Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running on prednisone
Quote | Reply
I’ve been battling a sinus infection and had to get on antibiotics and prednisone this past week. I’m at the last two days of meds and finally went back to training this morning. I did a ten mile treadmill run and felt like Jan Frodeno running down the tarmac! For a second I thought my heart might just explode. It was actually really hard to catch my breath and get into a rhythm, but it felt like I could go forever. Has anyone had a similar experience? Hopefully I won’t be so doped to the gills tomorrow morning on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate the feeling of that shite. Makes my heart absolutely race.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woke up at midnight, rolled out of bed at 3:45am (waiting for the clock to hit 4am), drank a cup of coffee (wasn’t a great idea), ate a bowl of oatmeal, and left for the gym. I’m going to have to get some sleep tonight 😴
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you training on Antibiotics and Prednisolone? That is just stupid. Give your body some rest and let it deal with your infection instead of wrecking your immune system with a 10mile run. Sometimes I am wondering what is wrong with triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple years ago I was put on prednisone because I had poison ivy in my eyes. Went for my yearly birthday ride a couple of days after starting to take it. 72 hilly miles felt pretty easy . . . My hands, neck and back usually get pretty sore on longer rides, this time was virtually pain free. Pretty potent stuff indeed!
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can see why those bulky Williams sisters take it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [bentus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re right it’s not particularly smart. I had a 7 day dose and I’m on Day 6. It would have been a good idea to just rest.

bentus wrote:
Why are you training on Antibiotics and Prednisolone? That is just stupid. Give your body some rest and let it deal with your infection instead of wrecking your immune system with a 10mile run. Sometimes I am wondering what is wrong with triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took Pred for 2 weeks when I had a poison ivy skin rash. Pred made me EAT constantly, all the damn time. I put on 20 pounds.

As for antibiotics.....I'm not a good example, as I have had and use Zithro, Cipro, and Biaxin on a regular basis, ie: when i feel the sniffles coming on, depending on what symptoms I have. Yes, I know what people say about my useage.....but it is what works for me.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my experience was similar - it's great, running while doped !
ha

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you don't race any time soon, that shit stays in your system for months, just ask Henri Schoeman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I’ve been battling a sinus infection and had to get on antibiotics and prednisone this past week. I’m at the last two days of meds and finally went back to training this morning. I did a ten mile treadmill run and felt like Jan Frodeno running down the tarmac! For a second I thought my heart might just explode. It was actually really hard to catch my breath and get into a rhythm, but it felt like I could go forever. Has anyone had a similar experience? Hopefully I won’t be so doped to the gills tomorrow morning on the trainer.

A less reactionary answer.

What dose are you on?
I suspect it might be quite high ( >40mg/day) in which case, aside from being ill, it's probably best not train on it.

Plenty of people are on lower long term doses (I was on 20mg/day for around 6months-year (I can't remember when my dose was decreased to 10mg, but I was on Pred for 2 1/2 years in total)) and train fine with it.
FWIW 20mg gave me a massive performance boost until I got sick. Which I did every couple of months because of my illness, so overall it made no difference to my performance! 10mg made little to no difference.

Thinking it through the heart/breath stuff is almost certainly because you are ill. The increased energy because of the Pred.

Don't eat too much ;-)
Last edited by: tuckandgo: Feb 14, 19 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m on 10mg once a day for 7
days, so the lowest dose. You’re probably right about the breathing because I noticed I was still congested last night and was pretty wrecked after a long day. I went to be at 7pm last night, woke up and had perhaps the best hour long trainer ride of my life. Today is my last dose.

I’m not racing any time soon, but I’m wondering how long
that dosing would stay in my system? It’s as low and short of a dose as there would be, but it makes me wonder?

tuckandgo wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

A less reactionary answer.

What dose are you on?
I suspect it might be quite high ( >40mg/day) in which case, aside from being ill, it's probably best not train on it.

Plenty of people are on lower long term doses (I was on 20mg/day for around 6months-year (I can't remember when my dose was decreased to 10mg, but I was on Pred for 2 1/2 years in total)) and train fine with it.
FWIW 20mg gave me a massive performance boost until I got sick. Which I did every couple of months because of my illness, so overall it made no difference to my performance! 10mg made little to no difference.

Thinking it through the heart/breath stuff is almost certainly because you are ill. The increased energy because of the Pred.

Don't eat too much ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a tiny dose for a week long course, so I really wouldn't worry.

Have to be honest I have no idea about how long it stays in your system but given that you start getting withdrawl from long term use within 12-24hours of your expected dose I wouldn't think too long.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s reassuring. Inexplicably, I haven’t signed up for any races in 2019 yet, but I don’t want to show up and pop hot when I do go a race.

tuckandgo wrote:
That's a tiny dose for a week long course, so I really wouldn't worry.

Have to be honest I have no idea about how long it stays in your system but given that you start getting withdrawl from long term use within 12-24hours of your expected dose I wouldn't think too long.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Make sure you don't race any time soon, that shit stays in your system for months, just ask Henri Schoeman.
That was supposed to be pink right?

Just in case it wasn't, the half life of prednisone is very short and it out of your system within a day. That's why you have to taper off it carefully after long-term prescription, and should taper even on short term.

To the OP's post, I have had to be on prednisone for extended periods of time, twice, until I got the right medical diagnosis for what was actually going on. After a few days, the stuff makes you feel like superman. Every ache and pain that bothered you previously magically disappears. You get prednisone-induced insomnia yet still manage to function like a champ on 4 hours of sleep. You also get seriously pissed off at the littlest things. Then you take a wrong step and bam - tear tendons and ligaments.

Shit is great for acute recovery. Long-term, I will never go on it again. You can easily push your body past where it should be going. You are more prone to injury - which sounds counter intuitive because you feel like nothing ever hurts.

Just be careful.
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally forgot about him getting popped at Rio. Funny how that hasn't really stuck, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice! Today I took the last dose at lunch so no worries from here out. I’ll be sure to remember the potential for injury that exists, if I ever have to take it again.

ripple wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Just in case it wasn't, the half life of prednisone is very short and it out of your system within a day. That's why you have to taper off it carefully after long-term prescription, and should taper even on short term.

To the OP's post, I have had to be on prednisone for extended periods of time, twice, until I got the right medical diagnosis for what was actually going on. After a few days, the stuff makes you feel like superman. Every ache and pain that bothered you previously magically disappears. You get prednisone-induced insomnia yet still manage to function like a champ on 4 hours of sleep. You also get seriously pissed off at the littlest things. Then you take a wrong step and bam - tear tendons and ligaments.

Shit is great for acute recovery. Long-term, I will never go on it again. You can easily push your body past where it should be going. You are more prone to injury - which sounds counter intuitive because you feel like nothing ever hurts.

Just be careful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Just be careful.

Yes, I should have written that in pink, it was definitely said in sarcasm. The athlete was sprung but somehow inexplicably let off. He had admitted to taking a dose about a month before (it's not banned out of comp) but somehow it still showed in his system... so yes, I will remember to use pink next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have taken prednisone in nine day cycles a couple times for a sinus infection. It does make all the aches go away, but I have been lucky to never feel a racing heart or inability to sleep all night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Tues - In bed, in tears, unable to train because of a fever. Thurs - Wins a #Bronze medal. Well done, @H_Schoeman!

https://twitter.com/...592517259265/photo/1

Haha... what a joke. A miraculous recovery!!! Guy never wins a race in his life, is sick and the next day he gets Olympic bronze.

chrisb12 wrote:
ripple wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Just be careful.

Yes, I should have written that in pink, it was definitely said in sarcasm. The athlete was sprung but somehow inexplicably let off. He had admitted to taking a dose about a month before (it's not banned out of comp) but somehow it still showed in his system... so yes, I will remember to use pink next time.

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Feb 14, 19 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jim, i had a similar rx use last year and my doc warned me about how all the aches and pains would go away, sure did.
i dont think i had any actual performance gains, just that i felt great not being in pain.
long term use, no bueno. my dad basically died from many decades of use due to asthma, shuts down adrenal
glands and other bad stuff. prednisone dependency not good, creates serious issues.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
I.... As for antibiotics.....I'm not a good example, as I have had and use Zithro, Cipro, and Biaxin on a regular basis, ie: when i feel the sniffles coming on, depending on what symptoms I have. Yes, I know what people say about my useage.....but it is what works for me.

I'm going to be blunt: that's just stupid. Antibiotics do absolutely nothing about viruses -- which are what cause colds and flu. Taking all those antibiotics only helps breed super-bug bacteria that threaten the rest of us. We have people like you to thank for MRSA.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Running on prednisone [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
Taugen wrote:
I.... As for antibiotics.....I'm not a good example, as I have had and use Zithro, Cipro, and Biaxin on a regular basis, ie: when i feel the sniffles coming on, depending on what symptoms I have. Yes, I know what people say about my useage.....but it is what works for me.

I'm going to be blunt: that's just stupid. Antibiotics do absolutely nothing about viruses -- which are what cause colds and flu. Taking all those antibiotics only helps breed super-bug bacteria that threaten the rest of us. We have people like you to thank for MRSA.

As I have gotten older, I have become prone to sinus infections. Most go away on their own, typically viral infections, but the persistant bacterial sinus infections are the ones to treat. But, it takes time to figure out which type you have. If you are treating everything the moment you get the sniffles, you aren’t doing yourself any favors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK.. I thought so. I didn't look into the back story, which I probably should have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi folks.

On a similar theme... after 2 months of recurring / up and down respiratory problems that have stuffed up any decent training for more than a couple of days, I've been given a 5 day course of prednisolone (prednisolone, not prednisone, but they are supposedly pretty similar). 40mg a day.
Plus a dose of alternative antibiotics too to try finish clearing the remaining bronchial infection that is heading into the lungs.
(I've some asthma, usually well controlled wirh minimal levels if inhalers. But peak flow is distinctly below usual, coughing like buggery, etc.

I'm not going to be out training whilst on them - a steady sauntering dog walk is all I'm up to right now. So little risk of injury. And no races for months so no doping test fail risk.

Here is the Q for me...
I read differing info re. effects as far as weight loss or weight gain. Most info says it causes an increased appetite = cause of weight gain. So water / potassium imbalance too.
But others say it helped REDUCE weight.

What are folks experience ? I could do with losing the winter extra 10+ lbs, not gaining another 10 !
Maybe some gorilla tape across my mush is needed 😶

Do folks lose weight because they can then train lots ? The extra training being the cause of weight loss? Or is it all pounds ON ?

Thanks
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Feb 18, 19 6:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next