Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running in Heat
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for improving the quality of my afternoon runs when its hot outside? I typically run in the mornings, but have recently started running in the afternoons (partly due to timing/scheduling issues and partly to better simulate the end of an Ironman). Is this something that I will eventually just adapt to?

I went for a run in the afternoon the other day and had to stop at a water fountain approximately every 2km to drench my shirt and hat to remain comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry a water belt and have to drink about 20 oz/hour during hot and humid runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here, all my workouts are at lunch time here in the northeast and it gets very hot and humid. I run with a camelback and drench my shirt, shorts and head as needed. I sometimes wear long sleeves to keep the sun off me and then I can wet everything down all the way to my wrists. If it's really bad, I'll start off with a wet shirt to stay cool as long as I can. You do acclimate somewhat, but it's never easy. Might want to bring a phone in case of emergency. Sometimes you just go too hard or too far.

good luck

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slow down. If you are wearing loose clothing, and running w water that’s the only thing to do. Be consistent and it *should get easier.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in south Florida so I have some experience with this. A few things:

- Make sure you are hydrated and fueled before the run. I think its the 12-24 hours before the run that really make a difference
- Bring water with you or stash it somewhere along your run. Try to do loops to make water stops easier.
- Wear sunscreen
- It takes time.
- You will not be able to replicate what you can do in 60 degree weather. It's partially mental..... be realistic with yourself on those hot runs on what you can do.
- Most of all.... be smart and safe. Heat exhaustion/stroke is real.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same issues, and also run in the afternoons due to work schedule. From about now (live in FL) until basically Halloween I carry a water bottle and douse myself regularly; seems to help. And also know where the water fountains are along the way for refills. The hose in the backyard afterwards is something I focus towards on those last few miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 South Florida guy here too.
Hydrate well in advance. Set up a mini aid station in front of your house. When it gets really hot (August) I do 15min out, 15 back, refill water bottle, gel and repeat. It's boring as hell to run the same 15 min stretch over and over again but yeah... I change directions sometimes😀 I sometimes carry ice in hand. It's actually less humid in the afternoon compared to mornings here. Even if temperature is higher I can tolerate the heat better if humidity is lower.

stevej wrote:

- Make sure you are hydrated and fueled before the run. I think its the 12-24 hours before the run that really make a difference
- Bring water with you or stash it somewhere along your run. Try to do loops to make water stops easier.
- Wear sunscreen
- It takes time.
- You will not be able to replicate what you can do in 60 degree weather. It's partially mental..... be realistic with yourself on those hot runs on what you can do.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
It's actually less humid in the afternoon compared to mornings here. Even if temperature is higher I can tolerate the heat better if humidity is lower.

Totally agree with this. I ran an easy hour this morning. It was miserable.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I freeze small water bottles and carry one with me as i run. Fuel Belt bottles usually last me 3 miles or so before they’re completely gone. The ice chills the hand, which I’ve heard is a decent spot for blood circulation (retired pro Torbjorn Sinballe used to wear a rubber glove and shove ice in it for the same reason in his Kona days). Also, as it melts I squirt myself with it or sip it.

Hope this helps. Stay cool and be safe out there.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Is this something that I will eventually just adapt to?

Yes, you will acclimate to the heat if you consistently run in it. Just take it easy for a while until you're feeling more comfortable in the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything above me.... plus, don't forget the sunscreen. The tips of my ears were getting absolutely murdered by the sun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
... to remain comfortable.

IMO that is the problem. Yes the workout quality is a concern as you get tired but you have to get comfortable being uncomfortable. Not every run should be in the heat so you can get some quality training in but when you do run in heat, make sure you have enough water on you to be safe but if you want to handle the heat you have to take the punishment.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And remember, fueling is different too, you will sweat a LOT and that can deplete your electrolytes. IMO, the biggest benefit is to KNOW what it will take to fuel those workouts, so you know what you will need during your race.

I tend to mix and match my longer workouts so not all of them are afternoon miserable runs, but at least do a few so I know the strategies I need to employ to stay properly fueled. I don't know if you ever really get used to the heat, it is always going to slow you down a little (lot). What you are trying to avoid is completely cooking yourself and shutting down.

I used to live on a golf course, and I wouldn't run on it, but one of the side streets came very close to the #4 tee box that was always stocked with a water cooler with ICE COLD water. I would do a 6 mile loop where I would pass it almost in the middle. Going to miss that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live on a SC coastal island just north of GA. To add to the Florida guys comments, a salt stick for anything longer goes a long way in addition to water stops. The hardest part is psychologically accepting you're going to be slower - a lesson that repeatedly needs relearning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running in the heat is hard, no way around it. You still will benefit from fitness gains in the heat as long as is not dangerously hot out, even if you're running slower than you'd like in 'normal temps.' I ran my best during marathon training in full Los Angeles summer sun, including quite a few 85-90+F runs.

Make sure you have lots of water available. I didn't have water sources where I ran in the Santa Monica mountains for 20+ milers, so I brought a full 2L Camelbak that weighed 9lbs fully loaded (!) and I drank ALL of it on those runs. That's def the most important thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slow down and def carry water. You might not actually get that acclimated to it. I don't ever fully get used to it, but you just train through it smartly. When its hot out is when I am way more focused on my HR than pace.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
forgot to mention and not sure if anyone else did, make sure to try to drink what you will likely be drinking on course. You don't want to find out at the race your stomach has a hard time with x energy drink or gel... when it's hot. Stomachs can be weird when it's hot.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for improving the quality of my afternoon runs when its hot outside? I typically run in the mornings, but have recently started running in the afternoons (partly due to timing/scheduling issues and partly to better simulate the end of an Ironman). Is this something that I will eventually just adapt to?

I went for a run in the afternoon the other day and had to stop at a water fountain approximately every 2km to drench my shirt and hat to remain comfortable.

I abhor running in the heat, particularly in the sun. The answer to your question is that heat-associated training acclimation begins immediately and takes approximately two weeks to mature, depending upon the magnitude and frequency of the stimulus. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be more comfortable, but that the physiological adjustments will have taken place to improve your performance in the heat. So theoretically, at a given absolute workload, you should be more comfortable than if those acclimations hadn't taken place. There's really a lot of literature, including review papers, available on this topic. Search "heat training exercise" on pubmed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

- Wear sunscreen
- It takes time.

Agree with most here. But re heat exhaustion it's been one of the most unjustifiably hyped occurances in endurance sport. The facts are clear from years of data that especially in marathon running and ironman that more athletes have died from over drinking (EAH) than heat stroke or dehydration.

Run more in the heat and try keeping your upper body covered as much as possible, arm sleeves work well especially with water on them, that helps to cool you. Just drink when you're thirsty and the more you run in heat the better you'll adapt. Humans are better at than any animal in heat when it comes to running.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [Paolo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably don't sweat up to 2l per hour in 90% humidity. Drink to thirst my ass.

Paolo55 wrote:
stevej wrote:
- Wear sunscreen
- It takes time.

Agree with most here. But re heat exhaustion it's been one of the most unjustifiably hyped occurances in endurance sport. The facts are clear from years of data that especially in marathon running and ironman that more athletes have died from over drinking (EAH) than heat stroke or dehydration.

Run more in the heat and try keeping your upper body covered as much as possible, arm sleeves work well especially with water on them, that helps to cool you. Just drink when you're thirsty and the more you run in heat the better you'll adapt. Humans are better at than any animal in heat when it comes to running.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
You probably don't sweat up to 2l per hour in 90% humidity. Drink to thirst my ass.

Paolo55 wrote:
stevej wrote:
- Wear sunscreen
- It takes time.

Comments in these types of threads from people that haven't truly trained in hot AND humid environments never cease to amaze me.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Heat [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What amazes me in these threads are the self proclaimed experts who seem to know everything. You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts.

Not my words but Prof. Tim Noakes. I’m simply stating in my words his 30 odd years of research in this field.

Quite presumptuous to assume you know where I live and train mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. It’s called the treadmill.
I lived in Tampa and now Houston. Summer is exclusive indoor training.
You can find ways to go run outside but 2 things will happen.
1) you will run slower.
2) you will extend the recovery you need and train less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also train in Houston = gawd awful air quality + heat + humidity. As soon as the summer heat hits us (early May for us this year) I get out in it. It always blows the first 6 weeks. Like others mentioned, expect HR will be higher, pace will be slower, breathing in a oven, allergies may be worse, cover up those shoulders, keep that shirt + hat wet, run loops with water stations and maybe keep a cooler with ice cubes stashed close by. If a super hot day... Ice in hat, hands, mouth and on femoral artery. The sooner you get out there in it during the season the better. You will acclimate to it but it never feels awesome to be in it. You will feel awesome in the late summer/early fall when you are racing in heat and kicking ass and the others are complaining about it. The biggest advice I can give...

1) Be easy on yourself during this time. Don't expect to run on your normal pace. Take as many water breaks as needed.
2) Hydrate both the night before and the before run with a product like Osmo - you may still suffer but your body will handle it better and you won't feel miserable the rest of the day/weekend.
3) Don't expect to acclimate and get used to it if you are only in the heat a few hours a week during your runs. I make a point of opening up my home's doors/windows every night for a few hours, sitting outside more and trying to be in it to get used to it during the non-training hours. You can't sit in air conditioning for 95% of your life and expect to feel or perform good when you are in the heat/humidity for the rest.
4) Treat yourself. I setup my recovery before I run. When I reach my doorsteps after the run I have the water hose set to shower mode and drench myself from heat to toe, my favorite recovery drink ready to go and a chair to sit in to let myself drip dry for a few minutes while I drink. When that run gets tough, I find I can push myself further when I am looking forward to my post race yard shower and drink.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Jun 15, 19 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't run in the heat. Everything is fine for about 45 minutes then the wheels come off. Irony is I love the heat. Just can't run in it. Especially in tris running off the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next