so very easy to drink on the run). pockets for gels, phone, etc. i run in this vest either 4l or 12l all the time. never any chafing issues, and it holds up very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used my Salomon Adv Skin Set 5 in two 50s and really enjoyed it. That said, for road running or long training days, I think the Patagonia Slope Runner 4 is a slightly better pick. To be clear, I think it's designed as a trail running pack and I would pick the Salomon over it for that purpose. I think they accidentally designed a great road running pack, though.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used solomon vest, UD and raidlight for trail running and self supported long runs (35km).

The Solomon vest was good, but the zip corroded and seized very quickly where it got sweated on. This was 10 years ago and they may have changed materials since.

The raidlight is my favourite, has twin bottles on front with straws. And also a space for a bladder. This got me through a 4hour mountain run with liquid to spare. But, there is too much storage in the back for races where you aren't carrying layers, mandatory kit, so would be bouncy. Key here is choosing the size that is fractionally smaller than you need then reducing. Your kit to fit....😁

Finally the UD vest is what I've defaulted to for training runs. Only space for a phone, water and gels. It uses the soft flasks locate as moobs. Now there may be some trick to getting the flasks into the holders whilst running, but I've never cracked it. So I run until I need water, then suck from the flask in the strap for 2 drinks, hoping to not run into a lamp column while gazing at my shoulder. After that I pull the flask out and just hold until empty, and then stuff the empty one back. Repeat on the other side. The raidlight bottles are so much easier but some find the slosh of half empty bottles annoying.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Jun 2, 20 19:59
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no zipper on the Salomon anymore. They're now using a hook and loop system.

The only zipper is really the small pocket type zippers where you'd put your keys or other valuables you don't want in the dump pockets
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the UD Race Vest 4.0 for training runs after losing 6lbs on a 12.4 mile trail run on Memorial Day weekend.

It weighs less than 0.5lbs. It has 2 500ml front soft flasks. There are pockets for a phone, ID, keys and nutrition. 1L is not a lot of fluids, but the salesman runs ultras and never uses a bladder. Realistically how much do you want to carry? At some point, refilling is inevitable and a good idea. I would not want to run with that much extra weight. It going to be uncomfortable and inhibit performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Salomon ADV Skin 5 which I use for my weekly long run, and have used for a couple of trail races. It fits snug, doesn’t bounce, and the soft flasks are pretty good - even if I have to bend my neck over and lift them a little to drink.
With WTC’s new guidelines, I’m considering using it for the run at IM Italy (if it goes ahead). My only concern is leaving pre-made tailwind bottles in it overnight after bag drop off. May come up with a strategy to leave it empty and have 2 x refills in special needs so they’re a little more fresh when I need them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to keep in mind is it matters where you keep your water. I generally find that putting 2x soft flasks on my chest is much easier than a larger bladder on my back, and results in much less sloshing around.

Though this may be a personal preference more than anything based on gender, running style, body shape, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is it matters where you keep your water. I generally find that putting 2x soft flasks on my chest is much easier than a larger bladder on my back, and results in much less sloshing around.

Though this may be a personal preference more than anything based on gender, running style, body shape, etc.

I would agree...I've run with a "no slosh" bladder on my back, and it drove me bonkers. I think I'll definitely be choosing flasks.

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
timbasile wrote:

I would agree...I've run with a "no slosh" bladder on my back, and it drove me bonkers. I think I'll definitely be choosing flasks.

Ultimately that's why I chose my vest with 2 front soft flask. I couldn't see anyway I would run with 5 or more liters even in training. It's not practical or enjoyable carrying that kind of weight. I'd probably over hydrate just to reduce the weight of the pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Running vest for HIM and IM distance [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
for road running or long training days, I think the Patagonia Slope Runner 4 is a slightly better pick. To be clear, I think it's designed as a trail running pack and I would pick the Salomon over it for that purpose. I think they accidentally designed a great road running pack, though.

+1 for the newer Patagonia Slope Runner. I picked one up when the public water fountains were shut off in the early Covid days. It's got soft-bladder bottles that chest mount, which I greatly prefer over the 4-bottle belt I used to use. It's got a pocket that holds at least an iPhone 6/8, and it's got a few stash areas for light layers. It doesn't bounce much, but it does move, so protect your man-nipples even on shorter runs. I don't like vests with rear bladders because you never know how much water you've got left. I haven't done a really hot (over 90) run with it yet, but it was comfortable up to the low 80's.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Osprey duro 1.5
Its a real vest, not backpack; super comfy has lots of adjustability so it does not move and chafe.
Lots of storage area for phone, gels, food, etc.
comes with pretty good bladder in the back that has a flat shape so not a lot of sloshing. I mostly use it with two soft 300ml bottles in the front and on really long runs use front bottles and bladder
Quote Reply

Prev Next