Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running advice needed
Quote | Reply
Wondered if anyone had got any advice for me.

During the last year I have taken massive leaps with cycling going from an ftp of 223 on 1/1 to 270 during my last ramp test at the same time having lost 21lbs. My swimming has also improved a lot going from a 400m time of 8 mins doing my first test last september to 6.48 in my most recent time trial but I feel that my running hasn't improved at the same rate at all.

i've been following the trainer road low volume plan and this week started a rebuild as I move towards Outlaw X 70.3 in September and I would really like a good run. It seems to me so much easier to improve swimming and cycling, swimming is all about being mindful of my stroke and to really push myself during my hard sets and cycling its just about consistently hitting my numbers but with running is it purely the case of putting in the mileage?
Quote Reply
Re: Running advice needed [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running is about volume and consistency. When I first started running, I couldn’t believe how many times I would get passed by older runners. But these are the guys who have put in thousands of miles year after year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me also suggest EASY miles. Aerobic training is usually dismissed, but usually comes up huge for lack of injury, gradual and manageable progress and aerobic base to build on. You can NOT run too easy......the runs will piece together well of you mind the effort.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much are you running each week. Once you get the volume up you also need to start running faster.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Running advice needed [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt, running is all about practice and consistency.
Quote Reply
Re: Running advice needed [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree with the others...run as much as you can. I participated in the 100 runs in 100 days and found it to be incredible in a sense that not only did it help build a solid base but legitimately helped improve my half marathon times. During the course of those 100+ days I didn't go crazy with distance but just put in at least 30 minutes and it was totally beneficial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty amazing how fast one can get on strictly aerobic running without efforts.

I'll take the dude who runs 40 easy/aerobic miles per week over the dude running 20 per week with some fast running

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consistency. Like others have said. I’m on a streak of over 2000 days. Some days are just a mile, but I did also do the 100/100 with those 30min easy days EASY. I proceeded to have my best 70.3 run split at Oside after this challenge. I am doing it again for my next 1/2.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s fairly simple. Build muscular endurance by running volume at relatively easy pace. To build that endurance frequency over total distance/run. In other words, the 100 days of running works because of the frequency.

Once running feels too easy then you are ready to incorporate more intensity. Put too much intensity in too soon and you’ll probably get injured.

Include twice a week sessions of running drills and Strides. The drills will teach you proper form without you having to think about while you are running, the strides put that form to use at speed which helps cement it into your natural running style. Go on you tube and search running drills.

Once you’ve been running for 3-4 weeks consistently doing the drills and strides with no issues it will never hurt to do a session of corners. Find a soccer or football field. Do a nice long leisurely warm up. Start in one corner do a controlled sprint (Never break form) to the opposite corner across the field. Use the base line as your recovery, walking to the other corner. You are essentially doing an X on the field. Start with 8 total work you way to 12. Do it no more than once a week but doing in once every two weeks to start is better.

Many cross country runners are doing this same thing right now. Their season is middle of August through November. Currently they are running lots of miles at relatively easy pace. They do drills and strides as directed by their coach. Many times that’s the warm up for every run. They head to the football field once a week to run corners to keep their leg speed up. This is all a build up because once August comes around they are doing some hard running with hill repeats, and some long intervals.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly suspect you are doing fine and there is nothing to worry about.

It is pretty much impossible to make big gains on all 3 of swim/bike/run unless you are going from grossly out of shape or grossly undertrained. And you've made very substantial gains on the bike + swim, so you shouldn't expect that the run will bump up anywhere near as much (unless you really were grossly undertrained!)

As well, the Trainerroad plans as written are very light on run volume in my opinion, even for a decent local AG-contending triathlete. I don't think I run excessively, yet when I was doing the TR plan, my running was literally cut nearly in half of what I like (but had more bike). I hoped for the best, but alas, I ended up having a very subpar run for what I'm used to on race day, meaning that the TR bike volume didn't compensate enough for my dramatically reduced run training. (I also didn't gain anywhere near enough on the bike split to offset my run losses, but that's a different story!)

You will likely need a different plan with more running, or a run focus block to see the big run gains. On the bright side, if you bumped your FTP up from 230s to 270s, I'll bet strongly that you'll see a similarly huge jump in run fitness once you focus on it and put in the volume.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 3, 19 16:09
Quote Reply