Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running head lamp recommendations
Quote | Reply
Need to update my head lamp, current one uses aaa batteries.
I know there are many out there what works for you?

*Need it for the early morning dog walks about 45min.
* Want chargeable

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running with a Petzl Tikka RXP since 2015, still with the original battery pack. The battery pack it came with is user replaceable and USB rechargeable. The headlamp has never let me down; even after seasons of rainy, winter running in the Pacific Northwest. Petzl has since replaced my model with the “Swift RL Lamp” and if my current headlamp ever needs to be replaced, that’s what I would purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [_canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That’s nice and good features
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the black diamond sprinter. It allows you to set your standard brightness and then with a tap of the finger it will go to full brightness, quick tap again and you are back to standard brightness. I use it for street and trail running in the dark. Lasts at least a week in 20° runs. It also has a back facing red light that will flash for extra attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, it's that time of year again, when all the head lamp threads pop back up

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...headlamp&search=

Good luck, have fun, be safe

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Sep 14, 20 7:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shortly Bio lIte will unveil new model that is light, does up to 750 lumen, rechargeable battery which can also have another battery attached to it for longer life. Very comfortable. And lightweight. Their other 2 models allow eight nothing and can be bought at REI. Worth a look
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple Petzl Tikka RXP headlamps and a Black Diamond (uses batteries).

For strictly dog walking, the Petzl is way more light than you need, even on the lowest setting, it's really made for trail running where you need a lot more light. I'd go with something more basic that uses regular batteries, rechargeable sucks when you forget to charge the battery (I bought extra batteries for my Petzls).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this lamp and love it.
https://www.rei.com/...-sprint-225-headlamp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May be slightly off topic here, But running in the Dark with a head lamp gives me two problems , first of all, totally destroys my night vision. The second is derived from that - as the lamp only lights up 6-7 feet ahead, I’ve had several head on collisions with pedestrians out for a morning stroll. Any good solutions for that?
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
May be slightly off topic here, But running in the Dark with a head lamp gives me two problems , first of all, totally destroys my night vision. The second is derived from that - as the lamp only lights up 6-7 feet ahead, I’ve had several head on collisions with pedestrians out for a morning stroll. Any good solutions for that?

A decent light will give you a lot more than 6-7ft (are you perhaps exaggerating?). But you also want a good light dispersion without "hot spots". This will minimise the amount of "night vision" loss for a given amount of environment feedback.

I use the Black Diamond Sprinter and find it pretty good.
I think its about 200 lumens at max and has a pretty effective diffuser. The manufacturer says max 50m range. That's probably slightly optimistic but only slightly.

If your light is too bright it's going to dazzle anyone coming the other way, so don't go overboard, but I think the Sprinter is about right. You can see well enough to run safely and comfortably at a fair speed without having to squint to see beyond the field of illumination (at least in good conditions). In the wet, the road surface has a habit of reflecting much of the light from whatever you use and there's not much you can do without just getting excessive on power.

Edit: A headlight like the Sprinter is also very practical around the house, shed, attic and garden.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Sep 14, 20 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
brasch wrote:

A decent light will give you a lot more than 6-7ft (are you perhaps exaggerating?). But you also want a good light dispersion without "hot spots". This will minimise the amount of "night vision" loss for a given amount of environment feedback.

I use the Black Diamond Sprinter and find it pretty good.
I think its about 200 lumens at max and has a pretty effective diffuser. The manufacturer says max 50m range. That's probably slightly optimistic but only slightly.

If your light is too bright it's going to dazzle anyone coming the other way, so don't go overboard, but I think the Sprinter is about right. You can see well enough to run safely and comfortably at a fair speed without having to squint to see beyond the field of illumination (at least in good conditions). In the wet, the road surface has a habit of reflecting much of the light from whatever you use and there's not much you can do without just getting excessive on power.

Edit: A headlight like the Sprinter is also very practical around the house, shed, attic and garden.

Good advice , I’m not really running I walk two dogs and just need to see that I don’t step in a pot hole, snake , etc . And the light does really come in handy around the house as you said.
Some good product ideas , thanks guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get an adjustable one so.
I usually reduce the brightness a lot when I'm walking or if I'm running on busy paths where there's some ambient light - I don't want to be a nuisance to oncoming pedestrians. No need for full beam unless I'm running in complete darkness or hazardous surface.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check Costco. They usually have a pack of 2-3 at a good price that will work just fine for what you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a cheap headlamp from Amazon/eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Lightweight-Adjustable-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B086QPFLPP/ref=sr_1_54?crid=2UAR6XY0JSE1 (not the exact model, but mine [pictured below) is seven years old).

It claims 1000 lumens, comparing it to higher-end models I'd put it at a legit 800.

Reasonably light (only one battery, and the battery case is in the back for balance).

Works well when wet (I have a high sweat rate, and am drenched even on night runs)

There is a red "be seen" blinker at the back.

It has a hi/lo strobe option where it blinks at 1000/500 which is great for being seen without having trouble seeing ahead (no stop-action strobe effect).

Uses 1 rechargeable 18650 lithium ion battery (good life and won't lose charge sitting between runs).

It's also great for working on your car/bike, and can even be used on a bike helmet.

Regardless of which light you choose, get enough lumens. I've run with a 175 and 300lm headlamps and while it's workable, having 800lm is such a better experience. You can easily see the ground 10m ahead and can focus on running vs. trying to make out any ruts/cracks/holes/debris.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [rutsackrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll put in another vote for the Black Diamond Sprinter. I have a really old one that has taken a beating and still works. I like how it has the battery pack on back that helps give it balance. I also like that the battery pack has a red flashing light, so I can be seen from behind as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a headlight junkie. I have dozens of them. Adventure racing, trail running the AT, night hiking the everglades, or just running in traffic I usually always have one on me.

You cant go wrong with a Petzl or Black Diamond.

But this one is my next must have. Just released and it may be the headlamp to rule them all.

https://www.petzl.com/...E-headlamps/IKO-CORE
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:

On the night vision problem: maybe a chest lamp like the one below (sold by Decathlon in Europe) can be part of the solution. I had a related, but maybe slightly different problem: with a headlamp, the light beam originates directly above your eyes, and whenever it's even slightly foggy or misty, light is reflected directly back straight into your eyes with a blinding effect. The chest lamp sits much lower (same principle as fog lights on a car), so the angle of the light is much better for me (also outlines rocks or sticks on the trail much better in my experience). Plus the battery pack that sits on the straps on your back between your shoulder blades is a bit beefier (thus more capacity) while being barely noticeable.

Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already have my headlamp to 'rule them all'. Mine was discontinued, but it is still so good that it is always my go-to.

Mine was a Fenix HL12 but I think the newer Fenix HM61R is the updated equivalent.

For me, the key features were:

- Long battery life at high power. I was doing a lot of 1.5-2hr runs all in the dark in winter. If you buy a headlamp that puts out '500 lumens', make sure you check how long it will put that out for and that it will match your use. It sucks when you're out in pitch black and 3/4 the way through your run, your battery dies. The Fenix headlamp I use goes over 2hrs at full blast.

- Waterproof

- Over-top headstrap was a plus for me for optimal fit

- Bulletproof design. Fenix products are bulletproof - they're are awesomely made. You won't regret getting one.

- Not huge. The HL12 and equivalent are on the larger size but I've never had an issue with size/weight.

I don't think battery or LED technology has jumped in the past 10 years, so if you get a smaller/lighter package, you will be compromising in terms of brightness or runtime. And be skeptical of Amazon cheap chinese lights - I've tried a bunch of them.Most of them really overstate their performance (lumens esp), and all the ones I had ran well for a while and then I think the inferior chargers/batteries would suddenly burn out. Never happens with Fenix or other name brand ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Regardless of which light you choose, get enough lumens. I've run with a 175 and 300lm headlamps and while it's workable, having 800lm is such a better experience. You can easily see the ground 10m ahead and can focus on running vs. trying to make out any ruts/cracks/holes/debris.

800 lumens is ridiculous for any type of running or walking (OPs intended use is walking), that's about the same lumens as a cars headlight. 200 lumens is plenty and it won't blind everyone you cross paths with.
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

800 lumens is ridiculous for any type of running or walking (OPs intended use is walking), that's about the same lumens as a cars headlight. 200 lumens is plenty and it won't blind everyone you cross paths with.

Actually, 800 lumens I find the ideal light power IF I'm running all by myself in the darkness with few other pedestrians around. For me, that's like a 4 or 5AM run where almost nobody is out.

With 800 lumens, you can see far, and well. Sprints, everything, no problem, even all-out. It also makes running a lot less creepy!

Obviously, 800 though is not required and just makes things better running at night. I'd say anything over 350 is good enough for pretty much all running, even technical trails, as well as all-out sprints. I used to run all the time with Fenix 220 lumen lamps (which are a legit 220) and they work, but at least for me, I'd call that a very subpar experience, especially when you crank the speeds up and are dealing with sporading car light washing out your night vision. (At 800 lumens, you don't need to worry one bit about night vision washout.)

And of course, 800 lumens is downright rude if there is anyone on your side of the street, and if there are oncoming cars, consider turning it down to 200 or at least aim it way away from them when you run by. At 800 you do have to use discretion if there are others around, but trust me - its SO much of a better night running experience compared to 200, or even 400!

(I've actually tried a 1000+ lumen bike light mounted on my head with battery in a backpack to see if it would get even better, but it was actually TOO bright. Anything that could reflect was literally blinding, which is pretty much all signs, street reflective paint, etc.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 15, 20 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
hobbyjogger wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Actually, 800 lumens I find the ideal light power IF I'm running all by myself in the darkness with few other pedestrians around. For me, that's like a 4 or 5AM run where almost nobody is out.

With 800 lumens, you can see far, and well. Sprints, everything, no problem, even all-out. It also makes running a lot less creepy!

Obviously, 800 though is not required and just makes things better running at night. I'd say anything over 350 is good enough for pretty much all running, even technical trails, as well as all-out sprints. I used to run all the time with Fenix 220 lumen lamps (which are a legit 220) and they work, but at least for me, I'd call that a very subpar experience, especially when you crank the speeds up and are dealing with sporading car light washing out your night vision. (At 800 lumens, you don't need to worry one bit about night vision washout.)

And of course, 800 lumens is downright rude if there is anyone on your side of the street, and if there are oncoming cars, consider turning it down to 200 or at least aim it way away from them when you run by. At 800 you do have to use discretion if there are others around, but trust me - its SO much of a better night running experience compared to 200, or even 400!

(I've actually tried a 1000+ lumen bike light mounted on my head with battery in a backpack to see if it would get even better, but it was actually TOO bright. Anything that could reflect was literally blinding, which is pretty much all signs, street reflective paint, etc.)

Agree. 800 is about the sweet spot for me on trail running. I use a visor to shade my eyes from side wash and the roots and rocks just show up so much better in the 600-800 range. Its like 720P to 1080 P OLED!! Nightly streets runs with street lights etc I can get anyway with my cheaper 200-400 lamps.
Quote Reply
Re: Running head lamp recommendations [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
brasch wrote:

On the night vision problem: maybe a chest lamp like the one below (sold by Decathlon in Europe) can be part of the solution. I had a related, but maybe slightly different problem: with a headlamp, the light beam originates directly above your eyes, and whenever it's even slightly foggy or misty, light is reflected directly back straight into your eyes with a blinding effect. The chest lamp sits much lower (same principle as fog lights on a car), so the angle of the light is much better for me (also outlines rocks or sticks on the trail much better in my experience). Plus the battery pack that sits on the straps on your back between your shoulder blades is a bit beefier (thus more capacity) while being barely noticeable.

I tried two chest mounted lights from GoMotion for a running light review. Personally, I disliked them. The light beam swings left to right with every step. It becomes dizzying. I would sell them for super cheap if somebody wanted to try on their own. The packs themselves were pretty decent.

After buying a dumb amount of headlamps, I believe there's a reason the Black Diamond Sprinter comes up constantly in recommendations. It's balanced to wear and the beam is much more of a 'spot' than a 'flood' type light which I like better for running. I feel like the focused optics cuts down on glare that is mentioned above. The optional tail light is good. Super easy to use with gloves. Gets pretty bright with a single tap. Whenever I tried high power headlamps, it seems like my eyes started adjusting pretty quickly and the high power became a moot point. I would almost have to wear them with a hat to keep the spillover from the light out of my eyes. Two previous headlights were 130 and 150 lumens at the settings I was fine with. I can't imagine 800 lumens as mentioned above. That's what I would MTB with. Must be some pretty fast trail runners.
Quote Reply