Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running shoes with cushion and drop
Quote | Reply
I’ve been running in Hokas for about six years. Had some knee issues before and they’ve got me back running consistently. I’ve recently developed some Achilles tendinitis so I want to rotate in shoes with some drop, but I don’t want to lose the cushioning. I’m thinking in the 8-10 mm range.

I’m planning to race mostly on trails, but most of my daily runs are on the road. So I’m looking for road and trail recommendations.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philarunner wrote:
I’ve been running in Hokas for about six years. Had some knee issues before and they’ve got me back running consistently. I’ve recently developed some Achilles tendinitis so I want to rotate in shoes with some drop, but I don’t want to lose the cushioning. I’m thinking in the 8-10 mm range.

I’m planning to race mostly on trails, but most of my daily runs are on the road. So I’m looking for road and trail recommendations.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Nike Vomero or Pegasus.

Both are great shoes in their latest iteration. Drop may be more in the 10-12 range, but that should ease the stretch on your achilles.

Three years ago I hadn't run in a Nike for 20 years. Now, I do 90% of my runs in Nike shoes. Amazing how times change.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used heel inserts (sorbothane make one for example) when my Achilles was troubling me more than normal.

I gradually weaned myself off them mainly through only having 2 pairs of inserts and sometimes forgetting to swap them over when I switched shoes. A Hoka with a heel insert is certainly an odd shoe but that's what I had and it worked for me.

One thing that I think helped my Achilles was a BarryP approach to running - I think this meant there was a fairly consistent load on the tendon rather than the up and down of a resting it then trying running again cycle. Now I can do longer runs or a 5k race or whatever because it's gradually improved but getting that consistent, Goldilocks load on the tendon and being patient was what helped get over the worst of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was Hoka soft shoes 100% but since running in the Nike Pegasus Turbo 10mm drop it pains me having to pay so much for shoes but I do it because of how soft and good they are to run in...
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
philarunner wrote:
I’ve been running in Hokas for about six years. Had some knee issues before and they’ve got me back running consistently. I’ve recently developed some Achilles tendinitis so I want to rotate in shoes with some drop, but I don’t want to lose the cushioning. I’m thinking in the 8-10 mm range.

I’m planning to race mostly on trails, but most of my daily runs are on the road. So I’m looking for road and trail recommendations.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Nike Vomero or Pegasus.

Both are great shoes in their latest iteration. Drop may be more in the 10-12 range, but that should ease the stretch on your achilles.

Three years ago I hadn't run in a Nike for 20 years. Now, I do 90% of my runs in Nike shoes. Amazing how times change.

Yes, Nikes are near the top of my list. Hadn’t considered the Vomero, but had been looking at the Pegasus. Do you run in the regular or turbo? Also, any experience with the Epic React Flyknit?
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I was Hoka soft shoes 100% but since running in the Nike Pegasus Turbo 10mm drop it pains me having to pay so much for shoes but I do it because of how soft and good they are to run in...

Was just checking these out. $135 on clearance on Running Warehouse. What Hokas were you running in?
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone running in the NB Fresh Foam 1080v9? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are checking out the Pegasus Turbo not just the Pegasus? I did most of my running in the Claytons but then enjoyed the Cavu more. I have a set of Machs that I don't enjoy as much. I never enjoyed the Clifton and I like the tracer but it is not a soft shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried on the NB 1080 after researching, thinking I was going to get it, but went with the NB Beacon instead. I've previously run in the Hoka Bondi, Mafate and Clifton. The Beacon has a 6mm drop, so 2mm more than the Hokas. I prefer the cushion feel of the Beacon to the Clifton, but they are similar. And the Beacon is only 7.5 oz.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [Johnny21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A second for the NB Beacon. Previously I have been in Newton Gravity and Distance. The Beacon is lighter than the Distance, more cushioning and a little bounce to your stride. They also have a a more natural wider toe box similar to the Newtons. I still like the distance for faster running.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see people recommending the Pegasus 35. For your situation, I do not.

I rotate shoes all the time with a current line-up of Saucony Ride 7 (My fave I save it for race day), NB 880V8 and the Pegasus 35.

The Pegasus is an ounce lighter than the NB and and about 1/2 an ounce lighter than the Saucony. In my opinion, the Pegasus is the lightest, most minimalist shoe of all 3. I can *feel* the ground through the sole. The air chamber makes it responsive and light, but I would think the jump from a Hoka to a Pegasus is a pretty big leap.

Re: your initial question I would recommend the NB 880 V8. They have a drop of 10mm and feel very supportive and comfy. I run sub 6 intervals in them no problem so they are snappy enough for speedwork as well as protective enough to run all day in them. If you want to try a Nike shoe I would steer you towards the Vomero as this is Nike's version of an extra padded trainer.

Are you a neutral runner? If not none of us are recommending good shoes, we've all been giving you neutral daily trainer ideas.

Personally, I have a 4E width so I am limited to a narrow selection of shoes. Because of that I cannot speak to the 1080 but it comes highly reviewed. it's just a more expensive version of the 880. More bells and whistles or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
A second for the NB Beacon. Previously I have been in Newton Gravity and Distance. The Beacon is lighter than the Distance, more cushioning and a little bounce to your stride. They also have a a more natural wider toe box similar to the Newtons. I still like the distance for faster running.

X's 3 for the Beacon.
It's my new "go to" shoe.


"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great shoes. I run daily in them. I have a few pairs and rotate. I run 35-55mpw. 45 years old. Hokas, Altras, etc are no bueno for my calves/achilles. However, your feet will vary. Even certain cushion shoes with drop are a no go for me (such as mizunos).
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adidas Ultra Boost
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:
I see people recommending the Pegasus 35. For your situation, I do not.

I rotate shoes all the time with a current line-up of Saucony Ride 7 (My fave I save it for race day), NB 880V8 and the Pegasus 35.

The Pegasus is an ounce lighter than the NB and and about 1/2 an ounce lighter than the Saucony. In my opinion, the Pegasus is the lightest, most minimalist shoe of all 3. I can *feel* the ground through the sole. The air chamber makes it responsive and light, but I would think the jump from a Hoka to a Pegasus is a pretty big leap.

Re: your initial question I would recommend the NB 880 V8. They have a drop of 10mm and feel very supportive and comfy. I run sub 6 intervals in them no problem so they are snappy enough for speedwork as well as protective enough to run all day in them. If you want to try a Nike shoe I would steer you towards the Vomero as this is Nike's version of an extra padded trainer.

Are you a neutral runner? If not none of us are recommending good shoes, we've all been giving you neutral daily trainer ideas.

Personally, I have a 4E width so I am limited to a narrow selection of shoes. Because of that I cannot speak to the 1080 but it comes highly reviewed. it's just a more expensive version of the 880. More bells and whistles or whatever.

Yes, I am a neutral runner.

Does your opinion re the Pegasus apply to the Pegasus Turbo also?
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only run the Pegasus. The turbo model does not come in 4E.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
You are checking out the Pegasus Turbo not just the Pegasus? I did most of my running in the Claytons but then enjoyed the Cavu more. I have a set of Machs that I don't enjoy as much. I never enjoyed the Clifton and I like the tracer but it is not a soft shoe.

How have the Turbos held up for you? I’m reading some things suggesting they aren’t very durable.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
RLB wrote:
A second for the NB Beacon. Previously I have been in Newton Gravity and Distance. The Beacon is lighter than the Distance, more cushioning and a little bounce to your stride. They also have a a more natural wider toe box similar to the Newtons. I still like the distance for faster running.


X's 3 for the Beacon.
It's my new "go to" shoe.


X4 for the Beacon. In my 11+ years of serious running and 8+ years of triathlon this is the best shoe for both worlds. Super light, with a moderate drop, very cushioned but somewhat responsive. I love them for triathlon because they feel great with elastic laces as well. Another great shoe is Saucony's Freedom ISO. However it is a bit heavier than the Beacon and, at least for me, does not work well with speed laces at all. I would say that the Beacon and the Freedom are adequate for all tri distances but much better for your 70.3's and Ironman distances. I would try the Saucony Kinvara's if you are mostly doing Sprints and Olympics.

As far as trail goes I would say the Saucony Peregrine is a great choice for a cushioned but responsive shoe with a bit of drop.

A final thought on Nike. They make great shoes but, in my experience, their durability is pure crap. They definitely do not hold up to serious wear. So no, no Nike's for me.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Lock_N_Load: Apr 1, 19 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X5 for the NB Beacon and they come in wide. Great shoe. I even use it for 5K races and fast intervals. I hope they don't mess it up when the Beacon 2 drops.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the 35 and something was defective on them and got a pair of 35 turbo last Sept. I have about 200 miles on them and rubber on bottom heel has started to come off. I just got a pair of 1080 v9 last week and ran 5 miles in them, not sure on them. I will give them a few more runs before I make up my mind. Also tried the Hoka bondi 6 but I don't like them so far. If the NB 1080 don't work out I will probably just exchange them for another pair of 35 turbo. I have a wide foot and the new turbo are more roomy in toe box so I can actually wear regular width. Guy at local runner store swears people love the mizuno wave sky 2 but it feels like a tank on the foot when I tried them on. I
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [onboost91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of Beacon lovers here. If I run in the Clifton 1, does the Beacon make sense for me? The difference in drop is 1-2mm. Seems the Beacon would be a great shoe if I wanted to get away from the Clifton. That’s why I was considering the 1080v9. Seems to me more like the Bondi but with drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philarunner wrote:
Lots of Beacon lovers here. If I run in the Clifton 1, does the Beacon make sense for me? The difference in drop is 1-2mm. Seems the Beacon would be a great shoe if I wanted to get away from the Clifton. That’s why I was considering the 1080v9. Seems to me more like the Bondi but with drop.

The Beacon feels a lot like the Clifton 1, however it is more responsive (feels faster) than the Clifton 1. Firmer than the 1080 for sure but closer to the feel of the Clifton.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They certainly aren't a super high mileage shoe. I can't tell you exactly how many km's I've run in my first pair but I am certainly not disappointed. They probably have another few 100km's in them. I guess it is just whether they are for you or not and you won't know until you try a pair. I have no interest in running in another shoe besides my vaporflys to race in. As I said in an earlier post I hate having to pay what I do for them but of all the shoes I have ever run in they are next level to me by a mile. I had never run in a shoe with that much drop and it did change how I run but I believe for the better. I saw the deal at running warehouse and if they had my size I would grab another pair. If you can get a set at that price I would give them a crack.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philarunner wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
philarunner wrote:
I’ve been running in Hokas for about six years. Had some knee issues before and they’ve got me back running consistently. I’ve recently developed some Achilles tendinitis so I want to rotate in shoes with some drop, but I don’t want to lose the cushioning. I’m thinking in the 8-10 mm range.

I’m planning to race mostly on trails, but most of my daily runs are on the road. So I’m looking for road and trail recommendations.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Nike Vomero or Pegasus.

Both are great shoes in their latest iteration. Drop may be more in the 10-12 range, but that should ease the stretch on your achilles.

Three years ago I hadn't run in a Nike for 20 years. Now, I do 90% of my runs in Nike shoes. Amazing how times change.

Yes, Nikes are near the top of my list. Hadn’t considered the Vomero, but had been looking at the Pegasus. Do you run in the regular or turbo? Also, any experience with the Epic React Flyknit?

The Epic React Flyknit is my current favorite shoe. They are fantastic and I look forward to every run in them. I did a fast 8.5 in them tonight. They have amazing “bounce”. I have recommended them to multiple people and I haven’t had one person not love this shoe. Last years version is for sale now at running warehouse if you are interested.

I have not run in the Pegasus Turbo, only the standard Pegasus. I’m generally a cheapskate so I wait for shoes to go I sale and the Turbo hasn’t done that yet (at least that I have found).

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes with cushion and drop [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
philarunner wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
philarunner wrote:
I’ve been running in Hokas for about six years. Had some knee issues before and they’ve got me back running consistently. I’ve recently developed some Achilles tendinitis so I want to rotate in shoes with some drop, but I don’t want to lose the cushioning. I’m thinking in the 8-10 mm range.

I’m planning to race mostly on trails, but most of my daily runs are on the road. So I’m looking for road and trail recommendations.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Nike Vomero or Pegasus.

Both are great shoes in their latest iteration. Drop may be more in the 10-12 range, but that should ease the stretch on your achilles.

Three years ago I hadn't run in a Nike for 20 years. Now, I do 90% of my runs in Nike shoes. Amazing how times change.

Yes, Nikes are near the top of my list. Hadn’t considered the Vomero, but had been looking at the Pegasus. Do you run in the regular or turbo? Also, any experience with the Epic React Flyknit?

The Epic React Flyknit is my current favorite shoe. They are fantastic and I look forward to every run in them. I did a fast 8.5 in them tonight. They have amazing “bounce”. I have recommended them to multiple people and I haven’t had one person not love this shoe. Last years version is for sale now at running warehouse if you are interested.

I have not run in the Pegasus Turbo, only the standard Pegasus. I’m generally a cheapskate so I wait for shoes to go I sale and the Turbo hasn’t done that yet (at least that I have found).

How is the durability of the Epic React Flyknit? Also, are you running in the React 2 or the original? There’s a $10 difference for some of the colors on Running Warehouse.
Quote Reply

Prev Next