Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running in the cold: Painful penis
Quote | Reply
I went running the other day wearing a pair of shorts with a liner under a pair of loose fit tights. It was probably in the low 20s outside and just starting to lightly snow. After about 40 minutes or so my penis was in a world of pain. By the time I got home it hurt so much I didn't really know what to do. Luckily, warmer heads prevailed and I slowly tried to warm it up. The pain lasted until I had taken a warm shower, but not too hot for fear of burning myself.

Is this normal? Do I just need more layers? Does this happen to others?

I'm glad it's supposed to be warming up in the next few days because I don't think I can take another experience like that.

Other than the penis pain, the run was pretty good.

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than the penis pain, the run was pretty good.

I think I've just found a bumper sticker worthy of being put on my car.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Do I just need more layers?'

we're in the middle of a FIST workshop right now, and i read your post to those retailers in attendance. they want to know if you're circumcised, because this counts as a layer, and unless we know this we can't answer you intelligently.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First aid for near frostbitten appendages: Immediately apply warm, moist heat to the affected area. Complete immersion is preferred. Once feeling returns, continue warming with vigorous rubbing.

That's exactly what caring, concerned training partners are there for. Especially those partners who do not suffer from said appendage problems due to their sex. Not that there's anything wrong with...

But this subject is another reminder of "Lucky I live Hawaii!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAHAHAHAHA

that was amazing!

seriously though...they make windbriefs for a reason...you might want to invest in a pair....also, try lube, it might be just chafing that is causing the pain

on another note though dan, my penis goes numb while im on my bike...this is bad...how do i fix it? i tried moving the saddle to one side of the bike (slight angle), but haven't ridden it yet...ill see tomorrow how it holds up...

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
running to the point of getting a frost bitten scholng!!!!! You gotta be kidding me asking if this is normal. About as normal as putting your nads in a vice and seeing how tight you can squeeze them before you pass out.

To the dude who asked what a 'hard core triathlete' is - I think you found your poster child.

Luckily, warmer heads prevailed

Won't even go there...

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to purchase the greatest invention known to mankind (at least the foolish slice of mankind that go out running when it is cold enough to freeze your unit). Four years ago I purchased a pair of polyester/lycra undies with the nylon windproof front panel. I don't know how I managed to run for 22 years through all sorts of nasty winters without them. I ran for 1.5 hours on Sunday morning in -31 degree Celsius and aside from a little frostbite on my neck, everything else was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-31 degrees Celsius? Wow. That's pretty cold. Were you on Mars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam,

If you keep running, after a while the pain just goes away and you don't feel anything at all down there.

We call that "sleepy peepie."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happened to me once on a "nice" spring day I went out for a long run about 10 miles out and back. Wasn't wearing much and back in those days running shorts didn't have liners. Anyhow, out was with the wind, back was against. I was dressed fine for going out, not for coming back. Anyhow I survived and nothing fell off.

If you keep it out of the wind generally you are making enough heat to keep everything comfortable when you are running. So dress appropriately and be prepared if the weather changes on every run.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jhendric, That is classic, I was quietly eating a bowl of cereal as I read this thread, I spit it all over the screen! Were you on mars? classic!!

Seriously, I ran a marathon Sun. and recieved no ill effects from cold weather as it was 65'. I did however have some problems with my shorts. The liner in my running shorts was pretty snug but not uncomfortable, as I ran my package was pretty well supported but one of my testicles would actually creep up in my abdomen /sp? This was weird as I had to constantly reach in my shorts and push it back down. Creepy feeling and I'm sure creepy looking to all the families watching but it was a marathon at least I didn't crap in their yard:) I was wondering is this a common marathon side effect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same experience several years ago: went out running on a beautiful sunny day, but the temperature was below zero (Fahrenheit; about -20 Celsius) and there was a fairly strong wind blowing. I actually did not feel any part of me getting particularly cold; the problems started when I finally got home: at first I was worried because I could not feel my member, but slowly the blood started returning to it... together with the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my life. It literally felt like someone driving needles through my penis -- I had to gag myself both for protecting my teeth and for neighbourly tranquility. I called my MD friend but she said that there is nothing that can be done. Apparently, in the presence of extreme cold, your body cuts blood flow to your extremities first; since both your legs and arms are moving, the only extremity affected is the most painful one. And this is not a laughing matter: if blood does not circulate for a considerable time irreparable damage can occur.

From that day on I am really careful about running in cold temperatures, and you shoud definitely invest in some windproof under- or over-wear.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [jgrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man!

When I first read this thread I thought it was a joke. I guess there really is a lot of "tri-humor" I just don't get. When it's funny, I don't see it. When it's not funny, I think it is.

Safe to say, next time I go running outside in the cold, I'll be wearing 3 socks. Maybe I could nab one of the sheaths off my golf clubs.

"sleepy peepee", testicles running up into the stomach, frostbit penis. The climax of this sport is called "Ironman". I'm confused.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's this for a stupid human trick? I went downhill skiing one day in my boxers for the hell of it. It got very cold all of a sudden, when I was on the lift and my dick froze. The best thing for it would be for me to put my warm hands in my boxers, so I could warm my dick up. However, I didn't want to be arrested (remember Pee Wee Herman), so I had to grit my teeth. I got off the lift, and skiied all the way to the lodge, with my ski glove protecting my dick. Got into the lodge, went to the bathroom stall, locked the door, and warmed up my dick with my hands. The pain was horrifying, and my screams could be heard all over the lodge. Staggered out of the bathroom stall, and at that point, I had no dignity, so I stood in front of the hand air dryer, and aimed it full blast at my groin area. A few days later, I took my dick for a test drive, and thankfully, the plumbing was all in order.

I've had lots of unusual experiences, as I have had malaria, typhoid, broken bones, stitches, road rashes, and concussions, but nothing compares to the pain of that day that my dick got frostbitten.

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not on Mars ... southern Ontario. We've had more snow and cold weather this year than usual. I can't wait for spring so I can ride outside again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a pretty funny topic, since it actually happened to me this past weekend. I went for a ten mile run where the temps were in the mid teens. When I finished the run, my unit was extremely cold and hurt. It took a lot of hand holding :) to warm the sucker up. That was the first time I had ever experience that. I was wearing running shorts with Sugio sub zero tights.

I think I might pick up some of those shorts with the pad in front and see if that keeps me warmer. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one of these in college. Don't laugh, but it works. Makes Minnesota winters bearable. Plus, chicks dig 'em.

http://www.the-hand.com/

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strikes me there's a market for something like a neoprene beer can/bottle cooler thingie sized to fit the .....ahem........average male penis. Whoever makes them will only have to make one size, mind you - who amongst us would be seen buying 'small' or 'medium' ?

Cheers

Barry (in Florida, no extra layers needed)
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [Race Bannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but one of my testicles would actually creep up in my abdomen"

-----------------------

I've had this happen a few times, usually when running in bike shorts. Despite some concerns, I've never had the "balls" to ask about it. Any urologists out there who can assure me and Race Bannon that our boys are OK.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Cold, painful penis is perfectly normal. Think of it as "extreme shrinkage" coupled with your body's tendency to reduce blood flow to areas which are extremely cold (in order to conserve internal heat). However, even born and raised in northeastern Wisconsin, I've never really experienced it. My theory: the ever (un)popular jock strap. It keeps certain parts nicely snugged against one's lower abdomen, keeping them much warmer. That and layers, layers, layers.

2) Testes creeping up into the abdomen is also normal. That's from where they came and, in many men, the "pocket" is still there and relatively accessible. This happens most when the area is constricted or very cold (see "extreme shrinkage"). Again, it's just your body taking care of its own. The worst I've had it was hopping out of Lake Michigan and onto my bike during a tri. If you thought running with them there is uncomfortable...Oy! Luckily, they warmed up fairly quickly and returned to normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that I'm not alone on the freezing penis problem. It seems like the investment in some good wind briefs should solve most problems, however I'm also a strong believer in trying other methods, such as the one involving my female training partner.

Thanks for all of your help, and if you have any other suggestions, send them on.

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those of us running on the midwest tundra have been wearing the windbriefs with the nylon panel for years. I remember a road race years ago in February before such briefs were widely available. In the shower afterward I was holding my hands over my package to keep the water off. Everyone else seemed to be doing the same. If I had had a bunch of windbriefs that day, perhaps I could be retired now.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the cold: Painful penis [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone who surfs in cold or cool water has experienced the nut-creeping thing.

nothin' worse than when you're sitting on your board, see a good size set rolling in, jump flat on the board to paddle for it, and absolutely flatten your creeped-up nut with all of your body weight. (i think the wetsuit does something to hold em up too.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
we're in the middle of a FIST workshop right now, and i read your post to those retailers in attendance. they want to know if you're circumcised, because this counts as a layer, and unless we know this we can't answer you intelligently.[/reply]

Classic!

But seriously, I recall reading in a mountaineering book about a certain Everest guide who swore he'd take foreskin inventory before all expeditions, as the "clipped clientele" he'd led previously had too many problems with frostbite of the glans.

Something to think about for expectant parents. You don't want to limit your son's future choice of extreme pursuits, now do you?

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A sock down the front does wonders...running and biking. I ran this morning in chicago and it was a humid 5 degress...
Quote Reply

Prev Next