Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running after knee replacement
Quote | Reply

Six weeks ago I had my left knee replaced with the Stryker triathlon total knee replacement system. I would like to hear from someone who has had their knee replaced to let me know if they were they able to run on the artificial knee. If they were able to run, how much were they able to run? I consider myself a very bio-mechanically efficient runner so I will be imposing minimal stress on the knee while running. Any insight as to what I can look forward to would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [Cookson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm primarily giving you a bump on this.

I have not had a knee replaced...although I'm sure I'm "looking forward to it" somewhere down the road. There have been a few posters over the years with knee and hip replacements. The general consensus is listen to your body, listen to your doctor/PT, keep the slope of your ramp-up shallow, and err on the side of more cushion in your shoes, even if you are an efficient runner. The phrase "...imposing minimal stress..." is actually "...imposing comparatively minimal stress..." running still imparts way more impulse than swimming, biking, and walking (in good shoes). While regaining your active lifestyle is important for your quality of life, the primary goal still needs to be longevity of the implant.

Side note: keep the twisting motions to a minimum for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you do search there are a couple of people who have experience.

My doc said NO RUNNING. Swim, bike, walk, even ice skating (though I had to push him for that) is fine. His exact words, "You can run but you will wear it our faster and likely need a second replacement - which are much more difficult to do."

I do know a guy whose doc is letting him run easy/short a couple of days a week. This was only after +1 year post-op.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting back to me.

I know all about doctors telling me not to do stuff. Two years ago I had open heart surgery. After the operation I asked him If I could do triathlons again and he said, "NO". When I asked him how hard could I push myself when working out I was told to keep my HR low and not push myself too hard. Not accepting this answer I reached out to other OHS patients who told me about a doctor who understood endurance athletes and told me I could and what to do. Less than a year after I had the heart surgery I did an Olympic distance race and 2 months later I did a half-IM.

This is why I posted my question about running after knee replacement here on Slowtwitch. I know there are people out there with artificial knees who can give me the information I need in order to run again. I am depending on my fellow endurance athletes to help because I know I won't get any help from my doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I would also ask how old you are. I received mine when I was only 56 so I would prefer to keep it for a very long time.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not my experience, but the guy that takes our club spin class is a multiple IM finisher - did his last one at 59 with a full replacement knee ... :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't what you want to hear but I would not do it. These are mechanical devices and by stressing it more with running you could wear it out prematurely. Revisions of joint replacements are more complex and difficult. As always talk to your doctor but if it were me I would switch to biking and swimming only.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback.

I am very torn on this decision, which is why I posted the question on this forum looking for opinions. I have qualified for Kona twice with a bad heart and bad knee. Now that I have had both my heart and knee repaired I feel I can qualify again, BUT is the risk worth it? I'm asking this question to as many people as I can. In another couple of months, when I completely recover and after weighting what people like you tell me, I will make a decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just do not get it. Do you want to be in a wheel chair if you get older. There are times to let things go.
I am always amazed at runners who did too much and used up the knee and or hip, then think technology can have
them avoid getting old.

I gave up basketball a long time ago. I pretty much have also had to give up water skiing. And when it is time
I will give up this sport rather than walk poorly like I see many who just could not stop.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a doctor, but I have been a rep selling total joints for 16 years-been in the OR for 1000s of cases.
I would not run on a TKA. If that implant fails you are looking at a revision surgery/component. Typically revision components are more constrained by design=smaller range of motion. You're looking at bone loss and generally a more invasive procedure. I would be surprised if this was not explained pre op as most surgeons are pretty good at setting expectations appropriately. Again not a doc but feel free to reach out via PM if you want more info.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That about sums it up from my point of view. Revision of a total hip can go okay but a total knee not so good. Either way I would want to maximize the longevity of the original total joint. In 10-15 years you may not be healthy enough to bounce back even if technically the surgery goes well.

h2ofun wrote:
I just do not get it. Do you want to be in a wheel chair if you get older. There are times to let things go.
I am always amazed at runners who did too much and used up the knee and or hip, then think technology can have
them avoid getting old.

I gave up basketball a long time ago. I pretty much have also had to give up water skiing. And when it is time
I will give up this sport rather than walk poorly like I see many who just could not stop.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
That about sums it up from my point of view. Revision of a total hip can go okay but a total knee not so good. Either way I would want to maximize the longevity of the original total joint. In 10-15 years you may not be healthy enough to bounce back even if technically the surgery goes well.

h2ofun wrote:
them avoid getting old.

This is why a number of folks who have been told they should not longer run have purchased the Bionic Runner. Zero joint impact
and one can get some of the same high's like running. I sure love mine.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookson wrote:

I know all about doctors telling me not to do stuff. Two years ago I had open heart surgery. After the operation I asked him If I could do triathlons again and he said, "NO". When I asked him how hard could I push myself when working out I was told to keep my HR low and not push myself too hard. Not accepting this answer I reached out to other OHS patients who told me about a doctor who understood endurance athletes and told me I could and what to do. Less than a year after I had the heart surgery I did an Olympic distance race and 2 months later I did a half-IM.

This is why I posted my question about running after knee replacement here on Slowtwitch. I know there are people out there with artificial knees who can give me the information I need in order to run again. I am depending on my fellow endurance athletes to help because I know I won't get any help from my doctor.

With regard to the heart thing....we call this defensive medicine. If I tell you (a patient with a cardiac history) that you're okay to resume tris after open heart surgery and something happens...guess who your family is going to sue? Practitioners do this all the time, and you can thank the lawyers. I wouldn't use this as justification for ignoring your orthopedic surgeon.

With regard to your knee. Can you run? Of course. Should you? Absolutely not. Be an adult and listen to your surgeon on this one. There's a reason you're being told not to run here. Polyethylene is not perfect. It wears out. Don't expedite that process. Revision surgeries are never as successful as primaries.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That thing looks rather neat. It looks like you can use to simulate running maybe do half that and half running to spare your connective tissue?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
That thing looks rather neat. It looks like you can use to simulate running maybe do half that and half running to spare your connective tissue?

Yep, that is what a lot of us are doing. And some of the folks using are really really good.

Go take a look at stuff at the FB page

https://www.facebook.com/...ps/1507045689572412/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a hospital where 100% of my patients are rehabing from hip and knee replacement. You may run but it will shorten the life of the liner. It usually lasts 15-20 years but if you run (of course it depends how often, how hard etc) you may be back for revision in 10 yrs or so. Advice: don't run, its not wort it, you have nothing to prove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookson wrote:

Your doc is not there to offer you any help. He is there to tell you the facts. Its up to you to listen or not. Be careful, or better yet, don't bother with people from the endurance community. Too much ego, too much "I'll show that doc" etc. Do they know in what state is their knee after, say 5 yrs of running? When was the last time they had an x-ray post surgery? What about their running style: is it the same as yours? Too many variables...This "endurance community" in many cases knows jackshit. Listen to your doc, surgeon and physio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookson wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.

I am very torn on this decision, which is why I posted the question on this forum looking for opinions. I have qualified for Kona twice with a bad heart and bad knee. Now that I have had both my heart and knee repaired I feel I can qualify again, BUT is the risk worth it? I'm asking this question to as many people as I can. In another couple of months, when I completely recover and after weighting what people like you tell me, I will make a decision.
No, it is not. You have KQed twice! What else do you have to prove? That you can do it with artificial knee? Other then you, who else gives a rat's ass? I'll tell you who: those who are going to be payed to rehab you, thats who. Wanna be my patient? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

h2ofun wrote:
them avoid getting old.

This!! Absolutely, 100% true. We have patients who had one knee or hip done, say, 10 yrs ago and now they are having the second one done and they are asking why is the rehab so much harder. Because you are older and weaker!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookson, I can totally relate. I was an elite triathlete into my 40's. I started out a runner and there is still nothing like running to me. You may look into an Elliptigo, that is the closest thing I have found and what I did the last 5 years or so as I tried everything to put off the knee replacement(s), I now have at age 55. Some very notable runners, (Dick Beardsley), have continued to run on knee replacements and done well. There are also some studies, (I would willingly sign up for one), that indicate not much difference in knee wear for TKR patients who run vs. those who don't. I am 3 months post TKR. After a brutal 1st month, slowly improving 2nd month, I am finally feeling the urge to try to shuffle jog a bit with an ultimate goal of running. I am swimming, elliptigoing, and cycling. I have also been running in the water. All that said, I think the majority of the responses you have received are probably valid. However, few of them seem to be from anyone who has had knee replacements AND run. I would like to hear from them. I am torn between listening to the majority, and being the rebel, like you, who proves them all wrong. I once ran a 4:01 half iron, yet all anyone ever ask me is if I ever did an Ironman. I would love to do one. I know I could still get through the swim and bike in 6-7 hours. Right now, my plan is to work toward running just 1-2 times a week, but relying on muscle memory IF and when I do a tri. Keep in touch. Is there anyone else out there who actually IS running on TKR's?
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [querep829] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it’s worth, I went to a seminar last week at Rothman Institute in Philadelphia. The doctor flat out said there are NO restrictions after a TKR... I challenged him on this indicating I was a triathlete and he reconfirmed, none. He indicated the “new” plastics used within the last 5 to 10 years are dramatically better than before. Lab studies and actually results show very little if any failure. Don’t know if it true but that’s what he said. So when I finally get mine done (I’m 50 years old) F it, I’m running on it. I’ll stop running after my revision if I need one. For mental health The daily training SBR is just part of my life I don’t want to give up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Cookson,
It’s your local triathlete a mickey from New Jersey. Some reason posts here and thought I would chime in. I had my total knee in October 2017. Road my bike 3 miles to my 2 week post op visit to doctor. At 10 1/2 was flew to Florida for a sprint triathlon. Did 18 tri’s this season. Leg feels great. I’m a physical therapist. I’m not saying I am smart, just saying my knee is better than ever. No pain. Can even run.faster but keeping running to about 10 miles a week. Surgeon isn’t thrilled. “ my candle burns at both ends, it will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends it burns a beautiful light”
Mickey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 70 years old and have had to stop running due chronic knee injuries and a couple of arthroscopic clean outs of one knee. Recently I was consulting a very well respected physiotherapist about my knee who told me I had a 90 year old knee in a 70 year old body.

Of particular interest was his comment that orthopaedic surgeons generally encourage caution post surgery but acknowledged that the only way they learn the limits of what can be achieved by the human body is through the rebels who somewhat ignore their advice and continue to exercise to their personal limits.

Triathletes are not your average patient, especially in mature age, and sometime the guidelines that apply to the general populace are not really applicable.
Quote Reply
Re: Running after knee replacement [runmick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runmick wrote:
Hey Cookson,
It’s your local triathlete mickey from New Jersey. Some reason posts here and thought I would chime in. I had my total knee in October 2017. Road my bike 3 miles to my 2 week post op visit to doctor. At 10 1/2 weeks I flew to Florida for a sprint triathlon. Did 18 tri’s this season. Leg feels great. I’m a physical therapist. I’m not saying I am smart, just saying my knee is better than ever. No pain. Can even run.faster but keeping running to about 10 miles a week. Surgeon isn’t thrilled. “ my candle burns at both ends, it will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends it burns a beautiful light”
Mickey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Majority of my patients are hip and knee replacements. All the surgeons in the hospital agree: no running. Yes you are able to, yes you can be a rebel and experiment on yourself how long will it all last, yes you are biomechanically very good etc etc etc...excuses to continue something that you shouldn't do. What do you have to prove and to whom? I have seen in the hospital few of those rebels who know better...Rebels who needlessly occupy a hospital bed, needlessly put their families through another hospital event, rebels, who put themselves through another surgery much sooner then necessary and risk infections and all associated risks that goes with a surgery...For what? To do yet another triathlon?
Quote Reply

Prev Next