Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running has no "Kona"
Quote | Reply
Running has no "Kona" and maybe the sport of running is healthier for it. Healthier in terms of more races that share the wealth rather than so much being invested in one race.

What would you do if Kona was de-emphasized?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

The sun would still rise every day and my triathlon life would continue as normal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You give Kona as much as value as you want, I don't like the hype, I don't like Ironman. I will never participate in their races, so it is not really my problem. End of the story, isn't?
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
IT wrote:

The sun would still rise every day and my triathlon life would continue as normal...

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boston? I have a neighbor that runs >5hr, bought their way into Boston, and has a gold 26.2 sticker on their car....it’s not that different.
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Boston? I have a neighbor that runs >5hr, bought their way into Boston, and has a gold 26.2 sticker on their car....it’s not that different.

was going to suggest boston too. it's an (over?)-valued race on a weird, slow course that doesn't suit all runners. but it's steeped in history and, for some people, the pinnacle of the sport. but from the pro's point of view, running fast and winning at, say, London or berlin would probably be the tougher test. (ditto roth or Frankfurt, or even 70.3 worlds in tri.)

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about the Boston Marathon? Seems that qualifying is an obsession for a lot of runners, at least in North America. Many other marathons are seen by serious competitors as simply an opportunity to BQ, and entry consideration revolves around how likely the course is to yield a BQ for the competitor. If a course measuring mistake is made at a race, and BQ status is revoked, there's an uproar.

Running is simpler and will always have more races; simpler for a competitor to train for, and simpler for a RD to organize.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Running's "Kona" is "Boston".

One word is all it takes to recognize these 2 events in the endurance sports world.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Jun 27, 19 4:08
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Agreed. Running's "Kona" is "Boston".

One word is all it takes to recognize these 2 events in the endurance sports world.

BQ and KQ
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boston is very close to Kona for AGers I would say. But not so much for the pro field as it's just one of the majors for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me it wouldn't matter all that much. I don't get the Kona hype for AG`ers as anyone can do it, which was established in the "anyone can KQ" thread (ping @ErikMulk ). KQ for Pros is a different matter.

The most important role Kona has in my life is providing tons upon tons of motivation for the winter season. Starting a new season after a break in early October, in the land of always winter, with the days getting shorter and shorter, can be challenging mentally. But after Kona I am pretty much fired up until February/March. Then a little training camp in Spain reinforces my motivation and just like that spring is on us.

The only problem I have with Kona is the American broadcasting perspective . All the heartbreaking stories from AG´ers and their families. Probably a cultural thing.... I would rather just see the pro race and interviews with coaches, other pro athletes, experts etc.

I guess I am different. Most people apparently love that stuff. In addition sponsors, important people etc need to be seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As previously mentioned running has Boston. Running even has an analog of WTC-branded races - World Marathon Majors.

Running is healthier because it's cheaper, safer and easier to organize. If deny those advantages to running, you'll get something like Tough Mudder and it will have the same unhealthiness as Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think of the broadcast as a giant advertisement instead of actual sporting event coverage.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Jun 27, 19 5:15
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:

The only problem I have with Kona is the American broadcasting perspective . All the heartbreaking stories from AG´ers and their families. Probably a cultural thing.... I would rather just see the pro race and interviews with coaches, other pro athletes, experts etc.

You can sit at your computer all day on race day and watch exactly the type of coverage you're talking about. The 90 minutes NBC produces is for a general TV audience, you could always choose not to watch it. Anybody that really cares about the race already knows who won by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above posters that boston is the kona of running. Its the prestige brought on by the history of the event. So what if people pay their way in, for those who actually run (unless you are on letsrun) to BQ is a big deal that people train hard to achieve much like kona.

It took me a couple tries, but that was my main goal with marathons was to get to a point to BQ and I wanted to BQ at sub 3, not wait to age up for a slower qualifying time because I knew what I was capable of. People will pay to get into anything, but I think the quest to get there and achieving it is the most satisfying that the charity runners can't take away. AND I'm not saying that for them what they are donating to charity is bad and they don't deserve to be there, I'm just sayin'

I like that feeling of having a big race that you have to earn your way into

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

Nothing in my life would change.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that Boston is the Kona of running. When I read the thread title my mind immediately said “Boston”. Lots of parallels between the two.

Neither impact my training very much, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [pointless_chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pointless_chip wrote:
You give Kona as much as value as you want, I don't like the hype, I don't like Ironman. I will never participate in their races, so it is not really my problem. End of the story, isn't?
+1

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
I agree that Boston is the Kona of running. When I read the thread title my mind immediately said “Boston”. Lots of parallels between the two.

Neither impact my training very much, though.

Ditto.

I was like “Boston, duh” 🙄

BQ = KQ.
Something that’s not actually that hard for good athletes -
but has definitely gotten more challenging of late, and that average AG’ers can aspire to.

Also - you can buy your way into both.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

This. Why people return to Kona year-after-year as AGers is beyond me.

As a 45 year old, I'm confident BQ would be easier than KQ.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jun 27, 19 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boston is a million times more relevant and important globally than Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I have watched it on my computer, the last few years, and unlike most other races, which I also watch, this one is loaded with commercials, uninteresting stories etc.

The NBC version I couldn't get through, on my trainer, when every other part of the internet was down. It was better to look into the wall for 90min
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
Boston is very close to Kona for AGers I would say. But not so much for the pro field as it's just one of the majors for them.

Boston is the oldest, which to me makes it even more equivalent to Kona. Easily the most well known and sought after marathon in the world!

Boston <=> Kona

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Running has no "Kona" and maybe the sport of running is healthier for it. Healthier in terms of more races that share the wealth rather than so much being invested in one race.

Moot point. This is not running this is triathlon. As Sara True said "Triathlon in the Olympics is still about the Olympics. Triathlon is about Kona".

In other example: The NFL is about the super bowl. If you don't like the NFL but like football watch college ball. If you don't like the brand "Ironman" race independent races but at the end of the day Triathlon is about Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Running has no "Kona" [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

As a 45 year old, I'm confident BQ would be easier than KQ.

BQ gets a lot easier once you turn 40. Running a sub 3:15 open marathon is a very achievable goal especially if you're willing to use a downhill course.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next