Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running race pace
Quote | Reply
Two questions here: I’m planning to build in some race pace efforts at the end of my longer runs to make sure I keep some speed in my legs. Question - training for a 70.3 should these be my standalone Half Marathon pace, or my 70.3 Half Marathon run pace?
This comes to my second question, how much is typically the difference between the two? I’ve only done one 70.3 and there was quite a difference (2:05 compared to 1:37).
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Running race pace [JonDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JonDW wrote:
Two questions here: I’m planning to build in some race pace efforts at the end of my longer runs to make sure I keep some speed in my legs. Question - training for a 70.3 should these be my standalone Half Marathon pace, or my 70.3 Half Marathon run pace?
This comes to my second question, how much is typically the difference between the two? I’ve only done one 70.3 and there was quite a difference (2:05 compared to 1:37).
Thx

Serious question: Isn’t a lot of your running already done at faster-than-70.3 race pace?
Quote Reply
Re: Running race pace [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
JonDW wrote:
Thx

Serious question: Isn’t a lot of your running already done at faster-than-70.3 race pace

Not the OP, but you usually don’t a ton of training faster than 70.3 race pace unless you don’t have a lot of run volume.

To the OP, when I focus on the 70.3 distance I try to do 3x2-3 miles at 70.3 goal race pace in my Sunday long runs. I also do some speedwork on Wednesday on my treadmill - maybe a total of 5-6 miles at or quicker than goal race pace. Those two runs are the only ones of the week where I run at or faster than race pace, and that’s a grand total of at most 15 miles a week at that pace, and that would be averaging around 40-45 miles per week.

To your other question, the best runners generally have a pretty small time difference (3-5 min) between an open half and a 70.3 run. I was around 6 min this past year (1:21 vs 1:27). Another big component in triathlon is a properly paced bike. If you over bike by even a bit in a 70.3 you’ll loose more time on the run than you gain on the bike. I generally aim for 80-82% on the bike, and that seems to translate into the ability to have a decent run for me. Having a power meter and biking within your ability should translate to not having a big discrepancy in HM and 70.3 run times.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Running race pace [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas,

Maybe I misinterpreted the question. You run like I did as a younger man (1:19) and so I understand that you have to pick and choose the workouts in which you run faster than 6:00 to 6:10 per mile. But the OP can run at 7:24 pace for a HM and ran 9:32 pace in a 70.3.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything. My point was that he likely runs faster than 9:32 for just about every run he does in training. I guess I would be interested to know what pace he is intending to run, how many miles per week he's running, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks both. At the moment, I’m base, I’m running to power but this is typically 8:30-9:00min/mile for an easy endurance run. I will, in build and speciality (I’m using TrainerRoad and this is there terms) introduce Threshold and VO2 Max. You’re right to say though that I will (always) be running faster than my 70.3 race pace, though to Nates point, I need to bring my 70.3 pace closer to my open HM. I thought I had paced the bike, but clearly not well enough. There’s a smaller gap on my Olympic runs.

Thanks for taking the time to share thoughts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
JonDW wrote:
Thx

Serious question: Isn’t a lot of your running already done at faster-than-70.3 race pace?

I am not the OP... but I would say absolutely NOT. My 70.3 race pace is my open marathon pace (or thereabouts). Would you run marathon pace for "a lot of your running"? I sure wouldn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Running race pace [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not the OP... but I would say absolutely NOT. My 70.3 race pace is my open marathon pace (or thereabouts). Would you run marathon pace for "a lot of your running"? I sure wouldn't. //

That would all depend on your weekly mileage averages. If you are a low mileage person(I certainly was) then yes, most of your runs would be at marathon pace, or faster.(after warm ups) But if you are a higher mileage triathlete, 45+ mpw, then a few less at that pace. But for sure that would be a nice hard tempo pace that you would do quite often, and even some full runs under 10k too...
Quote Reply
Re: Running race pace [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
JonDW wrote:
Thx

I am not the OP... but I would say absolutely NOT. My 70.3 race pace is my open marathon pace (or thereabouts). Would you run marathon pace for "a lot of your running"? I sure wouldn't.

Read his response to me. He confirmed that he is always running faster than his 70.3 pace.

The issue for the OP is the significant gap between his HM pace and 70.3 pace. That makes his training goals different than yours or mine, I suppose.

My bet is that the OP just needs to do more 70.3s to get the experience of coming off the bike and setting a manageable pace more quickly. Probably will improve the run through his nutrition plan as well. I bet he runs 1:4x just from the learning curve.
Quote Reply
Re: Running race pace [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
JonDW wrote:
Thx

Serious question: Isn’t a lot of your running already done at faster-than-70.3 race pace

Not the OP, but you usually don’t a ton of training faster than 70.3 race pace unless you don’t have a lot of run volume.

To the OP, when I focus on the 70.3 distance I try to do 3x2-3 miles at 70.3 goal race pace in my Sunday long runs. I also do some speedwork on Wednesday on my treadmill - maybe a total of 5-6 miles at or quicker than goal race pace. Those two runs are the only ones of the week where I run at or faster than race pace, and that’s a grand total of at most 15 miles a week at that pace, and that would be averaging around 40-45 miles per week.

To your other question, the best runners generally have a pretty small time difference (3-5 min) between an open half and a 70.3 run. I was around 6 min this past year (1:21 vs 1:27). Another big component in triathlon is a properly paced bike. If you over bike by even a bit in a 70.3 you’ll loose more time on the run than you gain on the bike. I generally aim for 80-82% on the bike, and that seems to translate into the ability to have a decent run for me. Having a power meter and biking within your ability should translate to not having a big discrepancy in HM and 70.3 run times.

80 - 82% of what?
Quote Reply
Re: Running race pace [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
80-82% of FTP.

The fitter you are the higher you can push this. A beginner with low mileage might only be able to do 65-70% FTP without overbiking and suffering on the run.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply